Incredible Footage

Syria's "Stalingrad"?

Wicky, "All-in-all quite harrowing to watch, especially when a tank gun barrel points directly at the camera …" A tank gun barrel should get your attention if you plan to survive. I had a similar gut reaction.

I was surprised at how much tank gun barrel swinging was happening in such confined space and the lack of any visible infantry support.

I am using Aris Dust & Smoke, Flames, HD Explosion, Tank Muzzle Fire and Muzzle Fire Tracers in CMSF MAC. They are great at enhancing the game experience.

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You missed my point entirely. In many of those LONG static takes in the "incredible footage" clip the camera never moves, and you can tell from the foreshortening in the images that the camera is using a very long focal length lens.

It makes sense that the camera is a) far from the action so even when the tank gun aims at the camera, the gunner doesn't appear to see it, and B) the camera(man) doesn't move or duck to safety (cos it's on a fixed tripod and he is sensibly controlling it remotely).

If one was planning this sort of shot, that's the way to do it safely. (Yes, I used to be in the movie biz.)

Obviously. there are also handheld shots taken from a high angle very close and right above the tanks that are way more dangerous to shoot.

I wonder if the tanks can't elevate their guns enuff to shoot up there. Same issue the Soviets had in Afghanistan... until they brought in AA and Shilkas.

Wow. As a whole, the most amazing footage collection.

Shows how useless tanks are in urban environment. I kept flashing back to Daleks in Dr. Who.

And what on earth were they trying to achieve without infantry?

This scumbags burn just one T-72, not good result. I think tanks need to use in urban fight, but with more infantry support, I don't saw any infantry support very strange. And in final when one T-72 was burned, others don't change positions, they just stay and watch, strange.

Anyway - Vive la Asad, Islamites go to hell!

P.S. Best scene - when operator filmed tank from high floor, looks like in "Save pvt Ryan", but better if tank shot in high floor not in lower, and operator say "Run!"))))))

And I think this logic above also applies to the WWII games. For example, I don't think that a Pz-30k should under the same confined space usage restrictions as a Pz-100. The propellant charge for the latter was over three times larger. Hopefully, we'll see some refinements in both game families in these areas sooner rather than later.

The restriction is based off what would reliably injure or kill a man so it stands to reason it would be binary.

I was surprised at how much tank gun barrel swinging was happening in such confined space and the lack of any visible infantry support.

I think tanks need to use in urban fight, but with more infantry support, I don't saw any infantry support very strange.

IRL, people don't stay exposed to enemy LoS (and therefore, fire) unless they absolutely have to. It is also much, much more difficult to spot men moving around inside of buildings IRL than in CMSF unless they are cramming their faces through windows, jumping up and down and waving a white cloth.

The FSA would probably be better off targetting the BMPs most of the time-they don't sport ERA and are obviously important for re-supplying/reinforcing/casevacing the infantry. A steady flow of KO'd BMPs could disrupt the infantry's houseclearing operations/make it more difficult for them to hold cleared areas. The T-72s were doing their best to keep the BMPs sandwiched between them most of the time but there were plenty of occasssions when the BMPs were exposed.

I had the impression they set up cameras on fixed mounts at extreme zoom focal lengths and operated them remotely - so somewhat safer for the operators.

Yes they did in the long video. The shorter version with 2 tanks firing at the building that the hand held operator was filming from the upper window & "praying" was a bit risky. Great footage but if the tanks can elevate their guns that high no footage!

Can someone translate? I couldn't figure out what a Russian journalist was doing there. Fixed cameras on AFV's? (Great idea btw, why don't our allied forces have that?) And what on earth are they shooting at. I wondered if it was some training town in Russia(??) Didin't see any ID on any AFV's - like the little syrian flags they have in the CMSF game.

Truly amazing footage. But, hard to figure out what is going on. When one of the tanks is hit - not sure if it has a camera - it seems to just sit there taking hits for ages before moving away. And the dust clouds every time a tank fires... seems to gve cover for inf to walk up and plant a bomb on a tank. There could be thousands of troops in those bombed out buildings. What can the tanks do about it?

Great war footage and an eye-opener re urban combat with armor. Seems futile...

Can someone translate? I couldn't figure out what a Russian journalist was doing there. Fixed cameras on AFV's? (Great idea btw, why don't our allied forces have that?) And what on earth are they shooting at. I wondered if it was some training town in Russia(??) Didin't see any ID on any AFV's - like the little syrian flags they have in the CMSF game.

Truly amazing footage. But, hard to figure out what is going on. When one of the tanks is hit - not sure if it has a camera - it seems to just sit there taking hits for ages before moving away. And the dust clouds every time a tank fires... seems to gve cover for inf to walk up and plant a bomb on a tank. There could be thousands of troops in those bombed out buildings. What can the tanks do about it?

Great war footage and an eye-opener re urban combat with armor. Seems futile...

What video you want to translate?

Remeber the vid with the 2 tanks firing at a building and the cameraman inside keeps filming? Here s another one that shows the perspective from the wrong side of the barrel:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBmHikZroo

Two RGP hits on an SAA tank in slow motion (you can see the projectile):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCBXhu1IA5o

Remeber the vid with the 2 tanks firing at a building and the cameraman inside keeps filming? Here s another one that shows the perspective from the wrong side of the barrel:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJBmHikZroo

Looks like advertising of Russian tanks)))))))))) Abrams sucks)))

You can see the Tc throw what appears to be a smoke grenade after the first impact (at around 00:25 seconds). I'm not sure there are two RPG hits in this though. One for sure but the second one appears to miss the tank completely and the smoke you see is the smoke from the smoke grenade?