Problem with a QB - reversed sides again

I just started an Italian attacking, Canadian's defending Medium Probe and ended up with the Canadian defenders in the attacker's setup zone. I have a saved game if you need it but the map was "240Probe Med Rough 240.btt".

When you get to play once per day it can take two days to discover this problem and then you have to throw it all away and start over.

I would really like to know, is this usually caused by a map setting that can be tweaked by me? If so, I would like to check before using any map in the future. Frankly I am find this frustrating and it keeps happening, release after release. Please, if at all possible, enlighten me what setting(s) I should be checking before using a QB map.

Interesting - I recently had this happen to me in a PBEM QB (attack/defend in CMBN/CW 2.01 )

I received the opponent's file, opened it, then got called away from the PC and it sat there for about an hour.

When I returned, bought my units and clicked to deploy, I was in the defender's zone.

I wondered whether the tabbed out long delay had had anything to do with it.

So I closed the game, restarted it, opened the PBEM file and did it all again. And this time it deployed me correctly.

Just thought I'd mention this - did you try more than once ?

I can't know if my described delay had any effect, but it seems that even having the save game may not enable BFC to track the bug as it seems to be intermittent. It's also the first time it's happened to me in, like, forever. May even be the first time ever.

IIRC, the last time I stumbled across this, I was advised that reopening the game might fix the issue, but in my case it didn't, after half a dozen attempts. Annoying bug that it is, if it's intermittent, they're the hardest of all to track down and stomp.

I could be onto something here. I just reopened the turn file and all was well. What I did yesterday was select my forces and hit save. Then I opened up the saved game and I was in the wrong setup zone. I wonder if saving during deployment is what triggers this. I might just try that again too. But first I have a turn to play.

OK I have tried this:

Setup a PBEM when the turn comes back (002) pick my forces and hit go. Save the game. Open the game again - fail guys are in the attacker setup zone.

I reopened (002) pick my forces and hit go. All was good - saved it as (002_save) and reopen - fail guys are in the attacker setup zone.

So if this holds I should be able to reopen my original turn pick my forces and settings up - no saving and things should be fine.

That should help BFC figure this out. The one thing I have not done is start over and try to reproduce the broken after fail state. I *may* try that tomorrow - sounds like a job for a tester.

I just started an Italian attacking, Canadian's defending Medium Probe and ended up with the Canadian defenders in the attacker's setup zone. I have a saved game if you need it but the map was "240Probe Med Rough 240.btt".

When you get to play once per day it can take two days to discover this problem and then you have to throw it all away and start over.

I would really like to know, is this usually caused by a map setting that can be tweaked by me? If so, I would like to check before using any map in the future. Frankly I am find this frustrating and it keeps happening, release after release. Please, if at all possible, enlighten me what setting(s) I should be checking before using a QB map.

First of all try using the appropriate map. Your map is a meeting engagement map. So in your case the defender should also have a too small setup zone.

Generally all attacking, probing, assaulting QB maps are internally set to allies attacker, axis defender. So if Axis forces are the attacker the bug can, sometimes happen. To get around this you have to "repaint" the setup zones. Paint the Axis zone as the attacker zone and the Allies as the defender zone. Additionally you should edit the mission type too. In this case probe to Axis attacker/Allied defender. Save with a different name. And voila, the bug should not happen when you choose this edited map.

But be advised. This is only verified in CMBN. I have not yet stumbled upon this bug in CMFI. But I guess this should do the trick.

First of all try using the appropriate map. Your map is a meeting engagement map. So in your case the defender should also have a too small setup zone.

It is a probe map "240Probe Med Rough 240.btt". Thanks for the advice to solve the problem - that is indeed what I did yesterday after more attempts. I hope it works.