Lets hear about the greatest tactical game ever

I used to play Theatre of War and I think is a quiet good game.I got lots of fun.A bit similar to CM but RT only and with many interesting details about armoured vehicles and a very good damage modeling.Anyway,I prefer CM series.

I played the original game with a patch.It has the French and Polish campaign that are not usually represented in many other games like this(what about to introduce them in the CM series?).I don't know about the rest of the releases (ToW 2,3...),they said that were improved but I found the hardware requirements were so high and I prefer to stick with the CM games now.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Certainly love the CMxx series--the closest thing to having ASL come to life--but there are many, many old classics I'd love to see revisited and updated.

I loved playing "Red Storm Rising" on the ol' C-64, blowing up all kinds of Soviet surface ships and subs.

Harpoon was a great modern naval sim too.

Microprose classics:

M-1 Tank Platoon

Silent Service (WWII Pacific sub war)

AH-64 Apache simlulator (I forget the game name)

B-17 Flying Fortress -- Gawd, I loved targeting marshalling yards through the Norden then switching to target view to watch the yard get plastered...

Task Force 1942 (naval engagements around Guadalcanal) -- flares, torpedo runs, filling up Iron Bottom Sound

One day at college, I was passing time by looking up information about German halftracks.
I had to laugh upon reading that, as I recall many hours of blissful diversion in the library stacks reading about Kampfgruppe Peiper and the fighting in the Ardennes when I should have been focusing on material more directly related to my thesis!

I stumbled onto Beyond Overlord via the more unconventional route of the tactical shooters of the period: Rainbow Six: Rogue Spear, SWAT 3 and the original Ghost Recon. Like most of you, I have always been drawn to games that have a go at presenting as much fidelity to the real world as the developers can muster. Combat Mission opened up the possibility to experience admirable levels of realism well beyond the fireteam without getting into the impersonal abstractions operational level games dissolve into. Once I got a taste of faithful reproductions of platoon and company level combined arms actions I was hopelessly snagged.

I'm not sure I qualify as a "Gamer" given that CMBN is the only title I own, but if there is another piece of software out there that even comes close to what BFC delivers I certainly am not aware of it. This is to say nothing of the generously gifted modding circle and helpful online community that adds other facets of appeal to the experience.

To that end, I wish BFC nothing but continued success and I hope Combat Mission is a labor of love. What's more, I eagerly look forward to them resurrecting the long dead squad-based shooter genre!;)

Started with AH's Afrika Korps and got deep into gaming. First computer was a C64 and played (SSI's or SSL's) Battle of the Bulge for hours. I could even plug it into my TV and view it on a larger screen.

I love CM but I do miss being able to stand back and look down upon the entire map, especially those maps that took up a whole table or two, Fire on the Volga, The Longest Day. But setting those games up took hours.

I went through the more mainstream RTS Games (Comand & Conquer, Starcraft) before I quit the kids play and started off into serious wargaming.

It all began with Close Combat 3. Loved it. Close Combat 2 was very cool, too. The only mainstream RTS that kept a place in my shelf is Total Anihilation - very, very intense all-out mass engagements. If you want to get an idea of 'Materialschlacht' there you go!

Back to Close Combat: I tried a re-worked version of CC3 made by Matrix Games but felt I was ripped off. Awful stuff! Tons of mods wich seemed like they were made by the community incorporated into the game, without solving its major issues. Ever since that experience I don't trust these fellows, and it seems justified. For the latest release of Close Combat (a 15 year old 2D engine!!!) they charge you a minimum of 33 Euro or 43 Dollar!

And who else is there, dedicated to create realistic tactical wargames?! No one AFIAK!

CMx2 is the best out there!

OFF TOPIC:

The best thing ever is my toto washlet.

http://www.totousa.com/WhyTOTO/Innovation/Washlet.aspx

Waking up on a cold morning, strolling into the bathroom and sitting on a WARMED seat, which then washes your butt with WARM water and then blow dries with WARM air. The first thing I found in Japan and thought "these people are on to something."

Oh wait we were talking about tactical gaming...sorry.

Quote from the advertising webpage:

At your command, Washlet extends an integrated wand to release a warm,

soothing stream of aerated water to provide the ultimate in personal

cleansing. But this is not a conventional bidet; the wand self-washes and

retracts after each use.

Those fruity booooys is all I say.*rofl so hard*

Nice one, sburke. :D :cool:

Olf

Born 1964

Boardgames in High School, a friend had "Harpoon", popular in 82 was doing the Falkland Islands conflict with the forces that game had. Did some other friend's Avalon Hill board games, something about the Eastern Front at Army or Corps level. SS Panzer Corps was a black counter with high values, but don't get slowed or stuck in the Pripet marshes.

Got married in 89, played a bunch of solotaire boardgames. Ambush, Purple Heart, Silver Star? Got a computer in 94 to play Avalon Hill Operation Crusader, Stalingrad, V for Valor series, Velie Keluki or something like that. They always had nice box art.

then got CC1, was that by Atomic Games? CC bulge, etc. Steel Panthers. Some crappy game called Cross of Iron. Finally saw CMBO and bought all of that series. I did play some of the Squad battle series, Dien Bien Phu, Korea. Some other panzer campaign Bulge?

Yep, CMBN, CMFI (CMX2) series is the best out there. Thanks BTS..

One thing I miss from CC was scavenging. My little ant soldier would pick up an enemy weapon and keep on cranking. I know this has been hashed over before but I would love to see it again.

The Gamers' 'Omaha: the Bloody Beach' and 'Objective: Schmidt'.

Frickin' HUGE games, with a sh*tload of counters and a whole lot of work moving them around. Great fun, though.

If you ever want to ruin your enjoyment of boardgames like these, get yourself a cat, like I did back in '92... Never played them again since.

You really need to check out Zvezda´s board - figure game Art of Tactic, Operation Barbarossa, with expansions Battle for Danube and Blitzkrieg 1940, more expansions will be released this year, Battle of Moscow. It has a very good game system, and exellent models. A very good game.

You really need to check out Zvezda´s board - figure game Art of Tactic, Operation Barbarossa, with expansions Battle for Danube and Blitzkrieg 1940, more expansions will be released this year, Battle of Moscow. It has a very good game system, and exellent models. A very good game.

Could you provide the URL for that? Thanks.

And of course PanzerBlitz and sequels. :)

I agree. The impact of PB as a tactical game was immense. Granted there were many totally unrealistic aspects, but the sight of enemy 'destroyed' counters littering the map was soooooo gratifying.

it took on an added dimension when we set up duplicate boards and a referee who only let you see enemy units that were in LOS.

The best thing ever is my toto washlet.

http://www.totousa.com/WhyTOTO/Innovation/Washlet.aspx

Waking up on a cold morning, strolling into the bathroom and sitting on a WARMED seat, which then washes your butt with WARM water and then blow dries with WARM air. The first thing I found in Japan and thought "these people are on to something."

Oh wait we were talking about tactical gaming...sorry.

I am so glad I found CM before Toto Washlet found me. I mean, there's only so many hours in the day...