Do Troops Mis-ID Vehicles Anymore?

If no, why not? I did enjoy this feature in CMx1 and upon reflection never recall seeing a Tiger change in a Panzer as my troops revised their initial panicky identification.

And yes, Im asking because Im hoping that my troops just are having Tiger terror in a night PBEM.

I noticed the sound contacts being wrong sometimes before 2.00

But I was referring to how in CMx1 your troops would spot a tank emerging from a treeline. A Tiger! Several seconds would pass and the tank would change into a Pz IV as the crew stopped $hitting their pants as much.

In version 2.00 AFVs are mis-ID by sound contacts e.g. armoured car gives sound contact of tank.

Are you sure that's not the "light armour" ?-icon?

?-icons aren't necessarily "sound contacts". They include sound contacts, but you can get ?-icons from infantry that haven't fired over 500m away (which you couldn't possibly have heard).

The new ?-icons from v2, at least in FI, seem to just replace the v1 straight "?" with a general class. I can't recall actually seeing any plain "?" icons in FI. Is that different in BN v2.0

How much info you get on ID contacts does depend on what play level you are playing.

Not really. How much info is displayed on the icon varies but Elite and Iron still show you detailed info in the unit pane.

...e.g. armoured car gives sound contact of tank.

I haven't observed what the game does, but compared to the reality, that just doesn't sound right. Armored cars and other recce vehicles often had extra muffling so that their sound signature would be less noticeable. Presumably in addition to being quieter, their lack of tracks would also alter the character of their sounds.

Michael