Minor glitchs

Working my through the game still and have noticed some issue that I think need to be fixed.

Russia

The tech research for them needs to be reduced a LOT. In '41 they have level 2 Inf and lv 2 tanks :eek: So until war occurs, Russia should be very restrictive in it's research abilities.

First winter evvets need to be modified to only effect units well into Russia. Russia attacked Germany in late '41. Units that were barely across the Russian border got hit. The winter should not affect any unit unless they way beyond the original Polish borders. So maybe add a 'Weather Line' to the map to indicate where the winter will effect units?

Russia attacked Germany in my game. In that case I really doubt anyone would give them lend lease, especially the US. Also if invading Britian is what cased this, it should be based on the number of opposing troops on the border, not just the fact that England was invaded. Stalin was an opportunist and would not have gone to war (especially in the fall/winter of '41) if the troop ratio was not heavily in Russia's favor.

Maybe an event for Russia that fires in Sept '41 if Germany did not attack that would start increasing their production and research in order to prepare for a war in '42 or '43

IndoChina area

Thiland should join the Axis at some point without any need for spending diplomancy on it. Japan is at war with the Allies and Thiland is still netural.

Dutch East Indies

Not sure why they are not automaticly in the Allies since historically they were. The Dutch GiE still controlled the area and were still at war with Germany. So attacking them should not need a seperate DoW nor should they be able to be infulenced with diplomancy.

North Africa

Several issues here. Italy now owns the Suez yet I am still getting the message that supply in East Africa is being effected by the Suez :confused: Obviously this needs to be adjusted somehow.

Malta affecting supply event should completly stop once Alexandria is captured. Also, rather than forcing the player to have to figure out a way to actually take Malta, this should be done by event. If the Germans REALLY wanted to take Malta they easily could have, at a cost of course. So an event saying German will need to spend X points and Malta falls to Germany would be nice. I would suggest a 200 points/turn for 4 turns would cover what German would have needed to commit in game terms to get the island.

GB AI

Britian AI sends way too many forces outside of Britain. When I invaded, they only had like six ground forces (Corps or less in size) including counting the Home Guard. With 1 HQ, 1 Army, 1 HQ, plus about 3-5 Corps, I was easily able to overrun the defenders. So there needs to be some way to force the AI to keep troops in Britian to a certain level.

Also they reinforce units in Africa and elsewhere before they reinforce units in Britian. Which seems really odd.

Diplomancy

I have had a 25% chance to influence Spain for almost 2 years in the game and have not gotten a single hit yet. On average I should have about 1 hit ever four turns yet nothing after two years of game turns. If Spain is being countered influenced by someone else, then this needs to told to the player somehow each turn. Otherwise they will thing the game is bugged (like I do) instead of everything working like it should.

Just some observations that I think the game needs to tighten up in order to make in a better experience.:)

haven't played much of AoD, but my experience in Gold, which seems to be very close to AoD:

Russia needs that tech - level 2 tanks and inf in 41 is not out of line IMO.

Sounds like you went after England instead of Russia. if you had done the opposite, you may have seen Russia getting walked on and then you could see the need for tech.

I think dutch indies are neutral as a play balance thing.

I could see malta still hurting supply to Africa even if the axis held suez, but I like your malta event idea!

How on earth could Malta effect NA supply in the canal area? Just run convoys from Athens to Alexandria and Malta would have zero effect. You could also sail from Taranto or Vience and Malta again has no impact. The only convoys Malta impacted were the ones that went to Tripoli. So the only port Malta should affect would be that one. The rest of the ports should be imune to the event.

Interesting thoughts numdydar, thanks, and I just want to explain about the Dutch East Indies, as they are neutral because up until 1941 their oil is important to the Japanese economy, and they are providing Japan with income via a convoy.

Their neutrality also limits the forces the Allies can build up in the area prior to Japan going to war with the UK and USA. Thus a new front opens up, literally, for both sides when Japan takes the war to the Pacific.

Russia

The tech research for them needs to be reduced a LOT. In '41 they have level 2 Inf and lv 2 tanks :eek: So until war occurs, Russia should be very restrictive in it's research abilities.

Tank techs wouldn't be such an issue if tank tech advances would affect only hard attack values, not soft attack values. If a German level 0 tank would be nearly as effective against infantry as a german level 3 tank, than it would be less interessting to upgrade each tank as soon as possible.

And if there would be 10 tank upgrade instead of 3, or maybe even 15 possible levels, where only every 3rd or fourth would bring any real combat advance, than it would become less and less important to research permanently tank advances. Image a world, where the player who wants to take the lead in the tech race would have to research 3 blank levels, while the quick follower would have only to research 1 or 2 levels instead (as he can learn from captured tanks). The blanks between each real advance could melt away every x turns where both side play on the same tech level.

I think that it is not so realistic that a nation which is leading in the tech races invest too much money into better weapons. But if it does, it has to pay more to develop the basics.

First winter evvets need to be modified to only effect units well into Russia. Russia attacked Germany in late '41. Units that were barely across the Russian border got hit. The winter should not affect any unit unless they way beyond the original Polish borders. So maybe add a 'Weather Line' to the map to indicate where the winter will effect units?

I agree. Winter effect is the result of the german plan to blitz through Russia. It is not that Germany didn't had any winter clothing etc. They decided to leave these supplies in the back, gambling that they would have finished Russia first and could bring them in later.

No Blitzkrieg gamble = no Russian winter effect.

(Malta)

If the Germans REALLY wanted to take Malta they easily could have, at a cost of course.

And that is true for this game as well. Bring in a HQ and enough fighter, a paratrooper or an amphib unit, and you can get it too, if you really want to.

When Germany started Barbarossa, they withdrew most of their planes from Italy to Russia. They could have taken Malta instead, but than Barbarossa would have to be postponed, or the Germans would have faced much more resistance, as the USSR would have ruled the skies.

A decision event would allow you both, a luxury the Axis didn't had.

Diplomancy

I have had a 25% chance to influence Spain for almost 2 years in the game and have not gotten a single hit yet. On average I should have about 1 hit ever four turns yet nothing after two years of game turns. If Spain is being countered influenced by someone else, then this needs to told to the player somehow each turn. Otherwise they will thing the game is bugged (like I do) instead of everything working like it should.

That is probably just bad luck. And maybe your opponent countered your diplomatic actions with his own chits. Who knows.

I had games where i got a lucky diplo hits early on.

:)

Interesting thoughts numdydar, thanks, and I just want to explain about the Dutch East Indies, as they are neutral because up until 1941 their oil is important to the Japanese economy, and they are providing Japan with income via a convoy.

Their neutrality also limits the forces the Allies can build up in the area prior to Japan going to war with the UK and USA. Thus a new front opens up, literally, for both sides when Japan takes the war to the Pacific.

In that case could the game just leave them off the list of countries to influance? As there was no way the DEI would have joined the Axis, but in the game they could. Provided you wanted to invest enough points into them.

And that is true for this game as well. Bring in a HQ and enough fighter, a paratrooper or an amphib unit, and you can get it too, if you really want to.

When Germany started Barbarossa, they withdrew most of their planes from Italy to Russia. They could have taken Malta instead, but than Barbarossa would have to be postponed, or the Germans would have faced much more resistance, as the USSR would have ruled the skies.

A decision event would allow you both, a luxury the Axis didn't had.

You are still taking points away from the Germans which is the same effect as taking the units an running an operation with them. Since losing 200 points for 4 turns (or whatever number is used and for how long) prevents new units from being bought which reflects they are tied up in the Malta operation. Plus, you do not get any new units for the event execpt maybe a garrision on Malta. So to me, it does have the same effect.

Italy now owns the Suez yet I am still getting the message that supply in East Africa is being effected by the Suez

Hi numdydar

I've checked the scripts and this will happen if the Allies still hold Cairo, but capturing that will end it.

For the Diplomacy, one thing you can do is to view the Reports in game. These will show some of the things your opponent has been up to, not only unit purchases but also research and how much it has been investing in diplomacy.

True, it doesn't show you in what countries the diplomacy has been invested, but you can at least gauge the scale of its investments from it.

That makes sense Bill. However, the UK was still investing in Dip when England was being overrun. So can this be imporved so that if Germany has captured a port and/or London, all resources go to new units and only units in the UK get rebuilt? Until no more Germans are oshore. Because right now the AI keeps way too few units in the UK.

You are still taking points away from the Germans which is the same effect as taking the units an running an operation with them. Since losing 200 points for 4 turns (or whatever number is used and for how long) prevents new units from being bought which reflects they are tied up in the Malta operation. Plus, you do not get any new units for the event execpt maybe a garrision on Malta. So to me, it does have the same effect.

Well, the money drainage would hurt, of course.

But in the end you can't use what you don't have.

Not even for money.

But if you would go this way, than Malta should only fall AFTER you spent all the required money, there is no invasion credit bank.

And there should be a chance that the UK player get the option to counter this event.

That is a great concept xwormwood. It could easily be added to the game as a diplomancy option. Make Malta independent like the DEI and both sides could 'influence' it. You could even make the square impassable so that would be the only way you could get it too.

As long as Malta was at 50% or more Allied, the event could fire. Or whatever percent was decided. On the Allied side, the points expended could be considered the effort to keep Malta supplied and operational against a more determined 'effort' by Germany to take it :)