Vehicle Pack Suggestions.

To clarify some things...

Additions to CMBN are limited to September within the NW European context and that have tactical relevance to the game. Stuff that doesn't fit this definition are for other games or no games, depending.

Only September? Or do you mean up until September? I sure hope the latter because my favourite the kangaroos saw action in August, to quote the Wikipedia entry (it has a citation):

They were first used on 8 August 1944 during Operation Totalize south of Caen to supplement the half-tracks available.

I believe that is part of the area and time frame covered by CMBN.

Please,

Pretty Please,

Ian

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only September? Or do you mean up until September? I sure hope the latter because my favourite the kangaroos saw action in August, to quote the Wikipedia entry (it has a citation):

I believe that is part of the area and time frame covered by CMBN.

The de-frocked Priest version of the Kangaroo certainly fits the timeframe for the Normandy family-of-games....the Ram Kangaroo would be later, after Sept '44....so I guess we can keep our fingers crossed on the former for a future pack (I would be pleasantly surprised to see them in MG but the focus for the module seems like it will be Sep '44).

Some other possible German vehicles we have in CMFI that we might see in Market-Garden or a Battlepack ( though I don't know the time frames as to if and when they were in Northwest Europe) are the Nashorn, the Grille and the Brumbar. Some one once mentioned Pz IIIs fought at Market-Garden and we've already been told Market-Garden will include the Wirbelwind.

Steve since the R35 is already in FI are you gonna throw it inta MG so we can do some para actions in Normandy? Werent there Char1's they fought too? I know this is getting down to single engagement use only though and therefore may not be worth the time. R35s would be cool to throw in though?

MG did have some French tanks involved, but they weren't the R35. And yeah, it was just a single engagement from what I remember so not high up on our list to do, especially since we don't have Char B models yet.

The R35 is not currently slated to go into Market Garden. Throwing stuff in willy nilly is not really a good idea since it makes it harder to focus on a particular battle without having to purchase a bunch of stuff. The plan is to make a D-Day Pack with all kinds of crazy stuff that was used on both sides.

Note that this philosophy is not something to push things off to another purchase. That's what a glass half empty personality type would conclude. But the facts say otherwise. There's a large number of AAA stuff going into Market Garden and much of it is completely unnecessary for it. So why so much? Because of what I just said... we want them to be pretty much all kept together. Which makes it easier for you guys to answer the question "what do I need to purchase in order to get standard AAA stuff?"

You guys have no idea how much thought goes into seemingly simple decisions :D

Steve

You guys have no idea how much thought goes into seemingly simple decisions :D

Steve

I know I, and many others, appreciate the efforts to bring more to the table, even if there are limitations on what will be possible. Please don't take my wishlists as demanding, I'm just excited at the prospect that some of these items are being considered.

It's like we're dogs waiting for a treat....I might prefer bacon snacks over a milk bone but I will still be happy with the milk bone....though that won't stop me from wanting more treats right away. :P

If posting wish lists were offensive to me... I'd have to shut down the Forum :D

Motorcycles present a unique challenge because they have unique physics characteristics that the game doesn't currently have. Fortunately for the timeframes we've simulated so far, motorcycles were pretty much relegated to messengers and other HQ duties. That's not true for 1939-1942 timeframe where they were standard recon element for German units before Volkswagens took over. When we get to that timeframe we're probably going to have to bite the bullet and support them.

Steve

I think a few Ram II became Artillery OP in Normandy, but don't quote me on that one. ;)

Oops - just quoted you :D

I believe you are correct, and I'd like to see various OP tanks, although that'd require some jiggery-pokery with the ability to carry passsengers. Did the RAM OPs have its main armament removed?

What about this?.It has always fascinated me.It played the same role than the MG jeeps and Bren Carriers.You could find it in Theatre of War but not in CMx2(I dunno in CMx1)

The SdKfz 223 is already in CM, isn't it?

What about this?.It has always fascinated me.It played the same role than the MG jeeps and Bren Carriers.You could find it in Theatre of War but not in CMx2(I dunno in CMx1)

There are a number of running jokes in the Battlefront forums. They include asking for motorcycles and horses, Bren tripods, what grass mod you are using, cows with and without bells, Alize, and Finns with pinecones so don't be surprised if people start joking about your post. But for a serious answer the reason is, even more than a jeep rush, motorcycles would be too often used ahistorically to recon by suicide.

PS opps Steve beat me to posting an even better answer.

FWIW I found this piece of information :

"However, there were sizable battalions of French tanks in Le Havre, Brest and Cherbourg – all three of which saw heavy action with a mixture of S35s, H35/38/39s, R35s, B1bs and other bits and pieces, including B1b Flammpanzers and H35s and UEs with 28/32cm rockets strapped to them. Some or all of these units may have received redundant S35s from 21. Panzer-Division. There was also a small panzer training battalion in the Cotentin, which saw action against US Airborne forces."

Source : theminiaturespage.com/boards/msg.mv?id=250356

(by R Mark Davies, 03 Dec 2011)

Maybe Normandy 1944 grogs will be able to confirm this ?

I would really be glad if some captured french tanks could make it into the CMBN vehicle pack...

There are a number of running jokes in the Battlefront forums. They include asking for motorcycles and horses, Bren tripods, what grass mod you are using, cows with and without bells, Alize, and Finns with pinecones so don't be surprised if people start joking about your post. But for a serious answer the reason is, even more than a jeep rush, motorcycles would be too often used ahistorically to recon by suicide.

PS opps Steve beat me to posting an even better answer.

Take a look on this video...

If posting wish lists were offensive to me... I'd have to shut down the Forum :D

Motorcycles present a unique challenge because they have unique physics characteristics that the game doesn't currently have. Fortunately for the timeframes we've simulated so far, motorcycles were pretty much relegated to messengers and other HQ duties. That's not true for 1939-1942 timeframe where they were standard recon element for German units before Volkswagens took over. When we get to that timeframe we're probably going to have to bite the bullet and support them.

Steve

Thanks for the explanation.Didn't know that.

I find that an absolutely fascinating collection of words, since I am a long-time advocate of the early war era.

:) :) :)

Michael

I would presume he means Ostfront, and Steve's already mentioned the desire to do that. I would bet they have no plans for France 1940 etc as of yet but only the staff or beta testers could answer that and they won't. :)