Is Combat Mission Y2K compliant?

Guest Capt_Manieri

Guest Capt_Manieri

The computers that you mad Combat Mission are Y2K compliant, right? Because, let's assume a worse case scenario and on New Year's eveything (all data, all elements of the game) are gone. Do have anything to safeguard that?

Guest John Maragoudakis

Well it could be worse you know. That little game of last defence you are enjoying over a cold one could be real orders given to real troops by mistake. We might start WW3 by mistake.

Guest Big Time Software

You are kidding, right? I think you have been watching too much "news" on TV. CM could care less if it is 1999, 2000, or 1654. This is true for probably every game ever made.

steve

Guest Captain Foobar

well all i know is, I have replaced all my household appliances just in case they are not y2k compliant...I wont be without toast come January 1st!!!!!

No; Combat Mission is not Y2K compliant. I just received an urgent email indicating that certain True Type Fonts resident within the game will become garbled after midnight on December 31rst, rendering on screen text next to useless. Apparently, a major portion of the time that is now being used to finish the game is being utilized to convert everything over to Adobe fonts.

This is quite a widespread problem, and is affecting far more than just this game.

Now, if you believe this, then I have a certain bridge for sale....sight unseen.

Tom

Guest Big Time Software

Good one Tom smile.gif CoolGuy, my mother-in-law said she can't buy bottled water anywhere in her county. Every last drop has been bought up. Also knows of someone how spent $26k on some sort of generator system. All I have to say is... a fool and his/her money is EASILY parted.

Folks up in the northern NE US/Canada were without power for months two winters ago, yet I don't think anybody is rushing out to blow that much money (the person mentioned above is in CT). Y2k will, at most, disrupt power for a couple of hours. I bet it won't even do that...

Steve

Well I can give you the blow by blow from Oz as the turn over occurs on the board if you like. Unless there are some Kiwis looking in, we are the first "developed" country for Y2K to hit.

I say developed for the facetious benefit of those of you who have actually been here.

------------------

desert rat wannabe

Apparently Steve, on certain systems running Windows 98, Java applets can be hidden inside of display screen fonts, and run on systems that have an ActiveX desktop set up. Mind you, this is only on DOS boxes, and only with True Type fonts.

When W98 boots up, screen fonts are read into main memory space, and the compressed applet decompresses and runs. Strictly speaking, it is not a virus, but it can be very damaging to systems that are active at the turn of the millenium. The trouble of course being that most W98 users have never bothered to switch to Adobe fonts and thus are left vulnerable to this completely undocumented Y2K related problem.

Disclaimer: This is a joke, and I'm only trying to drive up the price of Adobe stock.

Tom

My mother told me of a friend's father whose doctor convinced him that he needed new hearing aids because his old ones weren't Y2K compliant.

It's this kind of thing that's the worst part of any big, uncertain event; all the people who are suckered into spending money to "safeguard" themselves.

DjB