mountains and tanks Gustav Line

Looking at the steepness of some of the terrain i think the non excisting elevation restriction for tank guns will have to get more attantion soon.

I believe that's a necessary inconvenient abstraction because of the nature of the 3D terrain.. it is not as subtle as it would be in reality, thus some shortcuts have to be taken.

I don't know.. I'm fine with it as is, but I'm sure there could be some improvement.

Bil

;1430406']We only have the QB AAR to go by' date=' but the terrain looks way too tank friendly. I don´t think that WWII era tanks could really roll up such broken terrain the way this is depicted in the game.[/quote']

That is a mapmaker decision.. terrain can always be made impassable to tanks by one means or another... but I think you'd be surprised at some of the terrain tanks can actually move over and into. What needs a face lift IMO is the bogging chances whenever a tank is taken into wooded, steep, or just plain nasty terrain, especially on the faster movement settings.

Bil

The map does seem very tank oriented. Lots of open room and doesn't seem to be a lot of apparent cover =/

Can I ask, have both of you noticed your troops being spotted easily moving at range? Or are you still finding cover somehow? I'm reading your AARs and I cant go into specifics, and neither can you so for now a yes or no and very abstract answers of course.

Whats the other GL terrain like? Is it hugely varied because the timeframe, and nature of Italy? I ask because Sicily had a pretty uniform feel to me as opposed to Normandy. I know people will disagree citing Bocage, but they always seem to forget the terrain after St Lo, and in the British/Canadian sectors. This was part of the turn off to me with Sicily. There were exceptions but I felt most of the terrain was just very open and hilly. It favored tanks, and in a time where organic infantry AT is relatively weak, in the worst possible terrain to close assault tanks. It's not all bad I suppose, it is what it is, but I just prefer Normandy. I'm getting GL regardless, but I hope I'm looking forward to more varied scenery in the Med.

Can I ask, have both of you noticed your troops being spotted easily moving at range? Or are you still finding cover somehow?

I think that both of us have used terrain masking to maneuver.. I can catch glimpses of his forces, and I'm sure he has glimpses of mine. So yes I think there is enough cover to maneuver.. what's hard is to maneuver without giving your intentions away.

Bil