Do we really want them?

Anyways artillery probably does some of the most awful things imaginable to the human body and it's widely used in the game (of course). 50 caliber rounds sever limbs and bisect people and they're in the game too.

And to expand the topic a bit, there's IEDs in CMSF. Ever seen a soldier that's been killed by an IED? I have, and well...it isn't pretty. I'll leave it at that. The idea that flamethrowers are somehow "worse" because of the way they kill their victims is awfully strange and makes little sense to my comprehension.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly Luke. Even being shot with 'just' a rifle can lead to some horrific wounds. It is what it is. I've never been in combat and seen that first hand. I have seen someone killed in civilian life, and found a friend dead before from an overdose. That was bad enough.

However, Im sure BFC will implement flamethrowers tastefully, which means there wont even be burnt crispy people after a flame attack like say in Close Combat.

Someone mentioned if the soldiers just laid there dead after the flame attack it'd look stupid but honestly it probably wouldn't be as ridiculous as it sounds. In CMx1 the flame would hit and kill people, and if you killed the whole squad you.d just have a body lying there. I honestly felt that the 3 man abstraction looked more ridiculous. Not to drag this O/T but 1:1 representation really helped CM. It's something I wanted before CM even came out, and for people who aren't grogs the abstraction was a deal breaker. I had a lot of intelligent friends who weren't super grogs, who would have played CMx1 but there was too much abstraction. 3 man squads and whatnot was a real immersion killer and turn off to people who wouldn't buy CM nearly no matter what because of their love of history.

It's much better now. Evidence of battles is much clearer by a carpet of bodies, and a company attack or whatever is waaay more impressive with a bunch of little men running around instead of it looking like 10 guys are attacking.

Id like to add that WP is also insanely horrific to be targetted by. Some of the worst war accounts I've ever read mention WP being used, especially on people in bunkers etc. I actually would argue that it's undermodelled as it is now. Troops can be hurt, etc but it seems in real life that it would nearly always incapacitate or kill you if it got on you in any meaningful amount. The game seems to let you get away with troops being lightly injured. Point is, WP causes insane burning wounds and agony to people, and I don't think people think about it or bat an eye when they use it in game. Flamethrowers get too much attention and I think if people truly understood or tried to understand what any of the weapons in game do to people they'd realize that flamethrowers are just one of thousands of awful ways to die on a battlefield - Bullets can decapitate, cause traumatic amputations, etc. Shells can vaporize, dismember, etc. I remember clearly a soldier being struck by dead Chinese (in Korea) everywhere, and one with a huge hunk of metal jammed through his skull. Another account mentions the dead after a barrage, their insides steaming in the cold air.

I already discussed WP. Shelling can also rupture all your internal organs from the shockwave. Landmines amputate, disembowel, etc. I could keep going on, but I think the point has been made.

Also O/T but I feel it should be adressed for immersion issues. In real life mortars give little to no warning. The tubing sound is it, and can only be heard very close by. ON MAP mortars do not make the 'incoming' whistle. However, off board mortars, even 60mm, make the incoming arty noise. Can this be fixed?