Moveable waypoints possible future enhancement?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something that is definitely possible. This is, I think, the first request I've seen for it since CMSF was first released. Because moveable waypoints or not, the ability to click on movement lines and switch units is still applicable. So I don't feel too bad about forgetting about this behavior since in 6 years nobody that I know of has mentioned it until now :D

There's an argument to be made for the camera moving and a counter argument for keeping it stationary. I think the better way, most of the time, is to have the camera remain stationary. Though we can see what the testers thing for sure.

No fears about accidental waypoint movement. The behavior I'm picturing would be one click on a movement line to select the unit and then click/hold to move a waypoint. This is a pretty good safety feature to avoid accidental movement and it also is kinda necessary because waypoints aren't explicitly available except to current units.

Steve

+1

I very often micro manage waypoints by selecting the movement lines in CM1. Something I'd be happy to see in CM2. FWIW I'd prefer to keep camera stationary.

-F

One thought has occurred to me with this that may be a conflict to cause people to select lines when they do not want to. How will this be avoided when player often left click hold on the map to use smooth camera control? Will there be a way to left click to select lines while also having left click for camera control, and not have this problem?

One thought has occurred to me with this that may be a conflict to cause people to select lines when they do not want to. How will this be avoided when player often left click hold on the map to use smooth camera control? Will there be a way to left click to select lines while also having left click for camera control, and not have this problem?

Select a bit of the screen that doesnt have a line ?

Select a bit of the screen that doesnt have a line ?

Sure, I think that is the answer in a perfect world, but I do see the most accidental line selections at times due to this. People will have to remain aware to not accidentally camera click on top of a line, which would be new to adapt to.

Going to level 9 is almost like having a minimap.

Any smaller scale in a large scenario and a minimap wouldn't be that useful.

I do wish that the "ctrl-click" metyhod of moving around a map worked better. In CM1 is was very reliable and would takeone to exactly where one wanted. In CM2, "ctrl-click" on an area of the map seems to send one off somewhere totally confusing most of the time.

There's an argument to be made for the camera moving and a counter argument for keeping it stationary. I think the better way, most of the time, is to have the camera remain stationary. Though we can see what the testers thing for sure.

Yeah, (one of) the point(s) of using the lines to select is to retain the context of what you're messing with, and automatically wooshing half way across the map back to the unit would be irritating in the extreme (especially if you happened to click the wrong line in a crowded situation).

It would be nice to be able to use waypoints as fixed viewpoints in the same way as you can units. Ctrl-Tab with a waypoint selected, maybe, and if you were in "waypoint of view" mode, clicking on another line might take you to the waypoint itself rather than just selecting it, though that might be just as annoying as being moved to the unit...

I can´t stand playing large scenarios :mad:, why? Because there is no minimap, a simple and "stupid" thing that avoids a lot of micromanagement. Did somebody think about it?

I agree with Erwin. There is no need for minimap in CM's camera has much more range than most RT games. Zooming way out to 8-9 preset camera will produce a mini map effect. Give it a try. It is much more versatile than a fixed minimap like most other games have.

"Yeah, (one of) the point(s) of using the lines to select is to retain the context of what you're messing with, and automatically wooshing half way across the map back to the unit would be irritating in the extreme (especially if you happened to click the wrong line in a crowded situation)."

Clearly, we use different techniques to play the game. I find the above issue happened rarely to me in CM1. The frustration of constantly having to go back and locate a unit in order to then go someplace else in the map to adjust its waypoint happens much more frequently in my CM2 games and is far more time-wasting and irritating.

"Yeah, (one of) the point(s) of using the lines to select is to retain the context of what you're messing with, and automatically wooshing half way across the map back to the unit would be irritating in the extreme (especially if you happened to click the wrong line in a crowded situation)."

Clearly, we use different techniques to play the game. I find the above issue happened rarely to me in CM1. The frustration of constantly having to go back and locate a unit in order to then go someplace else in the map to adjust its waypoint happens much more frequently in my CM2 games and is far more time-wasting and irritating.

I think you're misreading my last post.

If and when you guys do implement this Steve I hope you can also make it so the lines are always visible, even when no unit is selected (currently they disappear if no unit is selected).

Or at least maybe add the option to the hotkey function to have them always be on, so cycling alt+p would give you:

Show All Move Paths OFF

Show All Move Paths ON

Always Show All Move Paths ON

It doesn't matter much right now since we can't select the lines anyways, but once we can, it will be very helpful to always be able to see them.

make it so the lines are always visible, even when no unit is selected

*bletch*

Or at least maybe add the option to the hotkey function ...

No, not "maybe". UNLESS it is a cyclable option, do not do this.

*bletch*

No, not "maybe". UNLESS it is a cyclable option, do not do this.

I don't understand the problem, you can just press alt+p to turn them off. Like the trees.

Did it bother you in CMx1? That's all I'm asking for. The exact same thing.

Might want to try ALT + P

It still only shows up if you have a unit selected though. In CMBB if you u had them turned on they were visible at all times. (unit selected or no... IIRC it was shift+p in CMx1)