Interception

It seems to me that as aircraft are teched up with longer ranges then the interception ability becomes unrealistic as it is effectively happening over 100s of miles and there would not in reality be time to react to an enemy attack. I realise aircraft units represent several hundred actual planes spread over a number of airfields therefore not necessarily just in the actuall unit square but higher range tech should not increase the number of planes but rather how far they can fly. I suppose you could possibly argue that tech is also about radar early warning but I still think interceptors go too far. I went back to check what the manual says about interception and that seems to indicate that interception relates to the spotting range rather than the strike range but in the game it seems to be the strike range that is used.

I was thinking of suggesting that interception should be limited to half strike range (fractions rounded up) but if it really is supposed to be spotting range then that would be better if it can be made to work.

Regards

Mike

Hubert would have to clarify what the code is really doing. It may be that interceptions appear to be at strike range but are in fact calculated based on spotting range, in which case the display for where the air battle occurs may need to be looked at. I'm not sure offhand, but would agree that the reduced spotting range should be used.

Hi Pzgrndr

It certainly seems as if the yellow highlight indicating the intercept range goes out to maximum strike range and that is what appears to happen in the game.

I increasingly use the AA unit to provide protection and I give that a range of 2 as I regard it as conceptually a number of AA batteries assigned to a theatre mainly because space constraints would make it too unwieldy to have lots of AA units occupying squares. The same sort of argument applies to fighters but in that case it is the steady increase of range from higher tech levels for fighters that makes them seem anomalous.

Regards

Mike

Hi Hubert

I do not have to send you a saved game. If you just try the standard Axis High Tide scenario you will find that the yellow highlight which indicates the interception range is actually lighting up at full range minus 1 not spotting range minus 1. In fact I think spotting range minus 1 might be too short as in this scenarion the unmodified planes can only spot out to 2 so the intercept range would be just 1. I think spotting range itself might be about right.

Regards

Mike

• 2 weeks later...