has anybody managed to make a working mission with the editor ?

CharlieChap

Has anybody managed to produce a working mission with it as yet ?

I havn't looked at this title for ages but spent most of this evening trying to make something very simple with the mission editor.

Something very strange is going on with it. It outputs .msd files...

But there is not a single .msd file in the game.

The native mission files that PT boats uses are .py files ?

Possibly the .msd format will work (the editor can reload them correctly which is a good sign isn't it..) but I wonder if the actual game can read them ?...

(or I have not put them in the correct place, but I have followed the documentation that there is, its not very clear. I do see the mission showing up in the menu, it loads (thats the xml bit etc done ok) but then PT boats cannot read the mission file because it loads it instantly without a load bar...

I doubt there is any point in holding out for anything more really with this is there :-(....

(To further compound my frustration, I bought this very early on release, a couple of computers later etc...and I went to install it in duplicate today to see if the mission thing was OS related and would be OK with an older XP installation. It told me I had used up my activations and would have to buy it again !.

Thats about installation 4 and 2-3 years later.I was under the impression that I had bought and owned the game !. )

Buy this again...you must be joking ! Its an unmitigated disaster isn't it.

Unfortunately Akella hasn't given us any more information than what is in the HTML help file for the editor. I'm not sure why it is putting out a file with the .msd extension. .PY is usually an extension for a python script file.

I haven't personally done anything with the editor. Have you tried changing the extension of the outputted file to '.py' ?

I can see why the bundle with South Gambit and KOTS only cost me $15 earlier today. I can't even start the game. Apparently, I need to install Ageia PhysX drivers????? But whguich ones? A few comments I found through Google search suggests I have to mess with the Nvidia drivers, and perhaps I have to try DirectX v.9.

Seriously, WTF?

Schrullencraft, can you help me out? I have Windows 7/64 bit, Core2 duo, 3Gig

Thanks, mate!

I've only recently tried anything with the level editor myself. The window of the editor is actually taller than my screen, and there is no good way for me to work with the lower options.

I tried to start really easy, making a multiplayer environment, but it doesn't seem to work. It doesn't even seem to work if I start from an existing map, change it to what I want it to look like, and than save it as its own mission.

I was going to try to make smaller changes, to see if it was about anything I messed up, and I was going to try making a normal singleplayer mission, to see if that would work, but apparently it's something more basic, if more people are having this trouble.

EDIT: I've been digging into the forum. Apparently, the editor works for some, but there's no clear reason it doesn't for others. That also seems to be the only old thread I can find about this issue, and it doesn't contain any answers...

It does say something about patch 1.4 being changed after it turned out the documentation wasn't showing in the help of the editor in KOTS (mine doesn't show), but that shouldn't affect the missions playability, right?

EDIT again: O no, wait, there's some good tips here. I haven't done anything with xml files yet, so I'm going to try reading that very carefully. Maybe that could do something.

And @ mjkerner: What exactly does the error message you're getting say? Is there any more info in it?

mjkerner - the game installer should have installed some PhysX software. If it didn't, then you can download the current PhysX software, 9.12.1031 (Nov 2012).

There is also a startup video that should play. A codec install should have also been a part of the PT Boats install (XVid). If the game is crashing before it starts to play the video, then perhaps having the game NOT play the video may help. The 'start.ini' file's entry of:

<play_intro val = "1"/>

should be changed to this:

<play_intro val = "0"/>

and then saved (as a simple text file). This SHOULD prevent the intro movie from playing.

That did it for me. The editor let's you input certain information that the menu needs to display, but doesn't save it. That information is in a seperate file, and you can't run the mission without it. Network missions each have their own .xml, the singleplayers share a single one. They can all be found in GameData\LOCALE\en\missions. They can be opened, edited and saved under a different name using wordpad or any other text editor. If you have a .msd in the right folder and a .xml with the same name in the other right folder, it should work. I don't know if that's what was happening with you Charlie, but it was what I was doing wrong.