Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Wish for the next CM-Engine: Avoidance Order

In WEGO -

I don't often use Hunt orders for either vehicles or infantry any more - my sense is their situational awareness is just too poor and I have been burned too many times. It often seems like Hunt is more like a Move order - strolling along until they have been shot at (often more than once) before they -oops- decide they're getting shot at

In CMx1 I used to use Move to Contact in conjunction with a Hide order all the time - I loved that. Infantry would just drop and hide after the first bullet or two. In CMx2 my guys just keep walking along, start getting shot at and kind of stand there half scratching their rears while people the unit catches up etc while my heart/inner voice is screaming 'hit the deck!' - and then one of them just gets shot before they start 'cowering' or something.

It's just too painful to watch over and over again - I've given up on it

Now - where I would ordinarily like to 'Hunt' I will usually:

1- have Scouts or units 'Quicking ahead' to either cover, concealment, or an accompanying 'HIDE' order

2- then unhide them the next turn - so they can take a look around from an non-strolling position.

So basically I QUICK-HIDE with circular cover arc-and-UNHIDE to substitute for 'HUNT'. Often times I 'see things' while 'up and Quicking' the last few yards or so - which is great.

I don't trust Hunt and have had too many troops get shot when they seemed to be almost just 'Moving until Shot at several times' rather than 'Hunting'

Same with vehicles - I scout better and have vehicles usually FAST to a safe place or a shooting position. I will HUNT a vehicle to try to fine-tune a hulldown position but I don't trust that very much either and put an end to my HUNT order where I think I will lose Hull Down