Do you save and reload often?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Erwin

Well, as glad as I am that you appreciate the Road to Dinas, I really don't believe that you are a fan of my work at all. Look at your intrusive 'Gawd, not another 'find the trick to win' comment you made when somebody was giving me feedback on the Scottish Corridor. The Grainville map is a very detailed and accurate map and so siting an important AT asset is a real challenge that a real commander would face fighting at Grainville. I didn't contrive the map to make it a puzzle. The battleground and the OBs are what they were or as close to it as I could manage and nothing more. The unfounded implication that I made it 'tricksy' is insulting to the designer and shows no respect for the immense amount of hard work put in to make something like that.

Also, when I informed you that the Scottish Corridor campaign was scripted to send the player to easier version if he was losing missions, you made that rather snide remark about 'failing upwards'. You seem so determined to be pissed off with my work that I really wonder why you bother playing my stuff at all.

And as I said I would describe your designs as some of the very best

Nice, but really, your compliment doesn't really hold up when you read the posts you've made in those threads I posted links to earlier. You will see all those comments about my designs requiring solving puzzles to win, designed for wrist twitchers (nasty! and no apology either), and that missions should be winnable first time through using sensible tactics etc. These seem to be your real sentiments seeing as how you're still voicing them just as harshly fifteen months on.

Fair enough, you don't actually insult the designers personally, call us idiots or morons or anything like that. And it's good for us to get constructive negative feedback on our work as well. A good designer will appreciate honest criticism when he gets it. (That's why the revised Scottish Corridor veteran mission #13 will not have Panthers in it.) But your particular form of criticism is not what I'd call constructive criticism at all. Maybe it's a problem of my perception but I'm not alone if it is ;)

Wow. I am really aghast/stunned at your attitude PT since I have played just about all your designs and have enjoyed 95%+ of them, and have been one of your biggest fans and vocal in my enthusiasms for your work. So, people have to worship everything you do otherwise you throw a snit fit? Really?

Speaking as someone who has been paid to review cardboard and computer wargames and spent 10 years designing "realistic" DoD sims, I learned to appreciate and value very harsh critiques as that made me better at my job.

Perhaps I don't have the extensive professional experience at creating wargames and scenarios that you do. However, in my time in the biz, I learned that to take negative comments personally is immature. I am genuinely dismayed.

Wow. I am really aghast/stunned at your attitude PT since I have played just about all your designs and have enjoyed 95%+ of them

Really? Why? Have you not read those threads I posted links to? Nothing much that I haven't said to you already while addressing your concerns.

So, people have to worship everything you do otherwise you throw a snit fit? Really?

LOL. This is more honest of you. Thank you. And I'mnot aghast/stunned that you have failed to address any of the remarks I have made about the manner in which you convey your feedback to the designer. There is no contrition at all. Instead, I am expected to be mollified by your false praise. Now that would make me a rather shallow fellow indeed.

Speaking as someone who has been paid to review cardboard and computer wargames and spent 10 years designing "realistic" DoD sims, I learned to appreciate and value very harsh critiques as that made me better at my job.

The thing is, I did listen to your feedback and designed the Scottish Corridor campaign to have variable difficulty but you didn't appreciate it, did you? You just found new ways to be negative with a snide twist to it in doing so. And this is not my job. I'm not getting paid to do it like you were being paid in your job. Your bosses doled out harsh criticism and you're a better [X] for it. Good for you. I've had that in my career as well but the thing is, you're not my boss.

Perhaps I don't have the extensive professional experience at creating wargames and scenarios that you do.

I have no professional experience of scenario design at all. This has never been anything other than a hobby for me. I am an enthusiast who was invited to join the team, that's all.

FWIW, I don't come here to fight with posters and I'm not going to engage with you any more, Erwin. I've obviously lost my patience with you and so it's best for all of us , you, me and the community, if I put you on my Ignore list and we can both happily continue to enjoy CMBN, me designing and you ... whatever.

You don't need a selectable option for this.

All I do is save the game using the same file name each time. When you save the game, it usually has a save game file name like this:

[The Road to Montebourg 001]

All I do is hit backspace four times and get this:

[The Road to Montebourg]

I then save the game using that name every time. It keeps me from stacking up dozens of savegames, and it keeps me from using savegames to travel back in time. So basically, I've been playing CMBN in "Ironman" mode from the very beginning.

I have to say this is the way I enjoy playing the game. To me the enjoyment comes from remembering this game is based on events that actually happened in real life. I get the chance to see if I would have been a decent commander or not. Sometimes I win big, some times I lose big. Either way it was fun.

I don't think anyone would argue that on June 7, 1944 Erwin Rommel would have loved to "reload" back to June 5 because the Allies had "exploited a glitch" by dropping paratroopers all over the place and not attacking at Pas-de-Calais. :D

If I lose half my troops in a single turn to a mistake, oh well, learn from it and move along. Maybe replay the mission in a few weeks time and try again. At least I am still alive to have the chance to try again.

I don't think anyone would argue that on June 7, 1944 Erwin Rommel would have loved to "reload" back to June 5 because the Allies had "exploited a glitch" by dropping paratroopers all over the place and not attacking at Pas-de-Calais. :D

If I lose half my troops in a single turn to a mistake, oh well, learn from it and move along. Maybe replay the mission in a few weeks time and try again. At least I am still alive to have the chance to try again.

I think it's a great way of playing, but sometimes things just happen that are ridiculous. Yesterday for example I tried to send an assault team through a clear gap in a hedgerow, but they refused to cross that point and took the long way around instead. And got shot down for that. I later tried again with another unit, and they also refused to cross the gap. Seems there was an issue with the map, so the gap was shown but didn't really exist.. In those cases, I would be OK with reloading (I didn't though)

I do it same way as Bulletpoint: if i feel the game engine kinda cheated on me, i reload the game. I save regularly to avoid me getting information from these reloads that i wouldnt have got without them. For example yesterday i accidentialy gave a tank crew a "bail out" order instead of a "pause" order and they all died as a result :D.

I do it same way as Bulletpoint: if i feel the game engine kinda cheated on me, i reload the game. I save regularly to avoid me getting information from these reloads that i wouldnt have got without them. For example yesterday i accidentialy gave a tank crew a "bail out" order instead of a "pause" order and they all died as a result :D.

That has to be a hard letter to write to the folks back home...