The Scottish corridor - A amazing Job

I just wanted to point out what an amazing job was done on this campaign.

Even the way it is designed to give many levels of play depending on how the player does is just a work of art.

I can truthfully say it is the first time that I have ever felt that a designer and the AI has really beaten me. Yes I mean beaten.

Now for many of you, I know you have played this and likely long ago, maybe some even more than once. But here I am still working through it for the first time. I just finished the "A Bloody Encounter" and will be Rollin into the next mission at some point. But the last few missions have been no winning affair for me and I see I recently dropped to Green level. So a humbling encounter for sure.

But the thing that is most amazing is, I feel it is rightfully earned. The play has been balanced and I have had my chances. Position of defensive units have been great and time again I have moved myself into killing zones knowing they could exist, but finding myself forced to do it because of my goals and path of my attacks. It has been a nightmare and one I have enjoyed every step of the way. A panther did a number on some of my Churchill's a game or so ago. Now in this last battle an AT gun has his way against more of my Churchill and again I just could not get arty in there to eliminate the problem. My infantry have found themselves to be taking losses in every way possible. If I am cautious, they will find themselves in arty barrages. If I push them and keep them moving. I find the scouts are not finding all the surprises in store for them.

Maybe I am just at the wrong end of the numbers in this battle this time, but I think it is more than that and have found defensive units placed excellently. Good job to whom it is owed to.

I normally play just for something to do if my HtoH turns are a little slow. But this might be the first campaign I ever will replay just to prove to myself I could do better by focusing on it and not taking it for granted.

Good write up, SS. Something positive amid the general negativity and nitpicking...

Re:RtM. I found the first mission, which used to be routine, has become a ****-buster with the new MG buff. If you're not careful...

Hey, since I am one of them guys that can be so negative and insulting on the forum, I just have to show I have a little ability to point out good things when I see them also.:)

I wonder how long it will be before you play them then:eek:

Never. As BF promised to keep the game up to date, these will be final when BF releases a new engine and starts back on Western front WW 2 with the new holographic 3D version that allows you to use a time portal and go back in time to find out if anyone ever resolved the question of infinity posed on some thread that is still running on the forum....

I was the one who posted the infinity question on the FI thread. I did it to point out that the thread was waaaaay off topic.

That being said, holographic 3D graphics and time portal...that's gonna be in the v3.0 right? I mean, it's the next logical advancement after developing war movie lighting.

Which, by the way, looks pretty cool on Bil's side of the CMFI AAR

I restarted The Scottish Corridor and found that those wooden bunkers in the first level are un-plausibly tough when shoot at with Churchill tanks. I spent almost all the ammunition of both tanks punding them bunkers without even a dent in them. What the heck!?

I was shooting with the 75 and also 95mm. None made any difference. That's strange if you hadn't had any problems with 95mm. Was playing with 2.1 version of the game. Prior to that version I also hadn't had any problems with them bunkers.

did bunkers get a improved defence in the latest release and it just has not been noticed. It is so seldom I get to use them that it might be worth checking into.

What timing if they did. I just started a HtoH match with bunkers on my side. And I could use them standing up to some tank fire.

I have just completed the first mission and can confirm that neither bunker was KO'ed despite multiple hits from both 75 and 95 mm guns.

On one bunker, several penetrations and partial penetrations were observed; on the other none.

Still got a major victory but was very surprised that the bunkers seemed indestructible.

James, are you talking about the bunkers themselves or the troops inside? I haven't had too much trouble with eventually nailing the occupants, and IIRC, once the troops are destroyed, the bunker cannot be entered by anyone (but I could be mis-remembering...I May have seen the destroyed icon on those bunkers I couldn't re-enter. it's been a while.)

Just starting the first mission. Used target light from the 75 HE shooter for 3 minutes to see if they would suppress. Didn't so changed over to the target command. The occupants were dead in a few seconds and the bunker showed destroyed before the minute was up. So it seems that it just the row of the dice whether it will get destroyed or not. V2.01. So to prove anything some testing would have to be done.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I am planning on revising this after my contribution to Market Garden is finished. I particularly want to rework the Veteran version of 'Crescendo of Doom' to exchange the Panthers with PzIVs. And to take advantage of the extra AI groups. There are a few missions that will definitely benefit from utilising all of them.

'Crescendo of Doom' was intended to be the campaign finale and so I didn't see much of a problem if the player's core units got hammered while defending the position in the Veteran version. But after it was done, I still had time on my hands and, historically, there was a further night attack on Grainville and so it became the penultimate mission. Regular and Green players have a good chance to go on and fight and win in 'Fair and Square' but Veteran players not so much. That will change in the revised version.

I particularly want to rework the Veteran version of 'Crescendo of Doom' to exchange the Panthers with PzIVs....

'Crescendo of Doom' was intended to be the campaign finale and so I didn't see much of a problem if the player's core units got hammered while defending the position in the Veteran version. But after it was done, I still had time on my hands and, historically, there was a further night attack on Grainville and so it became the penultimate mission. Regular and Green players have a good chance to go on and fight and win in 'Fair and Square' but Veteran players not so much. That will change in the revised version.

THANKYOU! From someone who went down the Veteran path that Crescendo mission was a great and desperate battle against a company of Panthers. But when I discovered I had to hold off another attack with the handful of forces I had left it felt like a kick in the guts as a player. I felt for my poor Pixeltruppen who had nothing left to give. :D Needless to say I was steamrolled in the night attack.

If you need volunteers down the road for testing the revised Crescendo scenario pencil me in.

Would be someone so nice to make an actual test with bunkers being shot at? I can't get the bunker destroyed nor their occupants killed with those two starting tanks. Reading that some people have no issue with this this should be a prime case for possible bug!

Would be someone so nice to make an actual test with bunkers being shot at? I can't get the bunker destroyed nor their occupants killed with those two starting tanks. Reading that some people have no issue with this this should be a prime case for possible bug!

Hmmm, well if my PBEM opponents drag their feet tomorrow...

maybe... ;)

But the last time I played with bunkers ( playtesting for a friend ), my bunkers died quite rapidly (vs Shermans ).