The start of actual news

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't know sburke was Muslim.

me either. Damn now I have to go buy a prayer rug.

kohlenkau, you are certainly entitled to your opinion as am I. Sorry if it bothers you but I get tired of hearing people second guess BF's business decisions all the time and I am entitled to voice that opinion. If it bothers you put me on your ignore list if you desire, that is your choice.

I think I have fixed Redwolf's angle here. For years he had been secretly pining to join the BFC team as the second programmer. He figured he would be the ideal candidate. Afterall, he had extensive experience programming and playing CMx1 and had clearly laid out where CMx2 had gone wrong*, and while riding Charles coattails to success wouldn't be the same as actually making his own game, he also secretly knew he did not have the wherewithal to do what a select few could.

When news broke of Phil's hiring as the second programmer, Redwolf's hopes and dreams suddenly came face to face with reality, ie not pretty. Silence ensued until a new hope arose and with it a forthcoming opportunity - Martin's position! Redwolf just needed to establish how he would have marketed the various CMs better than Moon, er no just that he would, and that he had his finger on the pulse of the CM market and would take the company to new heights of greatness. What better place to start than the CMBB demo?!

Anyways, come on guys with a background like that you can cut Redwolf some slack - a guy can dream can't he??

* see posting history on the GS forums

Apparently if you zoom in enough everything that we see is also made of pixels. First thing that came on to my mind were all the pixeltruppen I have watched die! :( What if their world is for "real" just like "ours"??

Error... error, please move to the warehouse for disciplinary action followed by deletion.

You didn't know our whole existence is a simulation? Didn't you know about the Little White Mice and the search for the meaning of life the universe and everything? :P

I think I have fixed Redwolf's angle here. For years he had been secretly pining to join the BFC team as the second programmer. He figured he would be the ideal candidate. Afterall, he had extensive experience programming and playing CMx1 and had clearly laid out where CMx2 had gone wrong*, and while riding Charles coattails to success wouldn't be the same as actually making his own game, he also secretly knew he did not have the wherewithal to do what a select few could.

When news broke of Phil's hiring as the second programmer, Redwolf's hopes and dreams suddenly came face to face with reality, ie not pretty. Silence ensued until a new hope arose and with it a forthcoming opportunity - Martin's position! Redwolf just needed to establish how he would have marketed the various CMs better than Moon, er no just that he would, and that he had his finger on the pulse of the CM market and would take the company to new heights of greatness. What better place to start than the CMBB demo?!

Anyways, come on guys with a background like that you can cut Redwolf some slack - a guy can dream can't he??

* see posting history on the GS forums

This is so wrong. I wanted to take over public relations for BFC, that's what I am ideally suited for.

SBurke kindly got us back on track many pages back in this thread, he posted a recap and edited in some comments. Then the marketing flap occurred and since then not much has been vectored in the proper direction.

Let us all get this thread back on track and hopefully the little bunny will come out of his burrow and bring us a carrot. If you want to argue marketing, please exercise your right to open a new thread and have at it with jihaddy gusto.

So here's an overview of what's being included:

1. Basic Waffen SS and British units which represent those units that fought directly in the Market Garden battles. Which means the majority of units found in Commonwealth are not present in CM:MG.

2. New German Heer, Waffen SS, and Luftwaffe units have been added which aren't present in Commonwealth. These better portray the scratch formations which made up the bulk of the early German resistance to the landings. Training, security, school, admin personnel, etc. are available.

3. We've added German Navy units. These poor saps were base and ex-ship personnel thrown into battle without much consideration about their fighting capabilities (which were next to none). In fact, this is the first time we've ever had Navy ground units in a CM game. Though to be honest, it's mostly for flavor as organizationally they weren't that much different from horribly stripped down and under equipped Heer units. Still, it's better to give you explicitly tweaked units than to say "imagine those Heer guys are Navy".

4. AAA units are present for the first time on the Western Front. Not only the sorts of AAA stuff found in Gustav Line, but some new fun things like Wirbelwind and Crusader AA.

5. The Germans also now have access to Panzer Brigades. These armor heavy units are uniquely organized and contain the ever fun SPW 251/21 in large numbers.

6. Fallschirmjäger are now present, all the way from June through September.

7. Some new vehicle variants for all forces just to keep things interesting.

8. New terrain features to create the feeling you're battling in The Netherlands and not France. Yes, we have even included a windmill

9. Bridges. Lots of 'em We are including 5 custom made historically accurate bridges, a canal bridge, and 3 new generic long bridges. Some, like the Arnhem road bridge, are massive. For the larger ones we include "stubs" which map makers can use to simulate fights around the entrance to a bridge without having the other 500+ meters stuck in there.

My edits here after slowly going through the thread..did I miss any?

*10. No Hetzer

*11. Tiger II with Henschel turret? Yes

*12. OMG: No snow, ends on last day of September. Bulge family: Snow, 01Oct-VE

*13. Ditch-lock map editor feature, see the Sheriif thread for details

*14. A new region drop down on one of the main screens will say France or Holland, then this changes what flavor objects and other stuff that you can select when making a map. For example, select France and you have French roadsingage, Holland gets you Hollandy roadsigns.

Everyone talk softly and maybe the lil' bunny will come back out...

SBurke kindly got us back on track many pages back in this thread, he posted a recap and edited in some comments. Then the marketing flap occurred and since then not much has been vectored in the proper direction.

Let us all get this thread back on track and hopefully the little bunny will come out of his burrow and bring us a carrot. If you want to argue marketing, please exercise your right to open a new thread and have at it with jihaddy gusto.

So here's an overview of what's being included:

1. Basic Waffen SS and British units which represent those units that fought directly in the Market Garden battles. Which means the majority of units found in Commonwealth are not present in CM:MG.

2. New German Heer, Waffen SS, and Luftwaffe units have been added which aren't present in Commonwealth. These better portray the scratch formations which made up the bulk of the early German resistance to the landings. Training, security, school, admin personnel, etc. are available.

3. We've added German Navy units. These poor saps were base and ex-ship personnel thrown into battle without much consideration about their fighting capabilities (which were next to none). In fact, this is the first time we've ever had Navy ground units in a CM game. Though to be honest, it's mostly for flavor as organizationally they weren't that much different from horribly stripped down and under equipped Heer units. Still, it's better to give you explicitly tweaked units than to say "imagine those Heer guys are Navy".

4. AAA units are present for the first time on the Western Front. Not only the sorts of AAA stuff found in Gustav Line, but some new fun things like Wirbelwind and Crusader AA.

5. The Germans also now have access to Panzer Brigades. These armor heavy units are uniquely organized and contain the ever fun SPW 251/21 in large numbers.

6. Fallschirmjäger are now present, all the way from June through September.

7. Some new vehicle variants for all forces just to keep things interesting.

8. New terrain features to create the feeling you're battling in The Netherlands and not France. Yes, we have even included a windmill

9. Bridges. Lots of 'em We are including 5 custom made historically accurate bridges, a canal bridge, and 3 new generic long bridges. Some, like the Arnhem road bridge, are massive. For the larger ones we include "stubs" which map makers can use to simulate fights around the entrance to a bridge without having the other 500+ meters stuck in there.

My edits here after slowly going through the thread..did I miss any?

*10. No Hetzer

*11. Tiger II with Henschel turret? Yes

*12. OMG: No snow, ends on last day of September. Bulge family: Snow, 01Oct-VE

*13. Ditch-lock map editor feature, see the Sheriif thread for details

*14. A new region drop down on one of the main screens will say France or Holland, then this changes what flavor objects and other stuff that you can select when making a map. For example, select France and you have French roadsingage, Holland gets you Hollandy roadsigns.

Everyone talk softly and maybe the lil' bunny will come back out...

Honestly? None of that is a game selling change. More like commercial suicide. You think that's gonna sell to a single person not already in virtual subscription mode?

And thus, Kohlenklau's excellent attempt to get the thread back on track gets derailed, yet again, by a posting by Redwolf showcasing his level of computer software marketing knowledge.

Redwolf: Seriously - if you want to debate BFC's marketing strategy, why don't you open a new thread?

Ken

@Kohlenklau, that is so underhandedly sneaky appealing to my better half. Well played...grrrr

The most important thing Steve said however was left off

There's no doubt more stuff than that, but I think that's enough for now to get things started.

Steve

I have never been disappointed by a BF release. Does that mean I don't always want more, whether in features or content, absolutely not. I'm getting old man. I want them to release everything now before I am consigned to drooling on my keyboard and asking "where's my mush?" Still I can't keep up with the content at the rate they are releasing now.

It's worth remembering that a module is not a new game but an enhancement to the one we're playing. I'm looking forward to all of these changes, and also to the user-side content they will enable.

I get more gameplay out of the CM series than from anything else I've bought in three decades of gaming. I don't really know how Battlefront is doing commercially with CM, but *I'm* making out like a bandit.

I have to agree with SBurke. Ive never been disappointed with a CM release. Even FI which was my least favorite next to SF was a completely different game with GL. Its now my favorite. The new TO&Es equipment, etc will make it well worth it. Its not like BFC is doing anything they havent stated they were going to do for years now.

Maybe make some unique second line weapons for them, like the MG26(t) or MP28 derivative smgs.

Honestly? None of that is a game selling change. More like commercial suicide. You think that's gonna sell to a single person not already in virtual subscription mode?

I'm still waiting to hear about Redwolf Software's big strategy to increase sales and turn BFC into the next Total War franchise. All I've heard from you is what's not working for BFC and predictions of it's imminent demise. You can't run a business by just nitpicking and saying what's wrong. In order to succeed in business you have to identify what's wrong and have a positive plan for turning things around. So if you think BFC is on the verge of collapse why don't you enlighten all of us as to what the proper way to run a software company is? First, why don't you start by specifying precisely what's wrong with BFC. Second, why don't you tell us what your plan to correct those deficiencies are.

And thus, Kohlenklau's excellent attempt to get the thread back on track gets derailed, yet again, by a posting by Redwolf showcasing his level of computer software marketing knowledge.

Redwolf: Seriously - if you want to debate BFC's marketing strategy, why don't you open a new thread?

Ken

I would love it if he would just come out and say exactly what his issue is so we can all be done with it. He won't say it though because .... well I'll just leave it at that. I think his issue is personal and has nothing to do with business principles or practice.

You do know that Market Garden is an expansion for CMBN rather than a new game, right? Many of your comments suggest you do not appreciate the difference.

You do know that Market Garden is an expansion for CMBN rather than a new game, right? Many of your comments suggest you do not appreciate the difference.

What I'm saying is that the effort put into this, indicated by the time it takes for what Steves says is 50% of BFC's ongoing resource consumption, is no where equal to what is then sold to the players.

Everybody here in this thread (including me) buys it anyway, but who else?

I'm still waiting to hear about Redwolf Software's big strategy to increase sales and turn BFC into the next Total War franchise. All I've heard from you is what's not working for BFC and predictions of it's imminent demise. You can't run a business by just nitpicking and saying what's wrong. In order to succeed in business you have to identify what's wrong and have a positive plan for turning things around. So if you think BFC is on the verge of collapse why don't you enlighten all of us as to what the proper way to run a software company is? First, why don't you start by specifying precisely what's wrong with BFC. Second, why don't you tell us what your plan to correct those deficiencies are.

I never said that BFC would die. As you can see the competitors are even worse and people like us need something to buy, so BFC gets some income.

I don't really care that much about a particular company, what grinds my gears is that compared to -say- the year 2002, tactical computer wargaming has essentially made no progress, and the hobby has shrunk.

What I'm saying is that the effort put into this, indicated by the time it takes for what Steves says is 50% of BFC's ongoing resource consumption, is no where equal to what is then sold to the players.

Everybody here in this thread (including me) buys it anyway, but who else?

It sounds to me that what you are saying boils down to that BFC should stop making modules.