(Mis)identifying units

guachi

Guest Big Time Software

Jeeze, ask an easy one why doncha smile.gif

Uhm... all sorts of things are looked at. Here is a list off the top of my head...

Distance

LOS quality

Enemy unit's size

Enemy unit's action (Hiding, shooting, etc)

Enemy unit's type

Terrain unit is in

Friendly unit's experience

Friendly unit's state (suppression)

Friendly unit's type

Friendly unit's action (buttoned, running, etc.)

Uhm... probably forgot a few things smile.gif As to what is spotted and what it is spotted as... this is done by Fuzzy Logic rules based on the above information.

Steve

Thanks.

Don't you ever sleep???

The reason I asked is because the AARs from Fionn and Martin, while showing spotting in action, don't exactly show HOW it is done.

Of course, I assume all of this would be in the manual. But the more we know now, the faster we will be able to start playing.

Anyway, now that I know the basics, I am wondering about the variability of what is being identified.

Here is an example:

Germans spotting an M4A3

If I am not mistaken, there are various levels of spotting accuracy. For the M4A3 the spotting sequence would be (assuming the Germans don't misidentify) something like Med tank, M4, M4A3.

I'm guessing that there is a possibility of spotting wrong. We see in the AAR that Fionn's (now dead) Puma was identified as a halftrack for 21 turns! In the Sherman's case, is there a possibility that it would be identified as a Light tank? Assuming yes, could it then be further misidentified as a M3 Stuart? If it is identified (correctly) as an M4, could it be incorrectly identified as an M4/105 or an M4 with a 76mm gun?

I think it would be neat if you were never absolutely certain of an identification. Like if American units constantly identified German armor as Panthers or Tigers rather than just Med Tank? or Hvy Tank? I doubt that most American soldiers could identify the latest oddball German tank destroyer.

But then again, maybe this detailed of spotting rules would be a lot of effort for little gain. I program in RPG/IV for the AS/400 so I don't know jack squat about game programming.

Jason

Guest Big Time Software

I sleep when Charles lets me wink.gif

You are correct about the different spotting levels. They can go by really quickly (i.e. from nothing to positive ID in a few seconds), but generally take a few turns to get right.

Misidentification can only happen within a class of unit types. They basically are:

Infantry (then teams/squads)

Softskins (trucks and jeeps)

Light Armor (anything from an AC to light tank)

Medium Armor (pretty much the bulk of tracked vehicles)

SPA (turretless and armored)

Big Stuff (German heavy suckers, like KTs and JTs).

So troops won't mistake a M3 for a M4, but might mistake a M4A3 (105) for a M4A3 (75), or a PzIV with a Tiger. The Allies have the worse job because the difference between one German tank and another is more likely to matter more than from the German pespective. Going up against a Tiger or a PzIV is a big difference both offensively and defensively, but going up against a M4A3 (76) or a M4A3 (75) doesn't make much difference in terms of defeating, but does in terms of risk factor.

Steve

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

Random within a class, so far as I know. However, I am pretty sure that Charles coded something special for the US forces to guess "Tiger" more often, depending on experience level. Sheesh... if you believe the US AARs from the day you would think the Germans had more Tigers in service than trucks smile.gif

There is one AAR that spoke of knocking out a Tiger. Not just spotting one, but killing it. However, the nearest unit with a Tiger was VERY far away. The author pretty much concluded that it was a StuG from an attached VG unit. So even after the battle sometimes the Americans liked to stick to their story wink.gif

Steve

Thanks for clarifying. You guys did spotting *exactly* the way I was hoping. Even going so far as to give an extra chance to identify German armor as Tiger.

With the German player likely to be massively outgunned, he needs every advantage he can get...

And Steve, just keep popping the ephedrine, that'll keep you awake.

Jason