Vehicle Pack Suggestions.

I'll admit a little bit confused with battle packs and we'll have to wait and see what kind of things are really included - but could they ever include more than just new toys? What about the sand pit itself?

Personally I'd love to see some themed terrain like... a selection of industrial buildings or airfield / sea port related structures rather than a vehicle that engaged in only a few engagements. Or even a train carriage actually sitting on those tracks one day. :)

Just discovering now how hard it is to make something that half looks like an aircraft hanger with the current tools in the editor...

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh? I did and found no reference to them on second reading either.

"I have a list of CW vehicles that would be nice to have in an add-on pack, all of which were actually present in the Normandy timeframe, and the de-frocked Priest would be among them, along with DD Shermans, AEC III, Centaur IV, Churchill III, Churchill AVRE, Daimler Dingo, Humber SC, M3 75mm GMC, Sherman Crab, Tetrach and Grant CDL...no need to mention the fire-breathing vehicles...yet"

I can't fault you for missing it because it's hidden and veiled in Response #36.

Basically, I alluded to the fact that I'd love to see Crocs, Wasps and Badgers but I know we won't see them in a pack because the implementation of fire behaviour in-game is a feature to-be-added, which goes way beyond the definition of an add-on pack.

Basically, I alluded to the fact that I'd love to see Crocs, Wasps and Badgers but I know we won't see them in a pack because the implementation of fire behaviour in-game is a feature to-be-added, which goes way beyond the definition of an add-on pack.

It would all be in the timing. Consider this totally hypothetical time line:

1. Market Garden is released - CMBN 2.2
  2. New Eastern Front game is released - CMEF 1.0 with the v3 engine (including flames)
  3. Upgrade for CMBN to 3.0 (yep with flames)
  4. Upgrade for CMFI to 2.0 (yep with flames too)
  5. Release first pack for CMBN with Crocs etc.

Totally hypothetical! But I am going to go out on a limb here and predict that this is exactly what will happen (minus the timing of the next CMSF game and various patches - which were omitted for clarity)

Personally I'd love to see some themed terrain like... a selection of industrial buildings or airfield / sea port related structures rather than a vehicle that engaged in only a few engagements. Or even a train carriage actually sitting on those tracks one day. :)

This is certainly a possibility. Currently we have to hold back on doing things with custom buildings because we have so many other things to do and there's no direct financial incentive to do even more. A Pack, with a pretty healthy chunk of custom buildings, thematic variations of things like walls/fences, etc. is a different story. If we do one and nobody buys it, then we know not to make another. If we do one and it sells like hotcakes, then we have every incentive to do more.

My feeling is that terrain Packs will become more desirable as people have more time into the game.

Steve

Psst. Steve. I have it on reliable sources that a Field Brothel Pack, including Parisian bordellos, French female partisan snipers in worn out dresses and ah yes Normandy dairy maids with big milk jugs, would not only sell like cakes of lava, they would also attract a lot of [unspecified] media attention (and possibly lead to a multi-million sequel, Combat Mission: Divorce Settlement)!

Psst. Steve. I have it on reliable sources that a Field Brothel Pack, including Parisian bordellos, French female partisan snipers in worn out dresses and ah yes Normandy dairy maids with big milk jugs, would not only sell like cakes of lava, they would also attract a lot of [unspecified] media attention (and possibly lead to a multi-million sequel, Combat Mission: Divorce Settlement)!

I just learned, today in fact, that James Lipton was in charge of one of those brothels in the 1950s. Now that was an unexpected item in the "things I learned today" category :D

Hasn't practically everything CMX 2 sold better than expected?

Yes, but at some point we should expect an exception to the rule :D

Steve

Michael Emrys,

I've seen footage of M3s in Normandy (dusty, practically nose to tail convoy), which stopped me dead at the time. Later, I got to see the footage forewarned. The M3s were tank repair vehicles with big A-frame cranes on them, like the later M32, but these were formally designated M31s. Page 30 at the link.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/13810463/Standard-Ordnance-Items-Catalog-1944-Vol-1

Ithikial_AU,

Love your idea. If you pull this off, the modders will make sure you never lack for beer!

Darknight_Canuck,

Crocs and Wasps. Mm. Never seen a Badger, but what I'd dearly love to see is a properly functioning AVRE (Flying Dustbin as HESH, not HEAT), complete with an engineer team which can dismount to deal with certain obstacles.

Sequoia,

Suggest you check out S.L.A. Marshal's Night Drop. There's an account of an Airborne roadblock with a big Swede on the bazooka. I don't recall the tank model, but for sure it wasn't German. Speaking of German, they sure had some old gear there. Panzer IV/D, Stubby StuG III are two that come to mind. Sucks to be in a reserve unit against a first class opponent!

But what you really want to see is this 14 page analysis of captured French armor and softskins in German service. The last page is what was in service at Normandy, by unit. Note: Am NOT responsible for SAN loss, slavering or gibbering!

http://conflictuel.pagesperso-orange.fr/LGGtemp/Captured%20and%20converted%20French%20vehicles%20in%20German%20service.pdf

21 PD strength return, June 1st 1944. If Kingfish could be found, he might need the rubber room after this one.

http://historum.com/war-military-history/37245-normandy-first-us-encounter-ss-troops-pzvi-tiger-tanks-4.html

Regards,

John Kettler

The M3s were tank repair vehicles with big A-frame cranes on them, like the later M32, but these were formally designated M31s.

You have just provoked me to remember that I saw at least one pic in one of Zaloga's recent books. I don't think it was in Normandy at the time though.

Michael

Darknight_Canuck,

Crocs and Wasps. Mm. Never seen a Badger, but what I'd dearly love to see is a properly functioning AVRE (Flying Dustbin as HESH, not HEAT), complete with an engineer team which can dismount to deal with certain obstacles.

I guess the world is going topsy-turvy, John, when I get to link you to something new....

http://steel-chariots.22web.org/badger.htm

I recall seeing a pict of a British M3 Grant in Normandy being used as a command post vehicle. God knows if it had any functioning weaponry installed. One oddity I recall was the running gear included a Sherman VVSS suspension unit bolted on wrong way around facing backwards! If BFC even considers including that in a pack they'll include anything. :)

Darknight_Canuck,

And ethnicity specific, too. I knew a Kangaroo was based on a Ram (once I belatedly realized some years ago I wasn't looking at some strange Sherman), but had never heard of a Badger. I figured if I indicated I knew nothing of the beast (to me, a scary critter in a woodpile), you or someone else would be happy to enlighten me. Very informative link! Thanks!

Regards,

John Kettler

This is certainly a possibility. Currently we have to hold back on doing things with custom buildings because we have so many other things to do and there's no direct financial incentive to do even more. A Pack, with a pretty healthy chunk of custom buildings, thematic variations of things like walls/fences, etc. is a different story. If we do one and nobody buys it, then we know not to make another. If we do one and it sells like hotcakes, then we have every incentive to do more.

My feeling is that terrain Packs will become more desirable as people have more time into the game.

Steve

Cheers for the response Steve. You'll have at least one happy customer for a terrain pack. :D

Some other possible German vehicles we have in CMFI that we might see in Market-Garden or a Battlepack ( though I don't know the time frames as to if and when they were in Northwest Europe) are the Nashorn, the Grille and the Brumbar. Some one once mentioned Pz IIIs fought at Market-Garden and we've already been told Market-Garden will include the Wirbelwind.

Trying to answer my own question I've been poking around the net. Here's what I found:

Brummbar were present in France starting in July '44.

Though I found no absolute conformation, sdkfz 138/1 Grilles were being manufactured as late as September '44. They were assigned to Armored infantry regiments. At this point I would have to conclude they were in the theather the summer of '44.

For the Nashorn, however, I found a site listing the deployment of heavy Panzerjaeger abteilungs and according to it none made it to France though it did confirm their Italian deployment.