Company Commander

What I was really looking forward to seeing in the game and not having to do it myself was a way to command a company for a couple of days lets say...Like SASL..

So you would get a company and move out across a map having no idea what you would run into...either a great deal of the enemy, or a few...some days would be uneventful...some would be action packed...some days you owuld be assigned a recon, or a flank protection...etc...send out listening posts at night

If you took too many casualities then you have to stand down the company for a couple of a days or a week...

This would all be possible if we could a) link radomn scenarios or B) carry over units from scenario to another...

I don't think I am alone on this...I think most gamers I know.. even grognards like me would love the chance to be able to do this...just look at the reponse already about creating campaigns

I do it with ASL now and I've just stopped playing the standard balanced scenarios...For instance int he last one I took a small ville and was counter attacked by a massive armour attack which just appeared ont eh ridges overlooking the ville.. If I hadn't moved the company by the book I would have been scewed.. Anyway I wish there was some way I could do this with your game without having to try to hack it...

John

Guest Big Time Software

Combat Mission allows all of this to happen, but not automatically. Far more important things need to be done first, like AI for example. We support 90% of you want, and 100% of what you want if someone else makes the scenarios/campaigns for you (and this is likely to happen). Due to time considerations, and the fact that a minority (even if significant head count wise) of Combat Mission gamers will do this, means it won't be in the first release. Future releases... who knows? It is certainly on our list wink.gif

Steve

Guest Lokesa

That would be pretty cool, an SASL style PC wargame. But then again, CM is going to be pretty cool for sure. Actually though, I think the larger campaign we've been talking about lately could give you a lot of what your looking for. It wouldn't be solo but would still have the unknown aspect.

Guest Big Time Software

After only a couple of times at it, a player can make a scenario (map and all) in a couple of hours. Historical ones will, of course, need more time for research, but the creation time is about the same. What does this mean?

Powerful Editor + Ease of use + quick creation times + Internet = LOTS OF SCENARIOS to play.

In fact, we are working behind the scenes here to make sure that there are LOTS of scenarios ready for you from the moment the game ships. There will be no shortage of stuff to play.

Steve

I am thrilled by the number of scenarios...but its the linking thing LOL.. I really want to be able to transfer the units to the next scenario.. I understand that you have time constraints...but if there is some way that I could do it manually.. throught the editor etc. that would be cool...

John

Guest Big Time Software

Well, you largley can already. No, they won't have casualties and experience gains (again, that is unrealistic at this level), but you can have the same exact force for 10 scenarios, or 10 campaigns in a row if someone makes them for you (and someone will, trust us!). Right now you have to manually change their names (yes we are pushing this feature up on the list!), but it can happen. We are also hopeful that we can automate this, but aren't sure how hard it is to do. If it is easy enough, it will go in.

Steve

That's great... Glad to see the name change thing is moving up the priority list...So at the end of one scenario I can transfer the remainder of the company...or whatever...to another scenario...whoever is left... top them up...ie crerate more units int he editor so i have a complete company or whatever then play...

see hwta I will probably be doing is this. ..change names to familiar for starting units in a campaign...create a radom campaign...play the campaign...transfer whoever is remaining the end of the game by creating another random campaign and using the editor to transfer those units who are left athe end of the last saved campaign..

top up company vt creating more units..play campaign...and on and on till..well..lets not go there...

So I will be able to do that right? I don't care if it takes time for me to do just that I can do that...build my own little safe ww2 environemnt,,, smile.gif

John

Guest Big Time Software

You can now (officially) edit your unit names before going into battle. But we are still not sure if you can move your forces from one battle to the next automatically. We are still looking at how easy/hard this would be.

However, *IF* we get this in you will most likely move your ORIGINAL force from one map to the next, not the ending force. At CM's scale this isn't unrealistic as your force should be topped off by the next battle for the most part. If you don't want them to be, you can always edit them "down" for the next scenario.

I keep saying scenario here beacause we are not planning on having random campaigns. We do not feel that we have the time to put them in. And because there will be LOTS to choose from various websites, we also don't see this as the best place to spend our limited remaining time. AI would be a MUCH better thing to invest in.

The BEST thing to do is have someone else make a bunch of scenarios/campaigns with the same starting force. This will ensure complete surprise and well designed scenarios OR campaigns to play from. I am sure this will happen.

Steve

Well this is great thankyou....I don't mind editing them down....And if I can edit the names and then delete the guys who are gone..I'll be happy...and each new scenario will be random of course so I won't know what's coming...

Will we be able to edit the names and units in the campaign too? I'd love radom campaigns but I understand time constraints...

John