Editing Question

Is there a way to edit the .DAT files created when information is exported from the editor? The reason why I ask is the game engine for AOC seems to be significantly different where the units are concerned and the editor will not import this data from previous customized scenarios. It would be great to massage the .DAT files so this data could be imported rather than having to enter it all again.:eek:

Hi Wlape3,

Unfortunately there is no easy way to edit the DAT files that I'm aware of. As you've guessed it is just a file format I use to export the in game data structures and perhaps with a hex editor but I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to get it to cooperate.

The big problem is that the data has changed quite a bit, and the internal structures for additional arrays, lists and so on have been considerably modified to hold the new unit types and their associated data, i.e. not just expanded but shifted and so on, that it is just not a straightforward import and that is why it is disabled.

What you could try is to make use of the defaults and simply change what needs to be changed if it is a simpler conversion, otherwise if it has been heavily customized then entering it all again is pretty much the only option :(.

Hubert

Hi Wlape3,

Unfortunately there is no easy way to edit the DAT files that I'm aware of. As you've guessed it is just a file format I use to export the in game data structures and perhaps with a hex editor but I can't imagine the nightmare it would be to get it to cooperate.

The big problem is that the data has changed quite a bit, and the internal structures for additional arrays, lists and so on have been considerably modified to hold the new unit types and their associated data, i.e. not just expanded but shifted and so on, that it is just not a straightforward import and that is why it is disabled.

What you could try is to make use of the defaults and simply change what needs to be changed if it is a simpler conversion, otherwise if it has been heavily customized then entering it all again is pretty much the only option :(.

Hubert

Thanks for the quick reply Hubert. What would really be great is to dump this kind of information into a spreadsheet or ASCII file that can easily be edited. It would make customizing the scenarios so much easier. Several of the industrial databases I have worked with in the past had this feature which made it very simple to clone a great deal of similar entries at the same time.

Maybe something to add to the wish list for SC3?

Will