Problem RUnning Different Versions

I and other players (but I don't think all) are having insurmountable problems running two versions of SCG. This didn't use to be a problem in the older versions of SC, I think its new to SCG.

I do the normal procedure, copy the game to a differently named folder, i.e., v3, then download the 1.03 patch there. Everything seems to be working fine, and then at the very, very end of the patching process, when I hit finish, I get a prompt that it didn't work. I sent this prompt word-for-word to your help guy but he didn't respond. Then, if I try to get into my v2 game it doesn't work. So I have to go into the v3 folder and delete the patch and my v2 game works again.

This didn't happen in the older versions of SC, I used to be able to finish my games in the older version and start up new games with the latest patch. Now we're handcuffed to finishing the older version games or agreeing to call them and starting new games with the latest patch. If you can't find what I sent your help guy I'll try again this weekend and type it word-for-word again on this thread, buy my guess is that you could replicate it easily. I'm using Windows 7 btw. Also, if the solution is to put a brand new version of the v0 game to a new folder and then patch it I suspect you're going to have to help many people...like me, who did not save the game info when I downloaded. I just downloaded and off I went. I long ago deleted the e-mail that had any of the initial download info, so you would have to supply me with that code again.

Bob

Hi Jollyguy,

I don't think anything has changed on my end to prevent you from installing and copying over the game to other folders.

Perhaps it is an Operating System permission error at play and I would suggest the following:

- Uninstall SCG and delete all other copied folders (backup your saved games if applicable)

- Reboot

- Re-install SCG

- Copy the SCG folder and make it into the new folder you desire, i.e. v2, or v3, v4 etc.

- Make sure you are not running any versions of the SCG game or Editor, to be on the safe side, and then install the applicable patches to the applicable version folders.

It should work as expected as I have several versions on my end as well.

Hope this helps,

Hubert

I tried what you said and here's the prompt I get at the very, very, end when I hit finish:

"The program can't start because zlib1.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

I didn't do a formal uninstall of the 2nd copy as I don't have an actual copy to re-install as I just downloaded the game from the web about 2 years ago...I don't have a physical copy. Like I said in my prior post I would need to get another copy from the web with codes or something. Or, does the uninstall copy go into the trash bin? That's what I'm afraid of, that if I uninstall it disappears completely. So what I did was delete the 2nd copy and then move it back from the trash bin into the 2nd folder and downloaded the patch. But no luck.

I know I'm not the only player having this trouble so we need a protocol. Maybe next time I should order the physical disk? But that seems more expensive all around and slow. If there was a way for me to get a fresh copy to re-install that might solve the problem? This time I would save the download info. Or, like I said, if I can uninstall and it goes to trash bin and can be reinstalled that would give me confidence to unistall. Or, can I download again using my e-mail address and you know it's my IP so wouldn't be a problem?

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

You won't need a physical copy, just the installation file for the full game... do you have the digital installation file for the full game that you downloaded 2 years ago?

It's hard for me to guess what might be going on at your end without seeing it and what I've described above should resolve the issue for you... not sure why it is not finding that particular file either as it is in the installation folder on my end.

For the installation version that is working on your end, does that particular file exist in that folder?

If so can you copy it over to the installation folder where SCG is not working and see if that resolves it for you?

Hubert

Problem solved. Hubert, keep in mind as a CPA I can figure out how to do any tax form out there. As a computer novice, not so. So you gave me just enough info above to figure it out. What I had been doing was only copying the game itself over...not the entire folder. So of course it wouldn't run, the recipe was missing key ingredients in the form of other required files. Why I thought I only needed to copy the game itself I don't know. So, once I copied the entire folder, which took about 7 minutes, then downloaded and extracted the patch there it worked. I did get something quirky when I went back to my 1.02 shortcut, it said I had to run as the administrator which I did, but then the next time clicking the shortcut 1.02 worked as per normal.

Anyway, thanks for the clues that helped me figure it out.

And from what I can see I think the 1.04 changes for China especially and the Allies will help balance the game. Those fortifications in China will make it harder for Japan to steamroll and turn the flank up north.

Bob.