Infantry Not Close Assaulting/Grenading Tanks From Bldgs

CM1 had the useful "FOLLOW" command where an inf unit would target a vehicle (and follow it if it moved) trying to throw AT munitions at it. I killed many enemy armor that way esp in built-up/wooded areas. Maybe that would be worth bringing back.

IME 'dashing' at a tank even a short distance never works. Fast movement will alert the (buttoned) tank crew. Without gun depression limits the tank can usually kill the attackers before they can throw 2-3 grenades - if they throw any at all. Sometimes they are so afraid of the close by tank that nothing happens and they just get killed.

OTOH crawling at a tank works much better. They also get killed but they tend to throw more grenades. Unless of course the tank drives away and the assault team mindlessly ends up in the middle of an empty street - crawled or ran. Very embarassing if the tank spots the team...

This IMO is one area urban fighting shows problems. I am glad to hear that crawling has given you better success I will try that in the future.

The most common thing that I have seen is some variation of the infantry are spotted quickly by the tank and killed no matter how close / far they are from the tank.

I have had guys right behind the tank - which was facing the other way - get gunned down after the turret turns 180. I was surprised they were even spotted.

Having your guys sit in the middle of the road where the tank used to be proceed to get gunned down is the other variation of this. In this case it is because the order you want to give is "close assault that tank" but the only order you can give is "move to that action square".

I would like to see some way of ordering a close assault of a tank. That way if the tank moved just a short distance your men would got to the right place and if the tank moved further - way down the street your men could just forget it and get back in cover.

I have seen quite a few tanks get KO'ed this way too so it is not totally one sided.

Smoke evens things up some, IME. At least if the tank is moving: it turns into "quickest on the draw", and if the tank has orders other than targeting your CAing team, it can help, as it sometimes will haver between the clear and present danger of infantry swarming it and what its player meant it to do.

This IMO is one area urban fighting shows problems. I am glad to hear that crawling has given you better success I will try that in the future.

Ian, Slow(crawl) is the best move option to get P-truppen to throw grenades in general, too, not just at tanks. And like womble says, smoke helps ALOT.