Fionn/Martin: What systems are you using?

Just curious what horsepower you have in the systems you're running during this Alpha play-by-play presentation. I'd like to know what CPU and video cards and how much memory (just want to know if I need to start upgrading now!).

I apologize if you've mentioned this elsewhere, but if so it's eluded me.

Thanks,

Dar Steckelberg

I'm using a Pentium3, 500 MHz with a Monster Fusion 2D/3D card (16 MB)... Most of the time, I get FPS of 20-40, sometimes (when there is not action while I plot the moves), easily 60. Only rarely, when really a lot of stuff is moving on the map AND I am changing camera angles does the FPS sink below 10.

Guest Big Time Software

On that last note, the changing camera angles is something that takes about 1 or 2 seconds to complete. The main reason there is a bit of a hit for changing angles is that going from one totally different angle to another can mean all sorts of things to the code's optimizations. So this it is sorta changing the way it draws stuff to the screen. Going from Camera 1 to Camera 2 doesn't even have a hit on my machine because there isn't anything new going on. But Camera 1 to 4, for example, is a huge difference.

Oh, and don't forget these guys are using the Debug version. Aout 20% slower that the non-debug version. Sometimes more.

Steve

P.S. Again, for the record, Charles is using a 180MHz 604e machine and I am using a 210Mhz 604e machine. Neither of us have great video cards.

333 K6-II 3D now AMD

128 MB Ram

16 Mb Banshee card (combined card) (at least 2 generations behind the standard now I imagine)

I have no complaints about the performance on my system. I get between 20 and 40 fps... On the large maps with all the details on I get about 20 fps normally until I start plotting LOS etc and then it drops to about 10 fps which is still quite adequate.

It's not optimised either so that'll speed up.

Hi There,

I'm new to the discussion board, but I'm finding this topic of particular interest, as I've pre-ordered the game and am also looking at having to upgrade my system.

Is there a listing of minimum system requirements out there? For the record, I've got a Pentium 200MMX with an old video card w/4MB RAM. I'm pretty sure I'll have to get a new video card at the minimum; I'm just trying to figure out if it's more cost-effective to simply buy a new system rather than upgrade RAM, Processor and Video...

Thanks,

Bart

Thanks for the tip, Moon.

OK, so it looks like my system will squeak in under the limit for a minimum system. I guess I'll have to see how much Intel cuts their CPU prices in the fall... if it's enough, I may still go for a new box.

It's nice to see a game being developed that has nice graphics, but doesn't require the latest and greatest hardware out there to run well. Hopefully Charles and Steve won't spend their profits on better boxes. :)

Bart

Thanks for replying, guys! I guess my old Pentium Pro 200 won't be too bad since I have a Voodoo 3 2000 w/16MB to help it out. Even 10 fps won't be bad if I can just see what's going on well enough to get a general idea of what's happening!

I have no idea how to compare Pentiums to Macs, though. I'm hoping 180 MHz in a Mac is roughly equivalent to the same on a Pentium?

*sigh* If only it weren't for car payments, student loan payments, rent, and all those other payments (plus the general friction of life that introduces other expenses, like when a meteorite crashes through the roof and takes out your stereo), I'd be getting something like that 500 MHz PIII Martin's got for this game!

Thanks,

Dar Steckelberg

BJK and anyone else looking at possibly upgrading their existing system, or getting a new one,

I would seriously look at getting an entire new system if I were you and you have the money. Intel has already started slashing their prices just in the last 2 weeks or so as a result of the release of the AMD Athalon (K7) chips into the market place. PIII 450 and 500 chips have already fallen in price by $150 or more in just the last couple of weeks!!! PIII 450 and 500 chip systems from Gateway, Dell, and the like are starting to fall considerably in price in reaction to the fall in chip prices. I'm looking at buying a new one too since my current system is totally inadequate (Pentium 100 Mhz machine that is over 3.5 years old) for playing CM and the like. In any event now and in the very near future (next month or so) might be an excellent time to just replace your entire system since prices are continuing to fall due to some real competition coming into the market from AMD. If you want to get some excellent info comparing the new AMD and Intel chips and all matter of other things like what chip prices are doing on a weekly basis, recommended video cards, etc., go to: www.sharkyextreme.com

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

BJK - hey I upgraded the cheapest way possible smile.gif

I chucked my 486 out the windows and bought a baby Octek AT motherboard that fits inside my 486 desktop case, about $140 in Australia ($90 US?) , the PII Celeron 400mhtz is real cheap $215 ($150 US?), plus 192 megs of ram from previous Machine, a Leadtek Winfast s320 II TNT2 AGP (16 meg) running 140 mhtz (I've clocked it up to 150 mhtz) which is pretty damn quick and really cheap with a TV out as well $240 ($150 US?)

This machin flies for my music needs, and any game I play on the side for small bucks, I looked at the prices , and at the time a 466 mhtz celeron was another $100 more for a marginal gain and Pentium 2 were another $500 more, so this was the best choice and there is no difference in speed compared to a PII 400 mhtz cpu. Intel is ripping us off

CCj

Guest Big Time Software

Dar, hard to compare the PPC and Intel chips. But it would not be unfair to say that a 180 604e is about the speed of a 200Mhz Pentium (original 5). Sometimes more, sometimes less difference. REALLY hard to say. Also depends heavily on your computer's subsystems. Apple's tend to be top notch, while some PCs (like PacBell) often use whatever is cheapest. This can make two PCs with the same exact CPU perform different tasks with wide differences in speed. Usually the video card and hard disk are the two big bottlenecks on cheaper systems, but there are others.

Steve

Guest Lokesa

Fionn, I have the same system all the way down to the Banshee smile.gif

what monitor do you have?

mine is a Gem 17 inch.

overall it's been a great deal for the money.

only bad thing is the only cpu upgrade I could make before changing the motherboard wouldn't be worth it. Not really that big a deal though.

I use a simple 17 inch monitor too. Nothing spectacular...

Like I say CM works great on my system so you are well covered. I should have bought a Celeron 300A and over-clocked to 450 but I they were only just released the month I got my AMD :-(

"I should have bought a Celeron 300A and over-clocked to 450 but I they were only just released the month I got my AMD :-("

Lemme tell ya, $90 for a 450 mhz processor is a good deal. Celery is the gamer's budget helper.

DjB

ps special thanks to my brother-in-law for actually doing the install/overclocking.

alright, i just bought a G3 450 w/ 256 RAM and it came with a Rage128 16mb card. my monitor is a 15" Apple Flat-Panel.

btw: when comparing Intel CPU speeds to Apple i think a 200mhz 604e would be the same as a 233mhz Pentium and a 400Mhz G3 would be the same as a 500Mhz Pentium II or a 450mhz Pentium III, but again, it is hard to judge and it is not black and white at all.