Allied frustation setting in

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I was able to beat Dave as Axis in a 1.02 game, me as Allies, but it was really, really close. Dave has a good strategy but imo it's high risk, pretty much all-or-nothing. I think it highlights that experience plays a big role in SCG. It also reinforces what the best SC player ever, Terif, said many times...don't surrender too early. Here's a synopsis of the game:

Dave got great research luck for the Japanese, achieving infantry 2 AND motorization within the first few turns. As a result he sliced through my poor Chinese like a meat cleaver carving up Peking Duck tableside. The Chinese surrendered in late 1941 after a valiant but doomed effort, ground to bits under the treads of the fast moving Japanese. But at the same time I had the Brits gather every mpp they could around the Globe, and also had them take Brunei and the Solomons in 1941 which I think surprised him, but for the Allies which the only repurcussion is it causes Japan to go to war with England. Dave responded well to my Pacific surprises and took those territories back in time but it did distract him and take mpps in doing so while funding the Treasury back in England, and later in the game I was able to hold or establish and then expand some beachheads in the Pacific. Anyway, by the time Barbarossa rolled around I could see that Dave's Axis strategy out west was going to be Russia first, period, as the only minors he took was Norway and Yugoslavia. He pretty much ignored and striped the other theatres and garrisonsed the West and Italy with the Italians and mnors and some German corps and threw as much of the Wehrmacht and Luftwaffe at the Russians as he could scrape up. Stalin was upset! He even bypassed some Russian cities and sent his bulwark in one direction...toward the third Russian capital. He had me behind the Urals by the Fall of 1942 and was pressing on my final capital when winter hit...thank goodness. But keep in mind he also had that great Japanese research luck in getting infantry 2 and motorization right of the bat, so the Japanese were pressing the Russians too, from China. He thought I would surrender. But the words of former Grand Master Emeritus, Terif, rung in my ears like Obi Wan Kanobi talking to Luke. "Bob, listen to the Force, don't surrender..." So as bleak as it looked I decided to play through the winter of 1942. And lo-and-behold, the Russians luck turned. Dave misplayed his Japanese in Russia and attacked to early imo so I was able to deal with them first, the Japanese being at low supply. Those poor Samari didn't even havie sake to slake their fears against those Russian longknives and merciless Asian brethren on the other side of the trenches, the feared Siberian Russians. So, my level 4 and 5 tanks in the depth of winter struck when he couldn't deploy air, while I stalled the Germans moving in from the other flank. With the Japanese dealt with I was then able to turn full force toward the Germans as spring of 1943 arrived. By then I was replenished in Russia, even having handed out extra vodka rations and borscht, while also pressing all around out west where I had taken Spain and Portugal and Norway and Sweden and all of Africa except Adis Ababba. His all Russia attack left him open to Western Allied advances, the Achillees heel in his strategy. So by the spring of 1943 he was so stretched in Russia that my offensive there put him on his heels and we called the game. He said he thought he could fight for a draw but I disagreed, as once the US units rolled off the assembly lines and joined the fray they would have kept the Germans on their heels, not to mention that Italy was endangered. In the Pacific the Allies were able to stall the Japanese in Eastern India, and had a toehold in the Dutch East Indies.

So I think the 1.04 improvements will make a big difference, especially those forts up north in China. The Axis player will have to play for a longer game and plan on operating units around to deal with Allied offensives once the US enters the war.

Bob