The Scottish corridor - A amazing Job

Maybe someone can answer one question for me that happened in this game.

I received a typhoon fighter bomber early in the game. the only unit that could give it orders was the Forward observer. Which it did and things went fine. late in the game you receive another typhoon, so I made sure the FO stayed alive and that it could be used for the next plane to call it in.

Needless to say, when the plane came, neither that F.O. or any other unit could contact it.

So I was wondering about that, what am Ii missing here or is this a error that was done by the designer or something.

Needless to say, when the plane came, neither that F.O. or any other unit could contact it.

So I was wondering about that, what am Ii missing here or is this a error that was done by the designer or something.

Well, designer error sounds the most likely explanation :D

But seriously, I have no idea why you can't call in the second FB with rockets with your FO. They're both British so perhaps there's some issue with it being a reinforcement. I don't remember this being a problem when it was being tested and nobody else has picked it up to this date. Maybe your radio guy got hit? I'll check it out and see if there is something I've missed.

Well, designer error sounds the most likely explanation :D

But seriously, I have no idea why you can't call in the second FB with rockets with your FO. They're both British so perhaps there's some issue with it being a reinforcement. I don't remember this being a problem when it was being tested and nobody else has picked it up to this date. Maybe your radio guy got hit? I'll check it out and see if there is something I've missed.

No, the radio man was OK, I was wondering if the chain of command could have something to do with it.

I dont want to say Bug - but I did have a plane in another scenario I played here in the last 3-4 months that I had the same issue, It came on as a reinforcement in the game but I just had no one that could contact it, I figured I had lost the unit that was desinated for it, but was not sure who that would have been.

Anyway, just wondering, I know planes have limited units that can spot for them.

• 1 year later...

I just started playing through this campaign, and I am halfway through the first battle. One of the toughest AI opponents I have yet faced. This is a great start to hours of fun.  Love the maps and the time challenge - very little sneak and peek. Thanks for your very hard work

PS I just got my buddy, stonecutter, to start playing as well. He is likewise, very impressed!

Man. I forgot all about this thread. Boy how time flies.

I just don't have the time to go back and play something again, but if I did. This would be a good place to start.

I am working on CMBS campaigns at the moment, played the Ukrainian one and the Russian one and now in mission three of the US one. (Just to show how long it takes me to get through them with the time I have to invest) I know I have hardly touched the campaigns in the Russian front - so at my pace, I never run out of new scenario's or battles to play.

But it would be fun to play this one again, since I still feel it was the best fight I have ever had vs. the AI

Quick question and possible *SPOILERS*

I'm on mission 3 (veteran) and the briefing states I have two 6 pound AT guns. I have no AT guns on map, but I do have the AT ammo bearers. Is this a bug?

One of the few unfortunate side effects of BF upgrading CMBN to stay up-to-date with newer CM releases is that some of the older scenarios and campaigns that were created under the 1.0 engine are now out-of-date especially as to OOBs.  There have been changes to OOBs that have resulted in some older scenarios/campaigns now missing vehicles/equipment or having what appears to be bugged chains-of-command (ex: changes made to the OOB for US armored infantry platoons will result in their having TWO platoon commanders in older scenarios.) 

Since all CM campaigns/scenarios are user-made, BF doesn't update them when it patches or upgrades the game.  It leaves it to the individual designers to update them or not.  And most have chosen not too.  So, when one plays an older scenario/campaign with a fully updated/upgraded version of CMBN then one will occasionally stumble across OOB discrepancies or "bugs."

Edited by Myles Keogh

Since all CM campaigns/scenarios are user-made, BF doesn't update them when it patches or upgrades the game.  It leaves it to the individual designers to update them or not.   

I am not sure i agree with this.  For repository campaigns/scenarios thats fine, but for QB maps/campaigns/scenarios shipping with the game they should also be updated to work with the latest code. 

Otherwise you could be buying a new game (with the latest patch) with parts of the game are not-working or incomplete. 

I am not sure i agree with this. For repository campaigns/scenarios thats fine, but for QB maps/campaigns/scenarios shipping with the game they should also be updated to work with the latest code.

Otherwise you could be buying a new game (with the latest patch) with parts of the game are not-working or incomplete.

Agreed. The policy described above is, frankly, a bit weird.

If it ships with the game then it is, commonsensically, part of it.

Fully agree. The campaigns are a large part of the game and should not be damaged when upgrading the game with content that BF actually charges for as improvements to the base.

I fully understand that mods and user content could become obsolete, but the game original game content should not be damaged. 

Wish all you want, but considering the campaigns and scenarios are donated by users to the company to begin with.

There really is no way to expect updated tweaks to the scenarios.

The good news is, you can go in and modify any original scenario all you want and fix them to your heart's content.

The campaigns, now that is a problem, it can be done, but it is not a task done without tons of effort and time. Thus the reason it is not going to likely happen.

But your best bet is to find out who designed the campaign originally and beg them to put a updated version out. But most doing that stuff have moved on and are focused on new stuff, so they generally do not have the time to go back on the old ones. But a few have been updated at some point. Look in the download area

I just got my butt handed to me playing the mission Best of Plans in  the Scottish Corridor, , "SlySniper" was right this game pits your  need to fight time and yet worry

deeply about your men. I too noticed that the sniper not only couldn't  find all the enemy strong points but keeping them from being killed was a game in its self.

This  game has so many levels to deal with  just when you think you have made a break out your in another maze of issue's.  I love  playing this Game!!!!

• 6 years later...
43 minutes ago, Hister said:

Who might that fellow be? A forum user?

There were two of them, both best avoided. A 19th century composer, and a dreary 1960's singer.

With regards to the mission. Beware of Nebelwerfers. Avoid the temptation to rush your troops into "Gretel". And try to get troops into hard cover around "Hansel" rather than relying on the foxholes for protection.

54 minutes ago, Warts 'n' all said:

There were two of them, both best avoided. A 19th century composer, and a dreary 1960's singer.

With regards to the mission. Beware of Nebelwerfers. Avoid the temptation to rush your troops into "Gretel". And try to get troops into hard cover around "Hansel" rather than relying on the foxholes for protection.

Ah, I see - I am not of Anglosaxon stock so I don't know these two best to be avoided individuals. 

OK, will see what that hardcover might be in Hansel (buildings?) and avoid Gretel. 

2 hours ago, Hister said:

Ah, I see - I am not of Anglosaxon stock so I don't know these two best to be avoided individuals. 

OK, will see what that hardcover might be in Hansel (buildings?) and avoid Gretel. 

Good luck with the mission. It is tough, but winnable.

The 19th century Humperdinck was German and composed an opera entitled "Hansel and Gretel" in 1893.

The second one was "Anglo-Saxon" born into a military family in India. His real name was Arnold George Dorsey, it was an old mate who suggested the Humperdinck name change in the 1960's. 

4 hours ago, Warts 'n' all said:

Good luck with the mission. It is tough, but winnable.

The 19th century Humperdinck was German and composed an opera entitled "Hansel and Gretel" in 1893.

The second one was "Anglo-Saxon" born into a military family in India. His real name was Arnold George Dorsey, it was an old mate who suggested the Humperdinck name change in the 1960's. 

I already won it back in the day but am replaying it. I got stuck back then with one later scenario. 

Is there a remade campaign by Paper Tiger somewhere? Was it published?

Thank you for the explanation of where the scenario name originates from.

18 hours ago, Hister said:

Anyone has any Hanzel and Gretel scenario tips? 

Use the 25-pounders to lay a smoke screen on the right side (Linear). The smoke will drift across his key defenses. *SPOILERS* Right across his PAK-75. You need the spotter imbedded with the infantry. The 25 Pounder light and long barrage so that you have the opportunity to adjust fire. Adjust fire right in front of the vision slits. It is an attrition battle can't be helped. The Churchills use the roads in the back only. 

5 hours ago, chuckdyke said:

Use the 25-pounders to lay a smoke screen on the right side (Linear). The smoke will drift across his key defenses. *SPOILERS* Right across his PAK-75. You need the spotter imbedded with the infantry. The 25 Pounder light and long barrage so that you have the opportunity to adjust fire. Adjust fire right in front of the vision slits. It is an attrition battle can't be helped. The Churchills use the roads in the back only. 

I think you are getting confused. The British are defending in this mission. And it doesn't include a PAK 75 or any Churchills.