Quick battle problem

Hey guys, I have a question regarding the ai on defense in quick battles.

Seeing as the AI is horrible at attacking, I figured I would let it defend and I would attack. As I began to play a scenario I noticed that I wasn't running into...anything. After about 10 turns and most of the map I found the ai units all facing the wrong direction with most of them at the main spawn.

Now was this because of the map/force selection I picked for them, or are there no plans for defense on these maps?

Thanks.

Salute!

I've had a similar problem with two QBs. AI simply doesn't layout the opposing force.

I've attached two files. "Layout" shows a tight cluster of German troops presumably where they started. The anti-tank guns in particular would have come in quite handy had they been deployed. The AI did sprinkle some light armor around the map, which made me think I had a real battle on my hands until after I cease-fired and looked at the results. The QB Map stats file shows the parameters for the map.

As this is the second time this has happened to me, I'm naturally getting a little concerned. How do we fix this?

Thanks!

post-2036-141867624743_thumb.jpg

post-2036-141867624744_thumb.jpg

@Von Fauster; can you tell me which map you're using in the first screenshot? I'll have a look at #114 which seems to be the one you were using in the second screenshot and get back.

/sdp

After about 10 turns and most of the map I found the ai units all facing the wrong direction with most of them at the main spawn.

I have noticed this in several of my games. I.e., soldiers facing the wrong way and/or set up in locations that make no sense. Partly the second problem can sometimes be a consequence of the first in that units were near or adjacent to cover, but were on the wrong side due to the facing issue. Unless there is some kind of bug in the relevant code, my guess is that the AI plan was botched and insufficiently tested.

Michael

I have noticed this in several of my games. I.e., soldiers facing the wrong way and/or set up in locations that make no sense. Partly the second problem can sometimes be a consequence of the first in that units were near or adjacent to cover, but were on the wrong side due to the facing issue. Unless there is some kind of bug in the relevant code, my guess is that the AI plan was botched and insufficiently tested.

Michael

The other thing that is sometimes screwy is the "friendly map edges" designation. I recently fought on a map where the direction of attack was N-S, but the friendly edges were East and West... Meant that fleeing troops were racing across the front of the enemy, instead of away from them, since it was a human v human game. If the AI had been involved, its troops would probably have been set up to defend entirely the wrong direction...

The idea of having setup hotspots for the AI is a good one, and it works well for scenarios, where the designer categorises their force in the unit-picker and can define particular spots on the map as suitable for different elements of their force.

It would be cool if a map could be set up such that setup hotspots could be defined, for use a QB, as appropriate for certain types of unit. E.g., you could define a location on the map as suitable for AT guns, MG nests, armour, entrenched infantry - that sort of thing. That would really help the AI to do a better setup.

Ok, thanks. I'll check the map and get back. If there's something missing in the map we'll make sure it get fixed in the next patch/hotfix.

/sdp

After playing battlefront games for 13 years, I'm not the least bit worried. I know if something needs fixin', it'll get fixed. Carry on!

• 8 years later...

9 years later . . . does this have a fix (under newest v2.11)?  Picking Allied attacker on "attack" QB map that ships with game results in defending axis all clumped at back edge / corner?  You set everything up, meticulously proceed turn by turn across the map without resistance, and an hour later you realize defender setup is, well, not setup at all?

8 years later - you are now about to be renamed as 'Necromancer' 😀.

However, still a good question and I imagine 'nowt' has changed in that respect, at least with some of the maps.  Having said that, when I started not that long ago I had quite a few decent encounters with AI opponents in QBs, but I think if you want to be sure of a more challenging experience it's better to play something not QB, in other words a scenario that one of the lovely stock or non-stock designers has laboriously worked on and had play-tested.  And for a challenging opponent PBEM is the way, but not to everyone's taste - took me a while to give it a try but would recommend it. Of course I may be talking to my granny about sucking eggs, or whatever that old expression is 😬.