Documenting uniform model/texture problems

Steve, I hope I'm not being dense but...something is not right here. I just took a look at a formation of StuGs in CMBN. Both crew models are rendered with the red waffenfarbe on the caps and shirts. No problem at all there, it looks good.

Then, I loaded up CMFI and again chose a StuG formation. The StuG crews there are not using the assault gun uniforms w/red Waffenfarbe. The caps and uniforms here sport the pink panzer waffenfarbe. This, in spite of the fact that of course there are separate assault gun red waffenfarbe uniform textures.

And just to be doubly clear, I'm not using any texture mods of any sort. All is 100% stock.

All StuG crews on Sicily were in Panzer units.

Thanks for the details Rambler. I think I know what the problem is so it should be easy to fix.

Glad AKD straightened you out LukeFF. This is the Normandy Forum so only Normandy issues should be presented in this thread. Sometimes a fix for one is needed for the other as well, but often times the two are operating independently of each other for one reason or another.

Plus, as I keep stressing... the Waffenfarbe is irrelevant because it will be wrong some of the times, for sure. What should never be wrong is the base color of the uniform. There should never be black uniforms in a vehicle like a StuG, never a gray uniform in something like a Tiger. If someone spots things being the wrong way round, definitely note it here. Though I think I've culled those problems out pretty well over time.

Steve

Having recently upgraded to V2.1 I am in awe of BF over the improvements, dedication and attention to detail. I have an observation about the bmp for CW afv crews (Sextons and Priests)–smod_british_m37_vehicle_uniform. This bmp now (correctly imho) has them wearing battledress as they were gunners not tankers. On a detail point they usually did not wear much webbing so just a waist belt would be more accurate, just like you have done for the US equivalent crews – smod_american_m41_vehicle_uniform. However the Achilles and Wolverine crews were also gunners but they are still wearing tanker coveralls-smod_british_coveralls_uniform. I also notice that armoured car crews (Humbers, Staghounds etc) are still classified as afv crews for bmp purposes but they would have been in a cavalry regiment and thus more likely to be wearing coveralls, although not always. In action – source my father-in law who was a Sexton troop commander at El Alamein and fought in Sicily until wounded – all crews in open topped afvs wore a steel helmet, not a beret, for obvious reasons except possibly the driver who might be closed down. The steel helmet would have been a Mk2, Mk3 (not issued in N Africa/ Italy) or the RAC/para type helmet or in Normandy a combo of all three. In action in Normandy many CW tank and armoured car crews also tended to wear the RAC/para helmet especially the commanders. I know there are many photos of WW2 beret wearing Brit tankers but these were mainly taken out of action when a beret would been worn. If BF does get around to V3.0 or further V2 patches could it look at adding some variety into the CW afv/tanker crews bmps - both uniforms and head gear? You have done this for US and German crews, so why not the CW lot?

Wandering slightly off-topic (apologies) could the next patch/upgrade “enable” the CW and German afv gear bmps – boxes, sandbags etc. Other posters have pointed out that they only seem to appear on US vehicles – same experience for me.

None of the above are vital to the enjoyment of the game and no doubt some of the modders out there could make some of the above happen if they were interested.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I've noticed that a number of uniform files (if I'm reading it right) don't have an associated normal map:

smod_german_ss_smock_soldier_nco_uniform

smod_german_ss_smock_soldier_nco_uniform_jack_boots

smod_german_ss_wrap_armd-eng_uniform 2

smod_german_ss_wrap_armd-eng-nco_uniform

Or are these (and many others) sharing normal map files with other uniforms? I didn't want to list them all here, if it turns out that's the case. :D

Not sure if this the correct thread for my question but I am certain I will be told so if not . . .

Anyway, I'm looking for a little help trying to tweak some CMBN version1 USA infantry uniform mods to work in CMBN version2 . I am able to successfully update mjk's ez_usa_patched_uniform mods from CMBN v1 to CMBN v2. I can get the game to load the KHAKI and OLIVE DRAB versions for all the uniforms and helmets of the following units:

....... 1st Infantry Division ("Big Red One")

....... 2nd Ranger Battalion (this one is "vein's" USA ranger uniform mod)

....... 2nd Infantry Division ("Indianhead")

....... 3rd Infantry Division ("Rock of the Marne")

....... 4th Infantry Division ("Ivy")

....... 5th Infantry Division ("Red Diamond")

....... 8th Infantry Division ("Pathfinder")

....... 9th Infantry Division ("Old Reliables")

....... 10th Mountain Division

....... 28th Infantry Division ("Keystone")

....... 29th Infantry Division ("'Blue and Gray")

....... 30th Infantry Division ("Old Hickory")

....... 34th Infantry Division (“Red Bull”)

....... 35th Infantry Division ("Santa Fe")

....... 36th Infantry Division ("Arrowhead"), also known as the Texas Division

....... 45th Infantry Division ("Thunderbird")

....... 79th Infantry Division ("Cross of Lorraine")

....... 83rd Infantry Division ("Thunderbolt")

....... 85th Infantry Division ("Custer")

....... 88th Infantry Division ("Blue Devils") sometimes called "Clover Leaf" Division.

....... 90th Infantry Division ("Tough 'Ombres")

....... 91st Infantry Division ("Powder River") variously nicknamed as the "Pine Tree Division" or "Wild West Division"

I fail to get the game to load the "skins" (faces and hands) for these three (3) non-caucasian units:

....... 92nd Infantry Division ("Buffalo Soldiers")

....... 100th Infantry Battalian ("Nisei" of the 34th ID)

....... 442nd Regimental Combat Team ("Nisei" of the 92nd ID)

In effect, I'm able to load modifications for the two (2) "smod_american_helmet-soldier" helmets and all four (4) "smod_american_m41_uniform" files. I can't figure out why the game does not load the modification for the fourteen (14) "american_skin" files.

Here's the process I'm using.

1) Create one (1) folder for all the mods specific to a line infantry unit. "zUnitName (version2 compatible"

2) Within that folder, load the following files"

- american_skin 1.bmp

- american_skin 2.bmp

- american_skin 3.bmp

- american_skin 4.bmp

- american_skin 5.bmp

- american_skin 6.bmp

- american_skin 7.bmp

- american_skin 8.bmp

- american_skin 9.bmp

- american_skin 10.bmp

- american_skin 11.bmp

- american_skin 12.bmp

- american_skin 13.bmp

- american_skin 14.bmp

- smod_american_helmet-soldier.bmp

- smod_american_helmet-soldier 2.bmp

- smod_american_m41_uniform.bmp

- smod_american_m41_uniform 1.bmp

- smod_american_m41_uniform 2.bmp

- smod_american_m41_uniform 3.bmp

3) Create a "Z" folder in my "Data" directory

4) Copy the "zUnitName (version2 compatible)" folder & contents as the single [as in only & just one (1)] mod file into that "Z" folder

When I test using CMBN version 2.1, all the "smod" files work but none of the "american_skin" files take. I'm using the "Platoon Patrol" scenario to test; basically I reload the same saved game of a full USA platoon with MG's and Mortars and eyeball all the pixeltruppen ready for duty.

Any suggestions from the enlightened to a bonehead? Appreciate whatever help I can get. Thank you!

Because the correct thread is . . . ?

I think he meant that this thread was to document incorrect uniforms showing up in games, but as a fellow Wisconsinite, it's close enough for me to answer your question.:) (I responded to your PM, but that was before I looked into the american_skin issue.)

Well, I got it to work, Badger. Besides renaming the skins just like you did, I matched up the normal maps to each face and added them into my Nisei uniform mod folder, and plopped that folder into my Data/z folder. I wouldn't think just adding the normal maps would do anything special, since the mod doesn't override or otherwise affect the ones that that are in the base game folder.

You want me to shoot my file to you by Dropbox?

I think he meant that this thread was to document incorrect uniforms showing up in games, but as a fellow Wisconsinite, it's close enough for me to answer your question.:) (I responded to your PM, but that was before I looked into the american_skin issue.)

Well, I got it to work, Badger. Besides renaming the skins just like you did, I matched up the normal maps to each face and added them into my Nisei uniform mod folder, and plopped that folder into my Data/z folder. I wouldn't think just adding the normal maps would do anything special, since the mod doesn't override or otherwise affect the ones that that are in the base game folder.

You want me to shoot my file to you by Dropbox?

I think you're telling me to add the "american_skin #_normal map.bmp" for each face to the mod folder as well, correct? Let me try what you suggest first before asking you to dropbox. Thanks!

I think you're telling me to add the "american_skin #_normal map.bmp" for each face to the mod folder as well, correct? Let me try what you suggest first before asking you to dropbox. Thanks!

Yes, that's it. Btw, I only did it for the Asian faces for 100th and 442nd.

Yes, that's it. Btw, I only did it for the Asian faces for 100th and 442nd.

@mjkerner,

I'm using the 92nd ID and can't make it work. Then tried the 442nd and failed there too. I will PM you to arrange DropBox. Thanks for all your help.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

@LukeFF: I believe that part of the texture is to resemble elasticated cuffs.

@Steppenwulf: I'm pretty sure that 'smod_american_m41_uniform.bmp' is classed as '1' and then numbers continue as normal: 'smod_american_m41_uniform 2.bmp', 'smod_american_m41_uniform 3.bmp' etc.

@Steppenwulf: I'm pretty sure that 'smod_american_m41_uniform.bmp' is classed as '1' and then numbers continue as normal: 'smod_american_m41_uniform 2.bmp', 'smod_american_m41_uniform 3.bmp' etc.

Thanks for replying to my post. I concur with that analysis but that begs the question why is the entire sequence contained in the stock files - normals included. And all community uniform mods have a complete sequence too - has noone picked up on this??

And then, equally, can we be absolutely sure that this is perculiar to the m41 uniform. I do know there is a similar issue with one or two of the german vehicle textures but beyond that I haven't tested with any other textures so I don't know, I'm just posing the question?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

CMFI, Fallschirmjaeger Infantry Battalion (any year):

Troops armed with the FG42, G43, or M38 do not carry any sort of ammo pouch on their belt or ammo bandolier (which apparently was common with the FG42) around their neck.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello, I've found a strange anomaly while playing the scenario called the main event. The Commander of the 11th company Hq, Panzer grenadier(armored) is wearing a boot as a uniform with the sole of the boot on his back. This bugs me to no end, I've tried everything to change it. What else can I do?

Best Regards, Ernest

Hello, I've found a strange anomaly while playing the scenario called the main event. The Commander of the 11th company Hq, Panzer grenadier(armored) is wearing a boot as a uniform with the sole of the boot on his back. This bugs me to no end, I've tried everything to change it. What else can I do?

Best Regards, Ernest

That is the same problem as veins pic above. Is it possible you are playing a game that was saved before you upgraded to a later version, then continued on with the same save?