ALLIED : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

And now fast forwards back again a few minutes to:

Movie 57, 0:14-0:13

On the left, Bil's push towards SMI via Hill 172 has been paused for the moment. One of his squads popped their head up for another look, only to go crawling back down again...

9053445965_43c0f8e556_b.jpg

Bil's Elefant and centre PzIVh made a largely futile effort to shell my guys on Hill 172 - they were not affected, having made it to the other side of the hill.

On Hill 153, Bill has pushed both the Brummbar and JgPz back into action, firing on SMI and the forces in the valley. The Bummbar took out a mortar unit that had got itself stuck (exhausted from panic) on my side of Hill 153.

9053446947_4b0e8c4b8e_b.jpg

Interesting, were the half track hit in the engine or the side? One would think an engine block enough to stop it going through all three, and a side hit just a hole to patch up and perhaps some infantry to scrape up as well!

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter where the hit was for the purposes of "through-and-through" hits. I've seen a lower front hull hit on a Stuart pass down the length of the vehicle, straight through the densest area of the engine compartment and kill lighter armour behind it. While the model takes energy off the projectile for the initial penetration, it doesn't seem to for interactions with internal components, nor the armour it exits through, if it kills the target it's passing through.

Movie 58, 0:13-0:12

Another action packed turn.

By far the most nailbiting thing to report is a dash around the left that I made with my M10. I realised that from halfway up the back of the slope of Hill 172, there's actually a view to the top of Hill 153, where Bil is operating his Brummbar and JgPz. If I could get there in time, and unmolested by the infantry that was infesting Hill 172, then I'd have a chance at a side or even a rear shot.

So I wizzed around, while bringing my own Hill 172 infantry over to try to help cover. These inf guys took out what is hopefully the last of Bil's men on Hill 172.

9074152379_dc9bbd196d_b.jpg

My goodness, what a view my M10 has, from the place where he arrived in the closing second of the turn:

9074150641_8048ae7852_b.jpg

In case it's not clear, this is a view of the side of the JgPz and behind it the side of the Brummbar.

There's only one problem with this picture. It's not what the M10 is currently seeing: he hasn't spotted these tanks yet (to be fair, he only just arrived at this spot).

Here is what the view looks like from over the lip of the M10 turret, with trees in the picture:

9074149459_fd34c28ca3_b.jpg

As you can see the M10 is not selected. As the next turn proceeds, it will be an agonising wait to see how long he takes to make out the tanks from the trees!

This was not the only JgPz action this turn ... at the commencement of the turn, there was this:

9074148261_50b68df419_b.jpg

This is the JzPz coming under fire from the MG bunker across the valley. Sadly, although there was a penetration, there were no red crosses. The JgPz appeared to be unaffected - it went on to fire at my nearby HMG that's been holding out on the side of Hill 153, before reversing back into view of my M10.

I was really pleased to see the MG bunker target the JgPz of it's own accord: it had been given area fire orders a bit further back at Bil's Hill 153 infantry, and it interrupted that process to take this shot!

The Brummbar finished of my HMG, and Bil has brought infantry forwards supporting these two tanks. I guess this means that the odds of my bazooka, hiding just a bit further down the slope, getting a go at a tank are fading. Still, he and his accompanying Tommy gun bearing friends will hold out here to the end ... it's all helping to stop Bil making it to the ultimate objective in time.

Over on the right hand side, it seems that Bil has calculated that he can't get his forces up from Tame direct to SMI while I have the M10 covering that route from rear of the map. So he has sent two tanks off back around the far side of Tame with an apparent mission to come up the back of the map and remove this obstacle. I don't know if he knows that I know ... I actually have an HQ unit that got stranded near Tame now hiding out down there (you can see on the map above): this is helping me keep tabs on this kind of change of tack from Bil.

GaJ

That's very encouraging. Even if the german armour spots you, it looks like it'll have to rotate hull to engage. Here's hoping the spotting Gods favour you, at least enough that you can fire before the TD does, just because it looks like you've got the drop, and that deserves a return.

Movie 58, 0:13-0:12

Another action packed turn.

This is the JzPz coming under fire from the MG bunker across the valley. Sadly, although there was a penetration, there were no red crosses.

GaJ

Pity you didn't get the commander with that volley. Now a really, really good MG team would be trying to aim straight down the barrel of that JgPz.

That's very encouraging. Even if the german armour spots you, it looks like it'll have to rotate hull to engage. Here's hoping the spotting Gods favour you, at least enough that you can fire before the TD does, just because it looks like you've got the drop, and that deserves a return.

Oh wow, awesome turn. We are rooting for your M10 and bunker MG. Nice bouncing rounds off the hatch there:) Did the commander at least button up after that.

I think the view through the trees looks pretty good I am hopeful the M10 will see those tanks and be able to engage. Nice thing is they would have to turn their hulls to engage you. Come on M10 crew - fire fast guys!

I was surprised by the 'penetration' on the Jpz from the mg fire. I'd almost swear it was a penetration on the open vertical commander's hatch! Which means the commander received a haircut by that incoming round. :D

Well the hit text shows a 'penetration' on the 'open(ing)' asset of the vehicle.... :D

MikeyD,

Players have reported bullet splash into turret/hull of several AFVs via open hatch. Can we trust the apparent impact point (any optic there?), or is it more the centroid of the pattern? Since the Jagdpanzer IV was penetrated, but no one got hit, I feel required to observe that Bil really dodged the bullet here!

Regards,

John Kettler