AoC versus War in the East

I really like SC due to the global aspect of the game. And I REALLY liked the BF scenerio :)

So my question is why AoC and not WitE? While AoC has research that WitE does not, that does not seem to make AoC a compelling purchase. So I just wanted to see what others opinions here were about it.

Thanks.

WitE is a monster game like their War in the Pacific (same programmer). If you want a super detail, division/brigade leve, time consuming, and massive complexity game then get WitE. Its pretty masterful and I love the programmer. But like their War in the Pacific its just too overwhelming and time consuming for me to play. The cost is $80.

AoC is the next elegent step down. Its a large map but not overwhelming. It fights on a corp/division level which makes it playable and fun. The strategy for the game is more like playing poker. The SC2 game system is easy to learn where a novice player could, in a fair amount of time, be skilled with the game. Also its going to be less than 1/2 the price than WitE.

The beta testers and myself have played tons of games while testing AoC. I put a lot of thought into the feel and the scale of the game to make it fun and unique to the other games out there about the eastern front. Most are corp level games where AoC is corp/division. I feel this scale is the perfect scale most wargamers like. The best and most successful grand strategy WW2 board game is World In Flames which is corp/division.

There is always a certain healthy level of anxiety when playing AoC and so far we havent found the end to the different strategies both sides have.

So if you absolutely love WitE and have the time to devote to it, thats your game. If you are like most wargamers then AoC is your game.

If you liked Brute Force, you will like AoD. I wrote both scenarios.

As I am playing WitP AE as Japan in a PBEM game, obviously complexity is not an issue lol.

Actually WitE is Div/Reg and scale is 10 miles/hex. So roughly 2x the size of AoCs map. Corps are actual HQ units versus combat units like AoC seems to be. So I assume HQ units in AoC would Army/AG HQs?

As a sucker for turn based games :) I'll probably end up with AoC or I may pass and get AoD instead as the Western area of WWII is not well represented. Most likely since 80% of the ETO was in the East. Plus not a lot to do land wise from 1940-late 43/early 44.

Well check out the other alternative scenarios in AoD.

AoC is ~15m per hex

AoD scenarios like Flatiron (NW Europe retaking of UK) and Brillance (SW Europe retaking of the med) are ~20m per hex

AoD Hermes (Egypt to middle East) is ~15m per hex.

I dont try and make boring scenarios just to fill in stuff. I try and make them all interesting. I feel if there is a healthly level of anxiety the game is good.

Wait for the reviews for AoD then you can decide. The WaW is about the scale of BF1939 (BF slightly larger Europe, and smaller Pacific).

And I have had enough requests to do Brute Force Ultimate.... Europe 20m per hex, Pacific 40m per hex. Im going to use the Storm Over Europe map and the Pacific from WaW to combine them together.

Which is why the initial release will be without an AI :(. However, it is promised that there will be an AI developed and provided as a free patch.

I plan on buying it anyway simply because I always wanted to learn the game but do not have the space/time/freinds/etc. to play the physical version :(

When was this? I told these programmer literally years ago to release without A.I.

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets Dated 2/10/2013 post 3192 from the When thread at http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=910849&mpage=107

An AI Opponent and the ability to play by email (PBEM) are both part of my contract, so they will be done. But neither will be part of the initial release.

So here is the source from the horse's mouth :)

I told them the same thing too a few years ago lol. After all Decision Games did that with War in Europe (which really works well bty. I played it with a freind of mine by email and was much easier to play than the board version which I played as well) and it sold ok. After all we bought two copies lol.

With ADG and Matrix behind the computer version of WiF it should sell even better than WiE :)

• 3 weeks later...