Install limits?

Apologies for asking this because I know it has been answered many times before, I just can't remember what the answer was!

Is there a limit on how many different computers i can install AOD, or indeed any of the other games, on?

Thanks

AoD comes with 4 licenses and so it can then be installed on up to 4 different machines but uninstalled and reinstalled on each of those machines as many times as you like provided you haven't formatted the hard drive or updated the OS to the point that the previous install information is no longer available.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

AoD comes with 4 licenses and so it can then be installed on up to 4 different machines but uninstalled and reinstalled on each of those machines as many times as you like provided you haven't formatted the hard drive or updated the OS to the point that the previous install information is no longer available.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

hi hubert

a couple of questions

1) Do you mean that if i uninstall from my PC i free up one of the licences? I chane PCs / hard drives fairly frequently and am a bit worried that i may reach my limit and not be able to play the game.

2) I have 2 PCs - i did a full install on one - all fine. For the second PC i copied the Battlefront folder rather run install. The base games run Ok but the expansions say the base game is not installed - is there an easy way to make AoC/AoD recognise the game files i have copied across.

thanks

I really wish Battlefront would stop with those stupid activations...

it seems they believe that it reduces piracy, but since it is no problem to "fix" an illegally downloaded copy in a few seconds I don't see how it helps in any way.

What it does though is annoy the customers who bought it legitimately.

If they want to prevent that users just copy the files and send it to their buddies - fine, I can understand that. But Matrix/Slitherine manage to prevent that with their installers too, without that retarded 4 activation limit and without requiring internet access.

another question - going back to item 2 in my first post

2) I have 2 PCs - i did a full install on one - all fine. For the second PC i copied the Battlefront folder rather run install. The base games run Ok but the expansions say the base game is not installed - is there an easy way to make AoC/AoD recognise the game files i have copied across.

As part of trying to set up the game on the "copied" version i input the serial codes and they were accepted. If it turns out, as it probably will, that i have to re-install the game properly then does this mean i have used up the third of my 4 license keys!!!!!

Thank you Hubert for your quick reply.

Can you clarify that this means I can have the games installed on 4 machines at the same time, and if I subsequently uninstall it on one machine I could then install it on a separate fifth machine using the licence "freed up" from the uninstalled one?

Thanks

thanks for the link Moon

answered most questions but i still need to know if i have lost an activation from the "copy" install i tried on my second PC : EDIT and if can recover this "copy" install to make AoD/Aoc work

the activation system is too restrictive for me - i won't be buying anymore games from Battlefront

hi hubert

a couple of questions

1) Do you mean that if i uninstall from my PC i free up one of the licences? I chane PCs / hard drives fairly frequently and am a bit worried that i may reach my limit and not be able to play the game.

thanks

Hi Sanderz,

1) There is no license to free up, it is simply used as you get 4 install licenses, i.e. each time you enter the license code it has used an install. However you can uninstall and reinstall on the same machine as often as you like and it won't ask you for the license key again unless your machine has changed to the point that the original installation information is no longer available.

For additional licenses, from the knowledge base:

In addition to the above 4 activations, you

can add one extra activation to your key every 365 days. In order

to do this, please point your browser to http://www.battlefront.com/activate.

You will be asked to login and enter your license key.

2) Just copying over the base game won't be enough for the AoC/AoD expansions to work, you'll have to "install" the base game for the expansions to work properly.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

Given the amount of research (1 2 3) which suggests such DRM does not do anything to tackle piracy (in fact being detrimental to legal users), has there been any serious discussion as to whether to keep on doing the whole license activation deal?

So if i have 4 licenses i assume i can get a friend to install the game on their PC as they will use up one of 'my' licenses?? I'm assuming that the people who run the third party licensing application wouldn't be able to tell.