Running both a CMFI and a CMFI with GL

There is a thread on the CMFI forum that touches on this but I think this might be a better place for this discussion.

I need to have plain vanila CMFI and GL running on my machine since I have PBEM games to finish. The game files and mods also need to be separate since they are not compatible. With the CMBN family this is not an issue since the game and user files are under the game's install dir. What do we do with CMFI?

I just tired to run two independant CMFI installs hoping that I could get them to use two separate directories in my documents. The original install uses directories under ..\Documents\Battlefront\Combat Mission\Fortress Italy for my games and mods. I can see no way to do this with two versions of CMFI. I cannot install GL until I know I can handle this because I have multiple PBEM games going that I would prefer not to upgrade but even if I have to upgrade it will require coordination.

Will the GL install automatically create a new directory? What is the supported way to handle this? I see no mention of it in the manual and I cannot find a setting in the game that lets me control this.

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there is no solution to this. The reason that the 'game files' were put in the 'My Documents' / 'Documents' directory was to comply with Microsoft guidelines regarding such 'user' files. The problem is that ALL installations now point to the same set of files, making concurrent installations of different versions VERY problematic-to-impossible.

I don't foresee a solution to this issue any time soon. This MAY be something that will have no solution until 'Version 3', where some UI improvements may be worked on. At that point (I assume) changes to allow for options on where to store and read the 'user' files MIGHT be implemented.

Unfortunately, as far as I'm aware, there is no solution to this. The reason that the 'game files' were put in the 'My Documents' / 'Documents' directory was to comply with Microsoft guidelines regarding such 'user' files. The problem is that ALL installations now point to the same set of files, making concurrent installations of different versions VERY problematic-to-impossible.

Bummer, I understand why this change was made I get that. I just assumed that there was a way to control where the game saved files or an install option to control it. Oops my bad - never assume.

There is some discussion about how to handle this on the main board and there seems to be a solution to deal with version specific mods. The problem only becomes game files especially saved games.

I don't foresee a solution to this issue any time soon. This MAY be something that will have no solution until 'Version 3', where some UI improvements may be worked on. At that point (I assume) changes to allow for options on where to store and read the 'user' files MIGHT be implemented.

I would really like to see a solution. Please lobby for it. Since I have multiple PBEM games going on and most of my opponents prefer (based on your advice even) to not upgrade games in progress it means I need to run more than one version of each game (I currently have three versions of CMBN going right now). Any opportunity to accidentally mess up the files of one game with another is bad. Mistakes happen so having the different version of the game managing separate save directories helps a great deal by eliminating one whole class of errors.

I would even be happy with manually editing a config file.