2 Probable Bugs I've addressed before..

Jon I know you can select surrendering units, I was referencing the idea someone had about making surrendering units unselectable. I think it would be a good idea to do this

Yes, I understand that. But do you understand that a single squad can, at the same time, have some men that are actively engaging the enemy and some that are hands-in-the-air and some that are white-flag?

If there are - or could be - men in that squad ready and able to respond to orders, why should I be prevented from selecting that unit by those who are trying to surrender?

I assume he means if all men of the unit are surrendering.

I am not sure what it would take for BF to code a situation for a unit to not pass spotting info while not having actually surrendered. The real issue is to force their surrender you have to establish battlefield control around them and if the situation is still too fluid that you can't, as c3k pointed out they may yet be retrieved by their own side.

I have a fight going on with vKleist at the moment and he has a guy just on the other side of a hedgerow. He has his hands in the air but other units close enough he won't surrender. So in effect he is now a spy more useful to vKleist than if he was actually firing. I can't kill him and he keeps providing at least some intel. The only choice I have is to drive vKleist's forces further away until this guy gives it up. Yes it is annoying, but I imagine the guy doesn't want to fight but is screaming to his buddies. That in itself is intel of a sort that my guys are there, though how much intel he is providing I do not know.

Yes I do mean if all men are surrendering - or in the case that accounts for 70-80% of surrenders - being the last man in a squad, then surrendering. I just don't understand why they would in that situation give LoS is all.

The situation Sburke describes is similar to the situation that started this thread -I had a last survivor of a scout team surrender in a small house in Maltot. At that point he was giving LoS on an enemy attack overrunning the village for the next 3-4 minutes before a counterattack captured him back. During this though, my opponent had a schreck team behind the building, and I could see other units running about, but the guy surrendering wasn't flagged.

Yes I know that individual soldiers in squads can surrender. I've seen this too, and I dont mind they provide los because they're always around other troops. Plus the first surrender usually triggers more and they usually don't last long.

Not strictly true - just tested this. Parked a jeep in enemy territory, dismounted the driver and had him wander off into the bushes. Walked a German patrol up to it. No sight nor sound of the German patrol until I see a hand grenade tumble to the ground and KO the jeep. Perhaps in your case the jeep as well as having a driver also had passengers - dismount the passengers but the driver is still in the vehicle radioing back info?

As is and based on the above test an unmanned jeep does not work as some sort of intelligence drone.

No the driver was not still in the jeep. And I am sure I have seen it happen more than once. But the game I remember well. The crew had left the jeep, was then in a firefight and retreated to some woods a few hundred yards away with nothing else near them. The jeep had been parked behind a bocage and for approx. twenty turns I was able to see halftracks and tanks that were moving down the road on the other side of the bocage before finially one of his units spotted the jeep and blew it away. I then immediately was not able to see anything in the area.

As for reproducing it, not sure what to say. But I sure dont have a saved file of it.

No the driver was not still in the jeep. And I am sure I have seen it happen more than once. But the game I remember well. The crew had left the jeep, was then in a firefight and retreated to some woods a few hundred yards away with nothing else near them. The jeep had been parked behind a bocage and for approx. twenty turns I was able to see halftracks and tanks that were moving down the road on the other side of the bocage before finially one of his units spotted the jeep and blew it away. I then immediately was not able to see anything in the area.

As for reproducing it, not sure what to say. But I sure dont have a saved file of it.

I'm sorry sly, but you are imagining things. I just tested it and I can say with 100% certainty that a dismounted jeep won't spot a thing. Here is how you can test it before you go too far out on a limb and start to look foolish ;):

Go into the editor, take the default size map and put a tall wall across the bottom of the map about five squares up from the edge. Go into Allied purchase and buy a US infantry battalion then delete everything except for the command element. You should have two radio jeeps, a commander, and an XO. If you dismount one or the other you should end up with a dismounted radio jeep. Place the dismounted jeep on the other side of the wall then leave the commander, XO, and the other jeep on the back side of the wall (near the edge). Purchase whatever you want to purchase for the axis - I purchased an Italian engineer company. Select them and deploy them along the top map edge. Create an AI setup zone across the top of the map by using the three by three sized paint brush. Make sure all your Axis infantry are deployed in the setup zone. Go to AI plans and paint the Axis setup zone using the three by three paint brush across the top of the map. Set the AI to ambush at 150 meters so they won't fire. Save the scenario file and move it to your scenario folder. Play the scenario as the Allied attacker. Guess what? You spot nothing no matter how long you sit there.

Oh, I dont care about looking foolish.

And I dont go about making things up.

I know I have seen the bug in the game and I dont know if maybe its one of those type of bugs that show up just once in awhile, or maybe the latest patches have fixed it or what.

But I do know beyond any shadow of a doubt i have had it happen and more than once and no question as to it being the unit feeding the information to me. Since, I checked by clicking on units and it was the only one that showed the enemy units:)

People talking about this previously have said that mortars make a "fluttering" noise, rather than a the freight train shriek-whistle of gun-artillery, and to my recollection, all off-board fire uses the same .wav for while it's in flight.

I believe there are several sounds for incoming artillery in flight:

superlight

light

medium

heavy

superheavy

• 3 weeks later...
I assume he means if all men of the unit are surrendering.

I am not sure what it would take for BF to code a situation for a unit to not pass spotting info while not having actually surrendered. The real issue is to force their surrender you have to establish battlefield control around them and if the situation is still too fluid that you can't, as c3k pointed out they may yet be retrieved by their own side.

I have a fight going on with vKleist at the moment and he has a guy just on the other side of a hedgerow. He has his hands in the air but other units close enough he won't surrender. So in effect he is now a spy more useful to vKleist than if he was actually firing. I can't kill him and he keeps providing at least some intel. The only choice I have is to drive vKleist's forces further away until this guy gives it up. Yes it is annoying, but I imagine the guy doesn't want to fight but is screaming to his buddies. That in itself is intel of a sort that my guys are there, though how much intel he is providing I do not know.

So my eventual answer to this was to kill the damn guy. We have been in a bloody firefight for quite a while trying to push past this hedgerow and I just lost an entire squad slaughtered in the lane next to this fake surrender. So my pissed off pixeltruppen gunned him down (I area fired on his AS). So take me up on a virtual war crimes trial. He had his chance to surrender, he can't have it both ways.

NO, the problem is more than just prisoners. I can run a jeep with a crew into enemy territory. Jump out of the jeep, take my crew to go scout and find out enemy activity. But if I park the jeep in a good location, even though it is empty. it also continues to feed me information and line of sight info. to enemy activities until it is destroyed.

So there is some flaws in what provides info. to the player.

Hello slysniper, I noticed this also but it was with a Kubblewagon. It was a company headquarters and when I dismounted them there was no driver left in the vehicle, they all dismount on the same command and the vehicle still maintained line of sight. This was several days ago as I was working on a scenario. I've tried to duplicate it but haven't been able to so far but will keep trying.