Vehicle Pack Suggestions.

Though I found no absolute conformation, sdkfz 138/1 Grilles were being manufactured as late as September '44. They were assigned to Armored infantry regiments. At this point I would have to conclude they were in the theatre the summer of '44.

According to Zetterling;

9th Pz Div had 6 (and a shortfall of a further 6) on 15 June

9th SS Pz Div had 6 in each of its two PzGren Regts on 1 June, and still had 12 on 23 July

12th SS Pz Div had 6 in each of its two PzGren Regts on 1 June

17th SS PzGren Div had 12 on 1 June

21st Pz Div had ... all sorts of weird ****

The other Pz Divs may have had some, but Zetterling's presentation of data is ... erratic.

For the Nashorn, however, I found a site listing the deployment of heavy Panzerjaeger abteilungs and according to it none made it to France

Correct.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

According to Zetterling;

9th Pz Div had 6 (and a shortfall of a further 6) on 15 June

9th SS Pz Div had 6 in each of its two PzGren Regts on 1 June, and still had 12 on 23 July

12th SS Pz Div had 6 in each of its two PzGren Regts on 1 June

17th SS PzGren Div had 12 on 1 June

21st Pz Div had ... all sorts of weird ****

The other Pz Divs may have had some, but Zetterling's presentation of data is ... erratic.

Pz Lehr had 12 as well, I believe.

For the Nashorn, however, I found a site listing the deployment of heavy Panzerjaeger abteilungs and according to it none made it to France though it did confirm their Italian deployment.

I could almost swear that not too long ago I saw one or more pics of a wrecked Nashorn in Normandy, photographed at about the time of the Cobra breakout.

Michael

LukeFF,

Outstanding weird pic! Perhaps the inspiration for the special recon motorcycle Suvorov reports in The Liberators? I guess the plan in your pic is for the donkey to first DF the transmitting Allied tank, whereupon the donkey ambles into range and lets fly the Panzerfaust. Speer's boys deem the shield extraneous, so it won't appear on the production version.

Arpella72,

Regret to inform you that's a transport configuration. If fired that way, Ichabod Crane would have a matching headless horse! This, though, may've seen battle.

http://trooperworld.wdfiles.com/local--files/camel-guns/camel.JPG.jpeg

Michael Emrys,

When looking at Armored Assault44 yesterday, I noticed something truly remarkable--~500 LVTP 1 and 2 which could've been used at Normandy but weren't. How's that for a new take on D-Day? Mind, they would've been a lot slower than LCVPs (more exposure to fire via increased duration), but we wouldn't have had so many troops drowning or lost to antipersonnel mines. Also, not as tall a target, while waterborne, thus harder to hit. In the same book, there's a shot of one of the earliest Hellcats in theater. SGT Turcan ran into a dug-in antitank gun (I estimate Pak 38). Took five hits through the hull, had a man wounded, crew bailed, but he continued to fight his TD. Silver Star. I suspect the shots all went clear through, with none detonating.

Regards,

John Kettler

Perhaps those were Hummels?

Saw some of those too. But I can't so far shake the impression that there was a Hornisse or two in the mix. If I get some extra time with nothing better to do (not very likely), I may go back and try to sift through the books I might have seen them in.

Michael

How necessary or desirable do any of you feel about including command vehicles? IIRC the Germans at least had one or two per battallion sometimes with dummy guns. With the new increased fog of war on enemy units they might be more practicle to use in CM games.

Alright here's one...I DO NOT expect it to function in it's intended role in a CM scope battle, more so just to have it in their for nostalgia/eye candy. Plus it has armor & a .50cal MG, so that's more than the Deuce and a Half or plain Jane jeeps have currently going for them in game.

M26 Dragon Wagon:D

Perhaps your joking but personally there's tons of other things I'd rather see them spend their time on.

I just remembered there's no Marder II in CMBN. Perhaps Market-Garden will remedy that but I'll have to look into its use in NW Europe.

Michael Emrys,

No Nashorn/Hornisse in Normandy (see David Lehmann post at link), but would you believe 19 Brummbar? Post does detail other rare German heavily armed AFVs.

http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=70&t=19428

As for the Hummel, the now restored (seen here prior) APG one was recovered in Normandy.

http://ww2images.blogspot.com/2012/11/hummel-self-propelled-howitzer-at.html

What I believe to be the definitive (and photo rich) discussion on the Hummel in Normandy, who had them, how many and where. May've found the pics you think was a clobbered Hornisse.

http://www.network54.com/Forum/571595/thread/1200556632/last-1200641734/Hummel+316+in+Rouen+Revisited-++A+Review+of+Hummel+Organization+and+Markings+in+Normandy

Regards,

John Kettler

Quintus Sertorius,

The Chaffee came into the war late in the game, so it'll be quite rare even in the much anticipated Bulge game. The sPzb41, is a natural for inclusion going all the way back to CMFI, since it debuted in the Western Desert. Many pics of this fascinating squeeze bore.

http://www.sixtharmygroup.com/forums/tech-manuals/3366-everything-you-wanted-know-about-german-spzb-41-a.html

The Char B is most unlikely to appear until we have an Invasion of France game.

Regards,

John Kettler

What about a scenario pack. Let some of the better scenario designers submit 1-2 scenarios or 1 campaign (subject to the quality control of BF) and package them into a bundle of 12-15 scenarios with 1-2 campaigns.

I know the scenario trickle is a little less due to the increased difficulty of building them but I would pay a little for a scenario pack with good scenarios. The ones picked could get a free copy of the pack and get their name in lights.

I have played all CMFI scenarios and will probably finish all GL scenarios in about 2-3 months. It would tied me over until the next module comes out.

Maybe even allow Aris and the other great modders to include some Hi-Res vehicle skins and terrain mods and you have the making of a great product. Not to say that the Repository is not great but it is hit and miss at times and bundling after some QA would give us something. We always seem to want the latest and greatest.

I wonder if the elephant freaks when the gun is fired. Doesn't strike me as a really stable platform.

Michael

Hehe, yeah, I thought the same thing about JK's camel pic. Could end up spraying bullets everywhere including your own army if the thing stampedes.

Sequoia,

Was aware of the flamethrower Char Bs, but with no flame in the game or expected for Market Garden, I doubt BFC would find the idea either urgent or compelling. Groggy? Sure.

Canada Guy,

Have you considered going H2H in an existing or new scenario, as opposed to waging war vs the AI? Mind, this presumes you haven't been fighting someone else, which may or may not be right. You would appear to have considerable-enormous experience with both games.

Regards,

John Kettler

Baneman,

The core issue has been with us since at least when firearms arrived on the battlefield. Cavalry horses, and presumably elephants and camels, were trained to handle firearms going off. Were this not the case, imagine what would've happened on any number of battlefields starting around 1500 or so. And how about the cavalry's use of the lying down horse as carbine rampart? Not exactly normal horse behavior! But just as you train men for war, so to do you train men's mounts for war. Could a camel or elephant go berserk? Yes. Does the gunner have enough brains to stop cranking should this occur? One would hope.

Regards,

John Kettler

John,

I have but have realized my limitations. I am actually fairly bad at this game even though I really enjoy it. I have tried H2H and had a decent game score against some equal opponents but tried against a few on the forum and got creamed.

https://sites.google.com/site/cmbbcmak/

Here is our tales of combat with CMBB and CMAK. Some of my favourite games are listed and I can only wish someone would remake some of these. Too bad I cannot find another opponent at about the same skill level.

Perhaps one day.

The Chaffee came into the war late in the game, so it'll be quite rare even in the much anticipated Bulge game...

Yeah, I know, but that's the same reason why it never shows up in any WW2 sim. It would be nice to have in a vehicle pack. For once.

The sPzb41, is a natural for inclusion going all the way back to CMFI, since it debuted in the Western Desert. Many pics of this fascinating squeeze bore.

I think this weapon could be really fun to have in CM.