Well I finally figured out what is needed to get them in the Axis. Take Singapore :)

The bad news is they do not get a single unit. The entire country is empty. If you are not ready for this, British and Chinese troops will rush in. Hopefully this will be addressed in a patch since the Thi army was fairly large for a small country in the war.

Hi

The Thai army wasn't insignificant, but it's fighting power (tied in with the government's fighting spirit) wasn't that significant.

When the Japanese invaded in 1941, the Thai army only resisted the Japanese for a few hours, and the Thai government then made a deal with Japan whereby it became a puppet state.

So here we have the situation whereby the invader effectively gets an ally!

We have no way of really knowing whether or not the Thais would have provided any more noticeable resistance to a British or Chinese force, and given the pro-Allied feelings of many in the country, it is doubtful that an Allied force would have experienced more resistance.

So by leaving the capital open, Thailand is prey to whoever feels powerful enough to invade it, and then of course to fight over it with their opponent!

Yes but if forgien troops started invading their country, especially Chinese and British (and the army did fight Chinese troops in Burma), the army would have resisted a lot more. So maybe if non-Japanese troops cross the border the army appears. Otherwise half the country can be ocuppied before you can respond.

In my scenario for Gold I made Thailand a minor Ally of Japan because I needed her to provide a number of additional unit types for Japan to use. In particular weak Corps level units to simulate the nearly 2m Chinese warlord troops that fought under Japanese direction. This was the way I solved Japan not having enough regular units in China (historically about 40 divisions). That is not so necessary in AOD as the Cavalry Corps unit could play that part but I also used Thai BB's to be older IJN BBs such as Yamashiro, Thai DDs as minefields and Thai planes became late war Kamikazes and early war Maritime Recce.

It is not too much of a stretch to make Thailand a Japanese minor ally although many in the country opposed that and eventually a resistance movement of 100,000 or so started guerrilla ops. Thailand actually invaded French Indo-China after the fall of France with a reasonably equipped army of about 60,000 men to reclaim provinces "acquired" from them by the French colonialists. They were beating the French on land but suffered a defeat at sea when the Japanese offered to mediate and pretty well gave them their old provinces. The Thai army as a whole including reservists was of the order of 500,000 so a substantial force.

I have not finally decided what I will do about Thailand in any AOD variant scenarios but I am currently inclined to make her a minor ally of Japan again because I still want to differentiate the older BBs and have minefields again.

Regards

Mike