Graphics question

I'm hoping Herbert sees this :)

I do not care for the 3d units and use the old military ones that I grew up with. In AoD armies and corps look almost identical. I find this is messing me up. Would it be possible with the first patch to do something like perhaps making the box the X is in for corps smaller, or anything that would make it easier to distinguish?

While I'm at it, there has always been a problem where you can't see the level of enemy units with military icon like you can the 3d ones. Of course I can see the numbers if I'm up close, but further away you can't tell, whereas those who use the 3d icons can tell because the unit looks different.

Would it be possible to have the numbers show up from further away to even this out?

By the way, thanx for another great game to destroy what little free time I have. And thanx for listening whenever we have issues!

Wouldn't work for me, i would always doubt my eyesight.

But i agree nevertheless, it would be very nice if the appearance could be a unique one. I suggested something like this during the beta phase as well.

But there was, is and will be always so much to do, so little time, and the next project just around the corner.

:)

If i could, i would offer for all unit types unique pictures. Even if i would have to use SC2, SC Pacific and / or SC WW1 bitmaps.

And i wouldn't stop there, i would try to give each unit a new picture for every purchased tech upgrade. Granted, that would take much time, but it would be a nice farewell present for the SC 2 game engine.

I even started to doodle some bitmaps on my own. They didn't looked as good as the standard bitmaps, but a) it was fun to do it and B) i can live with a lesser perfect alternative picture roster, if it would be a complete one (pictures for every new upgrade for every major country).

Maybe we (the users) should create a new thread, asking the other players which unit they would like to see improved, which tech advance they want to see with a different picture effect etc.

Once the list is complete, we could start a second thread asking for new pictures. Those players who like to get creative could upload there pictures.

And after a couple of pictures have been uploaded, we could ask or look for an enthusiast, wo is a) able to put the new units into the unit bitmap roster and B) to adapt them so long until they look like they have to (correcting shadows and all other probably nescessary adjustment).

Ah, i have to stop dreaming.

:)

Unless, of course, i'm not the only silly guy around.

;)

thanx for replies.

@Amadeus and everyone else:

Thanx for the input, but I use the military icons, not the 3d ones. With the military icons, armies and corps look very close to the same. Also, spotted enemies with less than full info don't tip me off as to the tech level like they do with the 3d icons because the military ones only have numbers for tech (the unit picture does not change with tech upgrades).

I would like the partial info sightings to include numbers for tech to even this up. Hope this makes sense.

This might be too much to ask, but I remember an add for SC2 that was great. Someone made simple sideways pictures for the military icons. The simple pictures changed with tech upgrades. This was way better for me. The 3d icons are just too cluttered and awkward for me to use.

Although I don't have the game anymore, here is something similar to what I mean:

The shadow is so much easier for me to use! Just change the picture to show upgrades.

thanks for listening.

post-19303-141867624738_thumb.jpg

In AoD armies and corps look almost identical. I find this is messing me up.

Agreed - i have the same issue.

Would it be possible with the first patch to do something like perhaps making the box the X is in for corps smaller, or anything that would make it easier to distinguish?

Maybe make the colours contrast more?

Don't you get a unit definition in the lower left screen when mousing over a deployment? Only requires a glance in my gameplay activities.

Not sure I understand you, it does not show tech level, unless there is a way that I have not figured out.

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I'm going to mod the NATO symbols myself before I start another game.

Haven't decided quite what colors yet. I'm thinking the smallest infantry gets a black background like artillery units, the middle size is the same color as the base counter, and the biggest size retains the white infantry box.

Something like the attached image, which is a little crude, but close to what I had in mind

post-19160-141867624739_thumb.png

Yeah, I noticed the same thing. I'm going to mod the NATO symbols myself before I start another game.

Haven't decided quite what colors yet. I'm thinking the smallest infantry gets a black background like artillery units, the middle size is the same color as the base counter, and the biggest size retains the white infantry box.

Something like the attached image, which is a little crude, but close to what I had in mind

i would be interested in getting this from you when it is done, at least until I see if this is fixed!