I have played this game a few times, but only from the beginning to Feb. 42, to try some strategies. Until now, I have not found the right approach, I think. I was never able to get near Moscow or surround Leningrad. Also I never had a chance to really surround SU troops in a "Kessel" and sack them.

So I think, there is a basis thing, that I am doing wrong.

Any hints from the experts ?

Kill more of them then they do of you.

Seriously I have won this game in 42'-43' as both sides and actually find it somewhat easier than the rest of SC series vs the AI due to the amount of units involved. Nothing against what AL has done but experience with war games shows the higher the #'s, the easier to beat the computer as the odds are multiplied if played right.

I like to take out the air early rather than the tanks. Send 2-3 tanks north, 3 tanks south with one swinging down towards Sevastopol. And the rest of the tanks in the middle to destroy the soviet #'s.

Center - I assume you have an easy advance until you reach the Vitebsk thru Gomel line in the center. It is always good to leave your tanks in position for prepared attacks next to units on the river, but only if at good strength along with infantry as the soviets in the early stages can not do much damage against a full strength infantry/tank in the early stages but can destroy weak units with prepared attacks. Hit 1st with bombers, then fighters on the tanks, used prepared attack to weaken and then destroy with follow-up. You do not always need to destroy units with your prepared tanks, try to hit 2 units with your 2 strikes to weaken faster and let the follow-up do the destruction. Try to save your armor for needed attacks and let the infantry whenever possible mop up. Infantry our good against Russian armor with prepared offensive and against weakened tanks. Find a hole and blitz thru at one or 2 points where needed. No need to destroy all but move your units through where possible to allow follow-up mop up and keep your main units moving forward. Can be dicey at times but as long as you keep HQ's with your advance units you will eventually where them down and get your Kessel. You want to take and hold Rzhev, Vyzama, Orel line by winter. Do not need to take Moscow as Leningrad/South are the priorities 1st.

South - Same goes for the Kiev-Dnieper river line. I try to go thru in the middle, not at Kiev as this will cost too much. Again you can get a Kessel. I also noticed if you run fast enough due to the size of the map you can blitz into an open Dnepropretrovosk. You want Sevastopol, Stalino, Kharkov, Kursk to deny Russian money and also to give yourself the extra cash. It is also a good launch point for 42'

River at Riga thru Polotsk it is to your advantage to get thru before the Russians build a line and you will get another Kessel. Same tactic works with northern Russia Pskosk-Opochvka line and you will get another Kessel. Keep tanks at strength and approach Leningrad as early as possible with Fins working their way down. Fins should fast march at times to surround the frontier Russian armies outside of Leningrad. I focus 1st purchases on artillery for Leningrad, along with some going towards Sevastopol. With extra bombers moved in De-entrench units with artillery too and keep 2-3 armor units smashing forward with infantry for support. Leningrad and a comfortable 2 spots forward with Novgorod, Demyansk line being held before and during winter. With all fronts I stand my ground and bleed the soviets thru their winter attacks as they will be furious but low on supply if you hold and continue to hold the cities.

1st year focus on Research with artillery, infantry, tanks, fighter. Tactical is not that important in this game for destruction but do help with de-entrenchment so I do not really invest.

1st year purchases are artillery, garrison, a few divisions needed, and these moved to the front ASAP,with corp, mechanized, HQ's being heavily purchased for arrival and movement to the front in 42', along with a few more divisions for garrison purposes in 42'. You do not need these 2nd tier purchases in 41' and you do not want to move them to the front until the winter strike rules are done with for the winter to save on MPP's.

Keep HQ at full strength with 1st replacements going to these thru the winter to keep supply and ability to fully reinforce other units.

42'

North - withdrawal all air/armor/artillery to reinforce the southern offensive. Just hold your ground until the Russians are bled in the south, then center.

Center - I hold, move a few more armor and air support down south. Once the south crumbles turn your army on a hinge at Stalingrad and move up. Do not attack the center head on until you are already almost behind Moscow.

South - With a good 41' line down to in front of Tagnarog and Sevastopol in hand your main offensive with be conducted in 42'. All mechanized go down here with your reinforced units. Same tactics as before. If you find you held the 41 soviet winter offensive and reinforced your units back to full strength, the soviets will be ripe for Kessels and breakthrough as they are weakened. Its not as important to reinforce your middle and north units to full strength. I usually reinforce those to #'s to be able to hold the line only. With Kessels and breathroughs you should be able to drive to Stalingrad with taking support cities on your flanks easily along with swinging down towards Maikop and hold there. Reinforce Stalingrad front before attacking, bringing up artillery/bombers to de-entrench and plunge ahead gaining a foothold on the Stalingrad side of the river. Then go after Stalingrad.

With Stalingrad in hand I simultaneously pivot north with most of my forces, and form a Kampfgruppe for a push towards Baku thru Grozny. Again do not attack the center or north until you have worked up towards Yaroslavl behind Moscow. Plunge towards Moscow and take with Yaroslavl,Vsyhniy in hand sealing the lake you will then have your largest Kessel of the war.

Keys are to blitz fast as possible, prepared attacks, keep your armor reinforced, punch holes, race thru with HQ support and make Russians leave their entrenchments.

This is just my experience against the AI on this and am sure other tactics work.

There is a strategy to the game. And that's the point. I don't want to make it easy on you the 1st time you buy it. It needs to be challenging. Of course an A.I. can never beat a human on a game of this complexity.

Once you figure out the right strategy and beat the A.I. you can still increase your challenge by bumping up the A.I. experience (my personal favorite) or the production multiple.