New file at the Repository: NATO TV 98-5 Steelers (2013-04-18)

About The ScenarioThis scenario comes in three different ‘flavours’. There are two Blue Vs Red: US Mech Vs Red Mech (NATO TV 98-5 Steelers_US) and Brit Mech Vs Red Mech (NATO TV 98-5 Steelers_Brits). There is one Blue Vs Blue:US mech Vs German Mech (NATO TV 98-5 Steelers_BvsB).You will need your CMSF with the NATO and British forces module and patched to 1.32The actual scenario is loosely based on Tactical Vignette 98-5 ‘Zone Recon to LOA Steelers’ and you download the original PDF at the following link http://www.benning.army.mil/Armor/ArmorMagazine/content/vignettes/tacvig98-5.pdfThis scenario looks at it’s best if you mod your game using Euroscape 1.0 File 1 to 8 available at The Repository on BFC’s website WWW.BATTLEFRONT.COMMap and Scenario SizeThis is a fairly large map by CMSF standards and those of you playing bottom end PCs may struggle with this one. You have been warned…Map Size: 2.7 x 2.9KmForces: Not to give too much away it’s a bit bigger than a company way smaller than a battalion! FWIW my specs are Intel Core E8400 processor; 8GB RAM and Nividia GTX660Ti.Loading time for the scenario is around one minute; game save times are about the same.Scenario BackgroundMechanised units from a RED Tank Division have seized ‘BENSONVILLE’ to north. It is now set-up in a deliberate defence on the south side of the town in OBJ GREEN. To prevent BLUE recon assets or small company teams from penetrating into the m...

More...

Thanks George...

So these are all separate downloads in the repository or you have a better d/l link? I noticed that I was aware of the mods back when pics were posted. But, for some reason I never found any link for downloads.

I find searching the (baffling) Repository by submitter or author seems to yield non-alphabetical results. :(

Do you recall which part of the CMSF repository section they are in? NATO; BRITS; BASEGAME etc?

Yup all seperate downloads - it's a lot of mods! http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2447

A fine scenario map (looks great with Euroscape Mod) with plenty of room to navigate the modern armor and plenty of options for surprise. Not giving anything away but don't think your modern armor is indestructible because I know from testing even M1Tanks can go poof in a flash :)

Now that NATO TV 98-5 Steelers scenario comes in three different ‘flavours’ we get a mini armor school of modern equipment differences. Very Cool!

Thanks Sir George,

************SPOILERS**************

I have attempted the Brit version but having a very hard time proceeding with any kind of speed without casualties.

Firstly the briefing warns that low-lying areas are soft so vehicles are prone to bogging. So, I put my heavy tanks behind the hills on the Brit R and L flanks along with an FO on each. This tends to make em useless since my biggest fear is enemy ATGM's.

I then moved along the central gully with my platoon. But, left the inf AFV's behind for similar reasons. After a light bombardment of the closest NAI, I get ambushed and lost 2-4 inf in two tries.

The only thing I can I can think of is that one must heavily bombard each NAI first and just have the inf move in to count the bodies. But, am unsure how much arty ammo I have, and don't want to prematurely run low.

Even so it takes me 30 minutes to this point, and the assault force arrives in another 30 minutes. I certainly won't have time to recon many further NAI's at this rate.

Any pointers re tactics or how to proceed?

************SPOILERS**************

I have attempted the Brit version but having a very hard time proceeding with any kind of speed without casualties.

Firstly the briefing warns that low-lying areas are soft so vehicles are prone to bogging. So, I put my heavy tanks behind the hills on the Brit R and L flanks along with an FO on each. This tends to make em useless since my biggest fear is enemy ATGM's.

I then moved along the central gully with my platoon. But, left the inf AFV's behind for similar reasons. After a light bombardment of the closest NAI, I get ambushed and lost 2-4 inf in two tries.

The only thing I can I can think of is that one must heavily bombard each NAI first and just have the inf move in to count the bodies. But, am unsure how much arty ammo I have, and don't want to prematurely run low.

Even so it takes me 30 minutes to this point, and the assault force arrives in another 30 minutes. I certainly won't have time to recon many further NAI's at this rate.

Any pointers re tactics or how to proceed?

The key to this one is a/ terrain - have a good look at the ground from level 1 there are several not very obvious routes that allow your AFVs to move fast with some degree of cover. i.e. fast move from one point of cover to the next via shallow cover. b/ if in doubt use smoke c/ you don't have enough arty support to bombard each NAI d/ the Brits have nippy wee mortars in all their sections... Hope this helps?

Edited to add: re bogging you just have to take your chances. The low laying gully/wadi features are very prone to bogging - that's the chance you take - but if you dismount all your infantry and move on foot , yup you'll run out time. You have to think bold and fast here BUT use the ground. It's tough no two ways. Ask Buzz :)

I have yet to play

Brit Mech Vs Red Mech (NATO TV 98-5 Steelers_Brits)

or

US mech Vs German Mech (NATO TV 98-5 Steelers_BvsB)

But I will for sure as soon as work allows.

Sir George is correct.

My advice for US Mech Vs Red Mech (NATO TV 98-5 Steelers_US)

"The key to this one is a/ terrain - have a good look at the ground from level 1." George's map offers several not very transparent routes for fast AFVs movement with some protection. Dismount your limited infantry and you'll run out time and expect casualties... so... think bold and fast. After all (Heavy Mech) is designed to take some abuse and keep the Thunder Rolling. Scouting ground level 1 routes is the key to reach objectives, IMO.

This is a HUGE 2.7 x 2.9Km scenario using modern armor and few infantry. It is a very well designed map. AFVs can blow up really fast from long distances so don't be too timid.

I was determined to figure it out. Don't be shy about restarts either. I did a few and some:)

Victory in this one is very satisfying.

Hope this helps.

I don't know modern heavy mechanized doctrine. I did learn this from Sir George's NATO TV 98-5 Steelers. A scout platform requires a balance of survivability, lethality, mobility, sustainability, and stealth. To function as heavy mechanized scout requires even greater survivability. You are often looking for other tanks / ATGMs that can destroy your before you spot them. If you don't survive contact with the enemy you fail to provide reconnaissance.

Ask yourself how your Bradley's will fair in encounters with hostile forces BIG Tanks, BMPs, ATGMs, IEDs/mines or infantry ambush … without M1 overwatch. Not very well or long. Since you have limited Bradley's / mechanized infantry scouts, make sure they are always under M1 overwatch.

With limited heavy reconnaissance assets or mechanized infantry, tank platoons can and do assume the role of scouts. Don't bunch up your armor. Target arc suspect target areas and Thunder Roll! M1s can move pretty darn fast from hull down to hull down spots you have reviewed a ground level 1.

Don't be afraid to restart. I did many, many times before I finally :) got a Major Victory. I learned plenty myself about using heavy mechanized on a great map suitable for modern, long range lethality. I had a blast… lots of blasts doing so. :D It is fun rolling the BIG armor.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice. It just plain scares me to run armor into unscouted territory.

In RL, wouldn't one send scouts in first?

They did in this scenario (Team - these boys did not survive long - that's why your armour team were tasked - re the brief (Excerpt from brief - elements from the scout platoon (Team 'Catcher') attempted to infiltrate through this zone to reconnoitre enemy positions and obstacles. As of first light this morning, the TF TOC has lost communications with the scouts...). They're a' deid!

Re tactics for scouting with heavy mech stuff - Buzz nails it with his comments.

The scenario is based on a tactical vignette posed to RL armour commanders. In that context this means that such a mission is indeed probable I would assume?

So to recap - use the ground (get down to Lev 1 and check out the approaches - obvious is not always good), use key holed overwatch (lot's of guns pointing at the enemy) and move fast, very fast, from covered position to covered position. Oh for long range keep your armour buttoned - they spot better. Let us know how ya get on Erwin.

Cheery!

What I am interested in is learning how to lead with armor.

In literally EVERY CM2 game I have played (and most CM1 as well) I have always led with a cautious inf recon. Find the enemy AT assets and kill em with arty. Use my inf AT assets to corner enemy armor. And only then bring up the armor for primarily anti-infantry work and to kill trapped enemy armor.

This formula has always worked well for me on CM2 maps cos they are relatively small with (usually) little opportunity for vehicular maneuver around flanks.

So, yes, this is a new challenge/experience for me and it's hard/scary to break old habits.

I know you will expand Erwin. This is a perfect scenario(s) to learni how to lead with armor. I understand "hard/scary to break old habits.". Most players here understand.... just get after it.

RESTART is your educational friend:)

It may take a few (or many in my case) but the satisfaction of learning is worth it.