AXIS : Gustav Line BETA AAR Round Two - Eye of the Elefant

Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory.

George S. Patton

It's on. GaJ and myself will be playing another battle, this time an attack with some special pieces of equipment.

I will be attacking on a beauty of a map. Sound interesting? If so stay tuned!

Some goddamn fool once said that flanks have got to be secure. Since then sonofabitches all over the globe have been guarding their flanks. I don't agree with that. My flanks are something for the enemy to worry about, not me. Before he finds out where my flanks are, I'll be cutting the bastard's throat.

George S. Patton

I just found out that one of the the two surviving Elefants (this example captured at Anzio) is located about 30 minutes from me (Ft. Lee Virginia). In fact I did not realize that the Army is moving the entire Army Ordnance Museum from Aberdeen to Ft. Lee.. sweet. I have fond memories of visiting that museum in the 80s.

A field trip is in order I do believe.

The Elefant looks like it will be formidable and almost indestructible from the front. This is from Wikipedia:

"Reputed to be able to knock out a T-34 at a range of over 3 miles with its 88mm Pak43/2 L/71, it was a strong opponent for the Allies. Although effective at destroying Soviet tanks, they performed quite poorly in other respects. In its original configuration, the Ferdinand lacked a machine gun as secondary armament, making it vulnerable to attack by infantry. While this was a disadvantage, most combat losses were from mine damage and mechanical failure. Within four days nearly half of the vehicles were out of service, mostly due to technical problems and mine damage to tracks and suspension. Combat losses to enemy action were very low as the very thick armor protected the Ferdinand from almost all Soviet antitank weaponry; in fact, most of the vehicles destroyed or captured had been abandoned by their crews after mechanical failure."

Too bad mechanical failure isn't modeled... this tank could seriously unbalance a scenario.. that is why I will only be taking one, so everyone can see it in action but hopefully not make it impossible for GaJ to potentially win.

Bet he buys an aircraft.. that would about even the score.

Shame in reality it could loose a track if the driver attempted anything more than a mild turn, even on roads! Always like the shape of it, especially if accompanied by a Sturmpanzer IV, roll on BF Kursk.

Will be checking in to see the carefully plotted mayhem, watch out for those pesky tank hunters, and can he buy mines? Elephants seem to attract them!