Thick armor

Moon

Could you maybe explain the armor penetration diagrams once more? I still dont seem to get the full picture here (and please bear with me if this has been a topic before, I couldnt find it anywhere):

In the text different hit locations on a vehicle are mentioned ("...a Sherman 76mm can penetrate the lower hull out to approximately 550meters. Within 200 meters, the turret front can also be penetrated..."), but I can't find the corresponding information in the actual diagrams. Am I missing something, like color coding in the diagram that shows the percentages for the different hit locations? Or do you have different diagrams for different locations?

In other words: how do I see which percentage belongs to which hit location?

------------------

Guest Big Time Software

You can't tell _directly_ from the diagram which part of the tank is penetrable, but you can infer it from the color of the diagram at a particular location if you know the armor thicknesses on the tank. We haven't posted the armor thickness data on that page, but in the case of the Panther, it's the upper hull that's quite thick (80mm) and highly sloped (55 degrees). The Sherman 76mm can't penetrate it at all, even at point blank range. The turret (which has far less slope) and lower hull (which is thinner) can be penetrated by the 76mm, albeit only to about short/medium range. You can tell in the diagram when the color abruptly changes - that's the boundary where another portion of the tank has become penetrable.

Actually the diagram we have up is a little out of date. We've improved the penetration algorithms since making those. I'll create and post some more soon.

Charles