Ups and downs

After looking at some battlefield maps from the Ardennes - with a lot of hills and ridges and valleys - I was wondering about the map editor's abilities to re-create this kind of surroundings for CM. How, e.g., will we be able to create hills? Would this be more like assigning a "highest point" of the hill with the computer taking over the rest of the calculations, or will we be able to actually "draw" the outlines of hills?

Also - although I think this has been answered some time ago but I can't find it - will there be a maximum height difference between the lowest and highest points on the map?

And finally, will there be a MINIMUM height difference that you can assign to a hill (e.g. 3 feet) ?

Guest Big Time Software

Actually, we are tweaking elevations as I type this! So a timely question for sure smile.gif

There are 9 elevations allowed. Each one is 3m higher in elevation. You do not have to make gental slopes either (another benefit of 3D). For instance, I just made a Height 8 cliff. Nobody is getting up there without wings smile.gif

You sculpt elevations as you see fit. CM doesn't do anything to help/hinder this. The results will only be as realstic as you make 'em because CM allows you to do things that nature would never have allowed!

Minimum height is 3m. If you have the map's standard elevation set to "0", then the highest hill you can have would be 24m high. If you did something like set the standard elevation to "5", then you could have a 12m deep valley and a 12m high set of hills.

Steve

Moon,

I ordered you to sunbathe. Leave the computer and go NOW ;).

Seriously though.. Good question. How are miniature rolls in terrain handled? I'm presuming we won't see them but instead there'll be a generalised drop-off in LOS % to far-away targets correct?

P.s. Keep on trucking. Avoid E3 and bring us the game hehe ;)..I'm REALLY looking forward to PBEMing this baby this summer.. Hmm ooh someone had better arrange a ladder system for this baby so everyone can worship me as the supreme CM player (BANG.. head explodes from excessive ego-driven cerebral expansion ;) )..

Still, it's a thought..

So there will be a multiplayer feature?

If so, what features will it have?

Will you just fight regular battles like in Close Combat?

Oh and by the way, I could REALLY use some new screenshots/FAQs.

Guest Big Time Software

First of all, Moon -> stay OUT of the sun! We Americans know how pasty white you Europeans are! If I had a dime for every one I have seen burnt to a crisp on our beaches I could fund 2 game companies at the same time smile.gif "Meiner Fleisch ist sehr rot! Was ist die problem?" :) (forgive the horrible German, it has been a while!)

Minor rolls in the terrain are just built into the LOS system. Major disruptions of surface are simulated with "broken" terrain. Larger bumps can of course be added by raising or lowering the elevation.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Bog, two player TCP/IP, PBEM, and hotseat are the options for multiplayer. You will be able to play pre-made scenarios and campaigns, as well as ones created by fellow gamers.

We are hard at work making some videos for you. More screenshots are on the way as well. Sorry they haven't been done sooner, but we have been VERY busy. All will be explained later smile.gif

Steve

Fionn - there is nothing more relaxing than a cold beer after a day in the sun and a quick look at this message board... another explanation would be that I am simply addicted smile.gif

Steve - sorry, too late - "mein Fleisch ist sehr rot" already... Guess I owe you a dime smile.gif

Guest Big Time Software

Well, Steve started it. It's now time for Really Broken German from English Speakers!

"Meine Haut ist durch die Sonne gekocht worden. Ich bin in den extremen Schmerz. Sogar verletzt das Licht vom Computermonitor mich. Ich muß Bier trinken, um gesund zu sein."

Charles

> We are hard at work making some videos for you. More screenshots are

> on the way as well. Sorry they haven't been done sooner, but we have

> been VERY busy. All will be explained later [iNLINE]

*sigh* You're such a tease... I think you should just leak an Alpha, and we'll make an updated FAQ for you wink.gif

No kidding!

Want grass roots marketing? No problem! Dayly updates evaluating the game, discussion about what is in the game and comparison to other games? You've got it! I think that many here would agree with my sentament (sp?). Let US take care of all the peripheral stuff! Maybe CM can get out a bit earlier, eh?

Come on... let us help you out! ;)

(We wish, eh, people?)

Excuse me but I really need to protest most strongle at the tone of this thread which has most regrettably shifted totally away from the focus which I, and I am sure others, would like to maintain.

Sure, talking about hyping CM and talking about minor dips and rolls in the ground is all well and good but I think we should all realise there are far more important related matters to discuss.

I would like to point you here to some of BTS' and my earlier posts on this board which, while tangentially related to the specific game mechanics were clearly focused on the important matter of Moon's sunburn.

I have it on reliable information that Moon is now as red as a lobster and I feel that this thread should now be devoted to discussion of and indeed slander of aforementioned redness.

Please let's get back to the main purpose of this thread and explore this matter more fully.

P.s. I will judge the best anti-sunburnt Moon post (extra marks will be given for obfuscation and veiling of insults and downright threats. Subtlety a definite bonus ) ;)..

This thread was getting FAR too on-topic for me... ;)..

P.s. Just as an aside.. Have you ever pondered the insanity which leads anarchists to ORGANISE meetings and rallies? I saw a rally organised by the Anarchist Party today in Dublin ;).. Surely by even ORGANISING resistance to the status quo they are actually selling out. Talk about a lose lose situation.

P.p.s. It's late and I promise to reboot my brain before logging in again ;).