The Scottish corridor - A amazing Job

Relatively new to CM, with BN-Cwlth (V2.01) m

So an interesting challenge on the learning curve for this game.

Ohhh

As Slysniper says this is rather jumping in at deep end....

Perhaps my earlier remarks need qualifying.

It is an excellent (if not the best) campaign but maybe not when learning the game at first.

If you take it in that vein and don't become too frustrated as CM does take some time to learn.

I would have to think where would be best to learn the basics, not sure if other threads give advice on best scenarios / campaigns to play to cut your teeth on....

:)

Relatively new to CM, with BN-Cwlth (V2.01) my first purchase. After working through the tutorial and some of the Single Missions, I read this thread and thought I would give the Scot Cor a go.

Bunkers in Mission 1 - I destroyed both with attacks to the side. Managed to scrape together a Tactical Victory.

Mission 2 - Could only manage a draw.

Mission 3 - In progress. Rather overwhelming at first. Not used to the size of the map, etc. Quite a challenge for the beginner setting up. Although the terrain looks relatively flat, there are enough undulations and bocage to limit LOS. Makes placing the AT guns a challenge.

So an interesting challenge on the learning curve for this game.

Would be interested in how it goes for you... Plenty here to offer help should you need it...

I have found out that the first mission has 2 different setups for the german AI, that is the german left side can showing the troops in front of the bocage or behind in the buildings .

In the last case the battle ibecome very hard for the allied without saving and reloading more times .

To date, playing Scottish Corridor (first three battles completed), ranks with the very best experience of playing CM.

This may be because I have studied Epsom in some detail, visited and walked a lot of the ground etc. and it captures the mood and elements of that battle and the battlefield brilliantly.

It forces you to think and to spend time analysing the terrain and putting together a decent plan. And it can be quite unforgiving should you be careless and/or unlucky.

I would love to see BFC commission the talented author to make more of these for inclusion in a 'pack'.

Thanks for the encouragement and forebodings!

At min 49 things are looking pretty grim. It seems anyone involved with spotting for the arty has gotten the chop. With the benefit of hindsight I guess I should have put a short target arc on them to stop them from firing and giving away their position. I presume if I hide them they will lose the arty spotting capability.

Given the paucity and quality of the allies I'm guessing that a carefully executed arty plan is the key to defending in the scenario.

A bazooka team had an excellent shot at a tiger from 60m, to the rear, and panicked instead!

Probably my best performing asset is the mortar teams.

Placed an anti-tank gun in the crop on the left. Had a good opportunity, took one shot - missed, then panicked.

Obviously need to treat these troops with kid-gloves.

Needless to say it is back to the drawing boards and put my arty spotters on a short target arc so they do not fire and give away their position.

What do observers do? I thought they would be arty spotters but that comes up as denied.

Good plan with your arty spotters. You are correct in that you can not hide them when it is time for spotting. But you can hide them or move them until or after that time. they only need to be looking when the spotting rounds actually fall. So learning to understand when that is going to happen is a good thing to understand in the game.

I like moving them behind cover once they have spotted and requested the fire mission. They can cancel the mission from anywhere. If they need to adjust it, I move them back into place to see.

Good plan with your arty spotters. You are correct in that you can not hide them when it is time for spotting. But you can hide them or move them until or after that time. they only need to be looking when the spotting rounds actually fall. So learning to understand when that is going to happen is a good thing to understand in the game.

I like moving them behind cover once they have spotted and requested the fire mission. They can cancel the mission from anywhere. If they need to adjust it, I move them back into place to see.

+1 to that. Single best artillery advice. You do not want your spotters exposed any more than necessary.

Another tip is always put your HQ's on short arc as well. HQ's are absolutely vital to good morale and you don't want them being fired at unless it has gone tits up. So I tend to make sure they are on short arc.

Artillery is really key to most battles and you have to learn to avoid it or bring it to bear as it is the real killer on the field, as it was IRL...

Simple (dumb?) question here: Can "Scottish Corridor" be played as German against Allied AI?

Nope... All designed as Human vs AI as Allied Human and AI Germans.

It takes an incredible amount of time to design AI plans (not that I have ever done any).

Can "Scottish Corridor" be played as German against Allied AI?

Nope, but it's not beyond the realm of all possibility that I might craft a short 'Germans at Gavrus' campaign using the full-sized Gavrus map. Maybe even a Grainville campaign too but there were more diverse units fighting in the latter so it would be less historical. I love playing as the Germans so it's an interesting project. For the rest, the defenders usually got steamrollered (after giving very good account of themselves) and so there's not much scope for a number of batttles using the same core units there.

And, by the way, thanks for your appreciation guys. When your work gets appreciated, it inspires you to keep working. It takes a lot of time and effort to put together something as big, and sophisticated, as this. As you've remarked, it's not just 15 linear-linked missions ;)

Paper Tiger created it? Now that doesn't surprise me..I've raved about his campaigns many times before..

Quite. In my dreams I meet Paper Tiger face to face in a bar. I buy him huge quantities of the best booze available as a thank you for all the pleasure his scenarios and campaigns have given me. Then, using a very large haddock, I beat him to death for all the screaming frustration his scenarios and campaigns have given me.

****SPOILERS****

I finished this last weekend. One of the things that made it so frustrating were the German barrages. I'd lose whole platoons five minutes into the scenarios. So I began to deploy troops further back in the set up area...only to STILL lose a platoon or so.

I did get the bonus mission and thought it would be a great finishing scenario...til I saw TWO king Tigers lurking on the far end of the map. How I am supposed to survive them?!?

How I am supposed to survive them?!?

Well, since you asked :). The Germans used King Tigers to support their counterattacks that day and wherever they attacked, the Brits were unable to hold them. However, that wouldn't make for a fun scenario* so I added a couple of tank destroyers to the Brit OB that weren't there on the day so that you do have the tools to do the job. They can take the KTs down if you can get the tank destroyers into good positions. ;)

* This is the reason why the other bonus mission, 'Brew Up', never made it into the campaign. The Churchills couldn't take out the three JgPanthers. It was historical but it most definitely was NOT fun. I will include a <cough> less-historical version of 'Brew Up' in the revised campaign though

Well, since you asked :). The Germans used King Tigers to support their counterattacks that day and wherever they attacked, the Brits were unable to hold them. However, that wouldn't make for a fun scenario* so I added a couple of tank destroyers to the Brit OB that weren't there on the day so that you do have the tools to do the job. They can take the KTs down if you can get the tank destroyers into good positions. ;)

* This is the reason why the other bonus mission, 'Brew Up', never made it into the campaign. The Churchills couldn't take out the three JgPanthers. It was historical but it most definitely was NOT fun. I will include a <cough> less-historical version of 'Brew Up' in the revised campaign though

This was a great campaign though i played it before the upgrade,and the mgs were tough then.The brens are key in a lot of the infantry firefights and stay mobile because of the arty.

Just a request PT,if this campaign is eventually revised could we have more time added to a few of the scenarios.The feeling i got was that i was being forced to push my troops through a meat grinder due to time restaints.Now i think this was the original intention so as to give a feeling of what the original battles felt like.From a gameplay situation it can be a bit frustating.

All some scenarios need is say an extra ten minutes,it'll still keep everything tight but a tad more relaxing into the bargain.All good stuff though and looking forward to OMG.

Yes, I was thinking along the lines of adding 10 minutes to each Regular version when the AI is defending and adding a LOT more time to the Green versions. (Veterans will keep the tight limits though) There's no doubt that this has become more difficult since v2.01.

I have also decided to make a substantial revision of the 'Going to Church' mission to make it much tougher for the Brits. It sounds like too many people were able to get wins here so I'm going to make it more historical ;). To offset this, the difficulty of the Regular "Crescendo of Doom' mission will be toned down a wee bit, and a LOT for the Veteran version.

This is hilarious. I am glad I saw this thread.

After being away from the game for awhile, I returned because WW2 tactical simulations are really my favorite. I thought I would try The Scottish Corridor to see if I could get captured back into the fun of it, after being thrilled/traumatized by C and F.

Beautifully researched, and the first map is astonishing--I like junk metal and other terrain do-dads. And I turn on the trees, instead of just seeing the trunks, from time to time just to enjoy the scenery. It is like being in an RPG.

But I am glad to have been informed that this is considered a tough campaign. I have found the first mission long and tough--gloriously so. I am not quite done, but now I won't be so hard on myself. In general, my tactics in CM1 and before seem like child's play compared to what I have to use in CM2.

What is the Green, Regular, Veteran version you are talking about? Are those different types in the in the regular download?

[Re: bunkers--I consider them "destroyed" when the occupants are dead, and didn't know the bunker itself could be destroyed. Can it? I had no problem KOing a bunker with a 75mm shot at point blank range.]

What is the Green, Regular, Veteran version you are talking about? Are those different types in the in the regular download?

They're all contained in one campaign. Basically, the campaign script checks how you are doing in the campaign from time to time and if you're winning big (i.e. better than Minor Victories), it will direct you to more difficult versions of the following missions (Veteran). If you are losing, you'll go to easier versions (Green, or Regular if you're playing Veteran). Regular and Veteran players get to play a special bonus mission after the regular campaign finishes ;) BTW, I've refined this testing system for the MG campaign.

****SPOILERS****

I did get the bonus mission and thought it would be a great finishing scenario...til I saw TWO king Tigers lurking on the far end of the map. How I am supposed to survive them?!?

Shameless plug... (this is how)

:D

The bonus mission was fun to play, it was the final mission of the veteran campaign proper that wasn't. I was little more than a speedbump for a concentrated Panzer rush considering the small number of forces I had left. :( But don't get me wrong awesome campaign overall! Looking forward to MG even more if PaperTiger has the honours.

Did anybody win the Odon Bridges mission? I find this mission extremly difficult(but I'm just a mediocre player). The first artillery strike did wipe out an important part of my defenders and the germans are just too numerous.

Buildings as defensive position are bad. As soon as the enemy is in sight my defenders in buildings are wiped out.

I find this mission the most dificult one at the moment....

• 1 month later...

Ok, I finally sat down last night and played the Bonus mission and finished this campaign.

The Mission La Mancelliere – and whomever said 2 king Tigers – somehow I had 3 to deal with.

I was set on elite level in this campaign, played real time and just had a ball.

I could not leave this final mission and stayed up late to finish it, when I realized the Germans were making a counter attack. I had already decided I was only going to get 2 of the 3 objectives in the battle and that the deep area was not feasible. But now the Germans were pushing to take the center area back. It was fun holding them off and having to deal with a King Tiger as part of that force in the counter attack.

When all the smoke settled and the Battle was over. I had the two objectives and the third was still firmly in German hands, with 2 King Tigers guarding the road to enter that village.

The battle ended with the results of a draw-no winner

My hero or the last battle was a little stuart that had 29 kills and 1-PZ-IVJ to its tally, sadly I sacrificed him to drive out the last Germans in the center objective.

For the whole campaign it has given me a tactical defeat, which seems harsh since I made it this far without cheating except for once, I think I did restart one battle once for some reason which I cannot remember anymore. But on the other hand I know how this thing kicked my butt in a few missions and how I wasted lives of my units way to many times to feel there was any victory earned.

But my final statistics look good and I feel I played OK for the Challenge given me, Likely one of the most enjoyable games I have ever played in Wargaming

Kills 493 to 824

Wounds 344 to 505

Tanks 30 to 33

AV (I forgot to write it down but that was in the German favor by a good bit)