Foiling Fustian *SPOILERS*

I much prefer playing campaigns due to the force and ammo preservation economics that are usually required. In those campaigns that are designed with that in mind, there is a real motivation to keep casualties low and not waste ammo.

Anyhow, I hardly ever read much about campaigns, so here's a brief review of this 5 battle campaign that has you commanding an infantry force of FJ's (with 88's in some scenarios) and Italians (with a few assorted Italian AS vehicles in some battles) plus mortars and arty:

Battle 1: Interesting little night scenario introduction as your FJ's and Italian "Para Hunters" defend against Brit paras and then hunt down the survivors. Small but fun as one gets to attack for part.

Battle 2: Excellent daytime infantry assault scenario on a large-ish map with several attack options. One can really admire the great uniform graphics of the FJ's and (Veins) Italians. This one is replayable as there are attack options. 2nd time I managed to get a Total Victory with about 10% friendly casualties by using good tactics. Very satisfying and recommended for training on how to conduct an infantry assault.

Battles 3-4: Night-time again - defending with addition of 88's under massive Allied arty attack. As #2 was so good was disappointed with these. The AI doesn't attack well, so these were more a question of just sitting there hiding from the arty, and letting the tac AI fight the battle for you. All one really can do is place the 88's well and allocate arty in defense and get through to the next battle. #4 was similar.

Battle 5 was an early am assault so visibility gets better as time goes by. Again, you have to enjoy inf attacks to like this battle and the campaign.

But, Battle 2 was outstanding and would be xnt as a standalone.

I agree, battle #2 was good fun. I planned on skipping #3 (and now #4) for the same reason you didn't like it; AI doesn't attack very well. I'll go right to #5. (I'll be jumping out of the campaign and going direct to #5 now that Mad Mike updated his Scenario organizer for GL.)

The other disconcerting thing I noticed when attacking tanks with infantry in woods at night/predawn with smoke drifting around - is that the buttoned Shermans were able to spot (and decimate my infantry) way too easily than you would expect. It was as if the Shermans were equipped with modern infrared/night vision technology that could see at night and thru smoke.

Something I hope others can comment on.

I really like the 2nd mission as well. It kinda reminded me of the British in CMSF with all their light but fast vehicles. The unlikely force composition of a signals company fighting as infantry, an Italian blackshirt company and of course the scout car company supported by 88mm AA guns as artillery (!) made this extremely entertaining.

I actually enjoyed the night battle in the woods against tanks. My 88s got pummeled by arty in the battle before, so it was all on FJs to close assault with demo charges against tanks. I was successful by breaking squads into teams and ambushing / rushing the tanks from 4 different directions. I was able to kill four tanks with acceptable losses this way.

• 1 year later...

I really enjoyed Battle 2 as well - a really well designed battle, with loads of options from the attacker's side and lots of replay possibility. (Very) light armour didn't dominate the battlefield. Anyone know the designer?

Not so keen on 1 and 3, I find defending battles don't work for me really. Going to play 4 now.

...Not so keen on 1 and 3, I find defending battles don't work for me really. Going to play 4 now.

Then why defend? I love turning it around on the attacker with a well setup /planned counterattack. Sometimes attacking before the "attacker" attacks. :D

Of course force composition sometimes can limit this, however this is also when you can catch the "attacker" off guard by hitting him on the nose when not expecting it. :D

I really enjoyed Battle 2 as well - a really well designed battle, with loads of options from the attacker's side and lots of replay possibility. (Very) light armour didn't dominate the battlefield. Anyone know the designer?

ChrisND

Also, why is this topic in the Mod section? :confused:

Then why defend? I love turning it around on the attacker with a well setup /planned counterattack. Sometimes attacking before the "attacker" attacks. :D

Of course force composition sometimes can limit this, however this is also when you can catch the "attacker" off guard by hitting him on the nose when not expecting it. :D

Hmmm, I did try a local counter-attack at the end of the scenario to push the allied troops out of a Victory Location - I thought with all the artillery I had dropped on them they wouldn't put up much resistance.... I think I took half of my total casualties in two turns. You must be a better counter-attacker than me!

Hmmm, I did try a local counter-attack at the end of the scenario to push the allied troops out of a Victory Location - I thought with all the artillery I had dropped on them they wouldn't put up much resistance.... I think I took half of my total casualties in two turns. You must be a better counter-attacker than me!

Oh no no, I meant in general. I haven't even played this scenario as of yet. :D

The CMSF area has a SCENARIOS AND MODS section, and ever since I think we've assumed that MODS section is where we also talk about scenarios.

Umm, no, this section is to discuss user-made mods and scenarios for the game. Considering that the CMFI forum doesn't have much traffic as it is, and Foiling Fustian comes straight from BF, it doesn't make any sense to tuck away this topic in a subforum. You don't see people talking about Road to Montebourg or Courage and Fortitude in the Mods & Scenarios section of CMBN, do you?