Burning AFVs

I thought about this before now also. However I suppose since black smoke actually fades rather than just stops, this might perhaps explain the reason. Providing a more realistic look requires an amended animation sequence to the current loop. I expect it will get addressed soon enough but it may also form part of the broader area of damage modelling such as burned out hulls, broken tracks, displaced side skirts etc...All part of the same box of tricks so my guess is they will all get worked on together at some point.

Would this be the place to ask BF for more 3D "map clutter" - burned out hulks of tanks, armoured cars, cars, trucks etc. War detritus as it were.

It would be up to the map makers to place it, but it would add immersion and if our graphics cards can render smoke, I can't see a couple of extra objects killing one's system.

Problem with the idea of stopping the graphic depiction of a burning AFV after 5 minutes is that IRL AFVs will burn for much longer than this, and the burn has an actual tactical effect -- the smoke column blocks LOS.

Since the the performance hit from rendering the smoke columns will become less and less of an issue as computers and especially graphics cards get faster, it's a good guess that BFC will just leave this as is and the issue will eventually become less and less important for most players.

I would hate to lose the smoke. +1 to Baneman's suggestion. More eye candy clutter would be great. Dead cattle, wrecks, crashed aircraft...

It would make the wonderful terrain graphics even more interesting as one's forward units round a road bend or walk through woods and come across such things...

I think the CM battlefield suffers from too little smoke rather than too much. There is a hotkey toggle -- IIRC it is Alt-K -- that will turn off smoke if you computer is bogging. I have personally never noticed smoke making any difference in performance.

Never had a problem with burning vehicles slowing down my computer but then I don't play the large scenarios. One thing that concerns me though is when BFC puts fire in game. A large spreading fire could cause quite a lot of smoke. I hope it doesn't affect frame rate too much.

Would this be the place to ask BF for more 3D "map clutter" - burned out hulks of tanks, armoured cars, cars, trucks etc. War detritus as it were.

It would be up to the map makers to place it, but it would add immersion and if our graphics cards can render smoke, I can't see a couple of extra objects killing one's system.

Scenario designers can pre-position all the burnt out vehicles they wanted, or, still burning, or disabled etc.

I see what you are getting at tho, the raw map itself as an object

Scenario designers can pre-position all the burnt out vehicles they wanted, or, still burning, or disabled etc.

'Tis true, but they don't look wrecked. They're just the normal model with open hatches, a droopy main gun and smoke and flames "pouring" out. It'd be nice for there to be flavour objects which show rather more catastrophic effects, even if those effects can't be displayed on "live" (or formerly so) wrecks generated during the fight.

The fog in CMx2 is very thin, not really comparable to a forest fire. Well, maybe if you're a hundred miles downwind of the fire ;)

Truth! This one ran me out of my home for four days back in '07. As the video shows, there were times when the smoke blacked out the sun.

I don't think the fog setting would do it. Not unless BFC comes up with a thicker fog like was in CM1.

In any event, CM probably should have a very thick fog setting available anyway. I recall driving through Topanga Canyon one night and not being able to see farther than the next stripe in the road. I understand that London can have even thicker fogs.

Michael

You can of course turn the smoke option off.

I would like to see burning buildings as, if I remember correctly you could in the original CM.

Regarding mist/fog and for that matter weather in general this is one feature I have never been happy with from a visual perspective. Would like to see this improved but made adjustable to suit the varying quality of graphics cards.