Elite is now my first choice for skill level

BFC Nailed it!

I have posted before about my reasons for not using Elite previously but now with CMFI GL it works perfectly. Colour me happy.

As it was:

AsItWas.jpg

Note the generic infantry icon over the AT gun, even though my guys can see the gun itself the icon missleads me into thinking it is just infantry. That means I have to click to see what it really is. When you do that you get information you should not have - like this is AT gun number 1.

And Now:

AsItIsNow.jpg

Fantastic. Now my guys can see the gun I get the gun icon. If you see the amo bearers you see the generic infantry icon. If you select the gun or any of the infantry you get nothing - nadda, zip, zilch in terms of extra info.

I played a quick battle against the AI just to try this out and I really, really liked it. When infantry pop in and out of view you cannot tell who they are or if you have seen them before. You cannot tell if they are part of a special formation. If you zoom in you might be able to glean somethings but not nearly like before. And now that the icon for important pieces appears I don't even have to click on all the enemy icons any more.

Well done BFC and thanks,

Ian

PS. I had a surprise when I tried to make these screen shots. In 2.01 the AT gun icon appeared in Elite skill level. Wow I missed that - I would have been using it even before not if I had know that. Not sure if I missed something or if not one noticed. To get the screen shot I had to install 1.0. Wow have you guys ever improved keyboard handling since then :)

The skill is in the player, not the “skill” setting. That said I prefer veteran (except for the showing of enemy wounded), or warrior. It is all a matter of preference with no right or wrong. I have played all "Skill" levels winning no matter the setting. I just think some settings more convenient than others. Kind of like using the remote control to change the TV channel vs. getting up to do it. In real time play they do make more of a difference. In WEGO I do not see much difference in ”skill” levels to play the game, just more or less conveniences. I remember the first time I played “I only play iron” dude, when I mainly only played veteran. We played Iron to appease his ego, and he lost to the player who prefers playing at a lower “skill” setting with little experience playing on “iron” setting. It is in how well one plays tactically, not the setting.

I do like the new FoW changes Ian is showing here. It makes more sense now.

Yeah the word "skill" is not a great match but it is the label in the UI. I agree iron is an extra click fest that I don't care for (and I play between 10 and 20% of my games in iron because I have a PBEM partner that likes it and I am happy to oblige a partner who has taught me a lot).

I like Elite because it leaves the icons for any soldiers generic (no pioneer or amo bearer special icons) and now that AT gun icons are in and there is no identifying info in the UI it is perfect. All you see are enemy soldiers running around. If you see an enemy soldier go in and out of visibility you have no idea if it is one guy popping up again or a second team mate.

I agree iron is an extra click fest that I don't care for (and I play between 10 and 20% of my games in iron because I have a PBEM partner that likes it and I am happy to oblige a partner who has taught me a lot).

Iron is a little more realistic in that friendly units do not automatically spot each other when in LOS, although my own experience is that the difference this makes in gameplay is minor.

Iron is a little more realistic in that friendly units do not automatically spot each other when in LOS, although my own experience is that the difference this makes in gameplay is minor.

I see what you are saying - I do play Iron a fair amount. The thing is I find that I am constantly selecting and deselecting units and watching and rewinding the turn more because i keep missing stuff because of what I have selected. Hench my click fest comment. So, for me, it just slows me down and I don't enjoy the good parts.

Looking for ELITE player opinions. How much different are ELITE and WARRIOR fire mission response times? I play WARRIOR only because I've read that it most accurately reflects the wait time durations for Artillery/Mortar/Air indirect fire support missions. Is that really the case?

He already does try Iron. And he doesn't like it as much.

Yep, I like the *idea* but find too muck clicking needs to happen and extra turn views are needed. I continue to always have an iron game going. I am getting used to it. I would never reject a game based on iron (and I would reject playing a game on Veteran). But iron is not my first choice.

Looking for ELITE player opinions. How much different are ELITE and WARRIOR fire mission response times? I play WARRIOR only because I've read that it most accurately reflects the wait time durations for Artillery/Mortar/Air indirect fire support missions. Is that really the case?

Fire mission behaviour and wait times are the same for Warrior, Elite and Iron.

Elite is the same as Warrior but removes specialized unit icons from the enemy (which is good because how would your guys know that guy the can see between the trees is a AT Gun amo bearer?

Iron is the same for Elite but it adds FOW visibility to your units. If you select one of your own units you will see only friendly units visible to the selected unit and contact icons for your friendly forces that are near by. If you have none of your units selected then you can see all your units.

Try Elite it makes figuring out the enemy force composition more difficult.

Yep. Thank you. Should have checked myself; page 27 of the CM-BfN v2.0 manual,

"Elite is identical to Warrior with only one difference:

- Enemy infantry icons are always the plain “soldier” type, regardless of their armament or function"

Time for me to step up, it seems.

Just tried Elite on the Bear Claws scenario.Massive firepower but the surprise came when my Grens got to the actual crossroads.Lots of minor scuffles with units whose composition i couldn't tell.A few bloody noses on my side.On my usual Veteran mode i would have just mopped up for the endgame.I lost quite a few guys by being over confident.Cheers for the heads up.Elite mode for me from here on in :)

Are you playing Bear Claws WEGO or RT. I found it very hard in WEGO. The aircraft massacred my inf and took out a couple Brummbars. (And they seemed to be in woods, so not sure how they got spotted so easily.)

I always play in WEGO bud.Kept my armour in the woods also.Took out the Allied tanks.Ironically my AA vehicle arrived and then there was the sound of aircraft shortly afterwards.The Jabo took out my AA vehicle did a few strafing runs(i think) and buggered off.Once the allied AA was down,i took that hill for overwatch and then took down every building at the crossroads with the Brummbars.

The ruins were a bit of an issue though for the in street fighting.A village version of Stalingrad ensued :D

I found a) most of the Axis set-up positions seem vulnerable to Allied fire; B) if my Brummbars fired 1) they were inaccurate vs the Shermans (and the AA battery), 2) the aircraft spotted em and was able to strafe and bomb em.

My AA vehicle came under fire in its arrival set-up position by MG's (I think) and was KO'd a couple turns later. Have no idea what to do with it anyway so long as the Allied AA is covering the road. Does AA have any effect vs aircraft anyway?

When the German inf made it to the woods, the aircraft seemed to have no problem spotting them and strafing them at which point having lost more than half my guys I CF'd to get a Total Defeat. I don't understand scenarios where the set-up positions are unsafe and soon under fire, there is no room to maneuver, and the enemy has units placed to take advantage of game engine vagaries... like my Brummbars repeatedly fired vs the Allied AA, but repeatedly hit the ground in front cos they can't target the unit, while the Allied AA is firing away without a care in the world. Frustratingly small and unrealistically hilly map for armor etc imo.

That's what I thought. Had no idea what to do with the AA unit when it arrived and was immediately fired upon. All it did was dance to get out of the line of fire (unsuccessfully), and die.

Having played a LOT of CMBN, I thought I was using sensible tactics, but this scenario seems "tricky" in the sense that you need to know exactly what to do and when to do it (ie; no real choice but to "get it right" over multiple playthroughs). That's why I dislike RTS games (where you have to redo scenarios till you learn the trick and get to advance to the next one). I hope that scenarios are not being created that need to be replayed to win in order to make up for the paucity of user-made scenarios.

Scenarios that drop your reinforcements in places that the enemy setup can see are pretty weak. It's not so bad with infantry, as they're a bit more resilient, but providing a single vehicle as a reinforcement and then plonking it in LOF of something that can kill it is just teasing.