License Issues on reload

I was running SCGC until a crash last week, have had to reinstall. I obtained my game from a disc I bought- I think at a retail outlet a couple years ago. It downloaded fine but I now have no idea how to get past the 'license' screen. I have searched and cannot locate the documentation needed to activate. Suggestions?

Was the game possibly distributed by Excalibur Games in the UK ? I'm not sure who else may distribute SCGC in retail stores. If it was the Excalibur Games distribution, then I believe it is using eLicense. Do you still have access to the directory where the game was originally installed or did that drive die or was wiped out ? If you DO have access to the original directory, then look for a file named:

receipt.txt

Inside this text file look for the line:

'Order ID'

This will be your license key.

If you no longer have access to the original installation location, then as others have said, I would expect the license key to be printed on a sticker or piece of paper attached to the manual (if there was one) or the disc case. I don't think that the license sticker would be attached to the outside of a retail box (though that could be possible).

I bought it on Ebay back in 2010. The motherboard went out on my old system and a tech backed up my files to a program he included, I can access it from my desktop. I found the SCGC stuff and there is no file corresponding to the name- receipt.txt. I don't recall getting any manual with the game now that I think about it I don't think there was even a box. Obviously there had to have been a code I had from someplace to get it running but I doubt it's going to be found. I am screwed.

I understand the reasons for doing this but it is so terribly frustrating. I have the game downloaded and just can't launch it and probably never will.

You are looking at the directory where the game was installed, correct ? That is where the 'receipt.txt' file should be located if this is a Battlefront or Excalibur Games distribution of SCGC standard.

If this is Windows Vista or 7, then your 'receipt.txt' file may be located elsewhere, such as the hidden VirtualStore directory (a Microsoft security feature). This will usually be something like this (though your path will potentially be a bit different):

'\Users\{your account name}\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\Battlefront\Strategic Command WWII Global Conflict'

The normal location for this directory is hidden and you have to set your File Manager to see hidden and system files in order to see it. Since this is a backup of your previous system, I would guess that these files would be visible without enabling the hidden file features of the File Manager.