Is it just me or is the AI REALLY poor with artillery usage?

Hmmm...you cant say that in general. IMO that depends on the scenario. In my current campaign in CMFI i cant spend more than 2-3 turns in contact with the enemy until spotting rounds start falling next to me. The AI really makes sure i either stay on the move or out of its LOS. Now since the current battle is a 3 hours scenario, this means i am constantly dodging one arty strike after the other.

But its true, the AI does not always handle its arty that well. I remember that i once saw it striking an empty field that was no where near my troops again and again and again.

Many times by scenario's end, it's barely used any of its artillery at all. If it does use it, it's very poorly.

My experience has been the opposite. It probably depends on how well the AI plan is setup, but I have found the AI more proficient using artillery than at using infantry or armor.

My experiences have been opposite as well. The only terrible decisions I have noticed with the AI using artillery is directly after deployment during QB's. Otherwise, if I stay in contact with the enemy for even a short period, pretty reliably a barrage is called down on my forces.

It also may depend on the difficulty level you are playing. Lower levels mean faster call times so maybe the AI does better in these situatuions? This is opposite to what it should be though because higher levels (Warrior) will mean the AI has a harder time calling in effective strikes because you almost have to predict where the enemy will be due to the longer call times.

My experience has been the opposite. It probably depends on how well the AI plan is setup, but I have found the AI more proficient using artillery than at using infantry or armor.

Same here. I would say I take more casualties to AI arty than anything else. With tanks and infantry I think it can lose the "I" in AI. Not too bright in many cases especialy on the attack. On defense it can be ok, but that all depends on the scenario designer in setting ambushes.

In order for the AI to use it's artillery assets the truppen calling it in have to be sitting around for a while. If the AI attacker hasn't been given any pauses at a location that exceed at least five minutes then they aren't going to call any artillery because the spotter will constantly be on the move.

It also may depend on the difficulty level you are playing. Lower levels mean faster call times so maybe the AI does better in these situatuions? This is opposite to what it should be though because higher levels (Warrior) will mean the AI has a harder time calling in effective strikes because you almost have to predict where the enemy will be due to the longer call times.

My experience with AI artillery is entirely on Warrior and Iron difficulty.

Only AI-artytrouble that I've had, was when playing QB and I let the game choose forces. Multiple times I got nice bit of artysupport, but couldn't use it because of not having any forward observers. None of the given units had permission for calling in the assigned arty (or airsupport); "DENIED".

Not too bad a situation, but for sure a little annoying.

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry bit of a bump here but how much control does the scenario designer have over how the AI uses its arty?

In this case they were 60mm mortars during an Allied assault (I was defending). By the en of the battle only 1 out of 4 of the enemy mortars had fired a shot.

The designer has no control after any first turn bombardment. The designer can set a bombardment that begins on turn one, but after that the AI uses it on it's own.

With me it's a mixed bag.

I'm playing my first campaing - "Kampfgruppe Engel" (nice campaing by the way). I'm halfway through and mission six yesterday is a good example: took some nice placed harrassment fire, one of my half-squads got horribly stonked but most of his heavy stuff re-plowed some empty fields in litterally the last minutes of the game (couldn't change the outcome at all anymore).

Best regards

Olf