Green German Tracers?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odd. That makes it more strange of a mistake. It's unfortunate that this is one of my weaker areas of WW2 history so I can't really say if some new type of artillery ammunition or something was introduced, something he may be confusing it with. Oh well.

Odd. That makes it more strange of a mistake.

Or maybe a very human one. He probably had read something about the VT fuse but not remembered clearly when it was introduced into ground combat. Then he reads something while preparing his book about artillery delivering airbursts. Not being totally steeped in the history of the war, he—mistakenly—puts the two together and voilá! instant mistake.

Michael

I think he might have gotten confused with time set fuses, which will airburst over the target if set correctly and all the planets are aligned. We have those in CM already for planned barrages.

They work for TRPs as well, not all indirect fire modules, but most field artillery as far as I can tell.

Yes. Not for mortars though, like you said only artillery. TRPs or preplanned fire. Always good to note though, I have seen 25 lber fire (so German 105 or US 105 would do nicely. Not mortars and I dont know about 75s) kill Panthers and Tigers of mine. In that case it's better to use regular shells. Same with infantry in a building as a target, or bunkers for that matter.

Kind of off-topic, but has anyone read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels? Captain Aubrey was always looking for cheap black powder so he could have his crew practice marksmanship, and one time he got a few oddly-marked barrels from a defunct fireworks manufacturer. When the crew tried them out their cannons let out huge red, green, and white bursts. Just thought I'd mention it, since this thread reminded me of those great books.

I wonder whether tracer colors changed due to late-war supply and quality control problems (there, that was sort of on topic).

I wonder whether tracer colors changed due to late-war supply and quality control problems (there, that was sort of on topic).

Hmm but he's talking about early 1943. I guess that's sort of late war. I never got into the Master and Commander series, but I did always love the Hornblower series. (of books)

Kind of off-topic, but has anyone read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels?

Yep. Been through the entire series (except for the posthumous book 21) twice now. Have toyed with going through it again but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Captain Aubrey was always looking for cheap black powder so he could have his crew practice marksmanship, and one time he got a few oddly-marked barrels from a defunct fireworks manufacturer. When the crew tried them out their cannons let out huge red, green, and white bursts. Just thought I'd mention it, since this thread reminded me of those great books.

I remember that episode. Thought it was funny. O'Brian was not a perfect writer—if I were to put on an academic cap I could find things to fault him for—but he was a damned good one and one of the most entertaining I've ever come across.

Michael

I never got into the Master and Commander series, but I did always love the Hornblower series. (of books)

Seems like one must choose one or the other. I read all the Hornblower books and enjoyed them, but like O'Brian better. Haven't gotten into the Kent Alexander stories yet. He definitely has his partisans, so I may wander into them yet.

Michael

I found O'Brian too dry, but maybe I never gave him enough chance. I only read the first one. But Master & Commander movie was excellent!

I didn't start reading O'Brian until after I'd gone through the complete Hornblower twice. Loved Hornblower! Alexander Kent is good too. Haven't read all of them though. Stuck in WWII at the moment.:D

Absolutely LOVED the Aubrey/Maturin books. Just the relationship between the two of them was fantastic. When I was finishing them I really didn't want them to end. It was like I was going to lose two great friends.

I remember the fireworks black powder too, great stuff!

Those books stand very high on my lists of all time favorites.

Personally I favor the middle of the series where it gets more heavily involved in espionage.

Yeah, I think I like the middle of the series best too. That story where Maturin cooks up a phony report that implicates in treason all the top men in the French intelligence service and then plants it on an American spy who was working for the French was just delicious.

But I think my favorite story was the one set in Mauritius. That was just beautiful. India was nice too.

Michael

Kind of off-topic, but has anyone read Patrick O'Brian's Aubrey/Maturin novels? Captain Aubrey was always looking for cheap black powder so he could have his crew practice marksmanship, and one time he got a few oddly-marked barrels from a defunct fireworks manufacturer. When the crew tried them out their cannons let out huge red, green, and white bursts. Just thought I'd mention it, since this thread reminded me of those great books.

Yes! ... These are just a great series. I think I got to book #11 and have been meaning to complete the series since a couple of years ago ... But have since gotten caught up in different reads.

Yeah, I think I like the middle of the series best too. That story where Maturin cooks up a phony report that implicates in treason all the top men in the French intelligence service and then plants it on an American spy who was working for the French was just delicious.

But I think my favorite story was the one set in Mauritius. That was just beautiful. India was nice too.

Michael

And I think it might have been book #3 ... where Aubrey is laid up on land with half-pay and Maturin manages to get him a ship ... but he has to leave NOW. .... Not a half page later and he's rumbling down the stairs with his war-chest ready to head out to sea again ... wife in shock .. kids whimpering ... Jack Aubrey beaming!

India was nice too.
The part about the young Indian girl who adopts Maturin is indeed very memorable.

My favorite setting though is the island in Indonesia where Maturin hikes to the old Buddhist temple up in the mountains and finds the animals there are all tame. It's either The Nutmeg of Consolation or the book right before.

I feel for you guys who are reading the series piecemeal. I used a coupon to buy a nice complete set at a discount, and it was a great purchase. If you like the books, I recommend going the complete set route if you can, since otherwise you'll always be hunting around for the next volume.