BBS Limitations? I think we found em!

Guest Big Time Software

Guest Big Time Software

I closed off the thread on the tile system. Seems that the BBS software took the last response from Thomm and stuck my response into his slot instead of making a new one. The good thing is that I quoted pretty much his whole post, so nothing much was lost. To avoid damaging the thread further, and because it was basically finished up anyways, I locked it up tight. Funny, I was going to close it anyways as it was TOO LONG and took forever to load. Guess the BBS bug saved me the trouble smile.gif

Steve

Guest PatB_TGN

Steve,

I don't want to tell you your business, but perhaps BTS should consider getting a de-bugged (if there's such a thing) version of a web BBS. Once CM hits the market, 30+ threads in a single post will be common. smile.gif

-Patrick

[This message has been edited by PatB_TGN (edited 05-21-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Well, I don't think there is such a thing smile.gif There is a newer version of this web software, but it will probably take the better of two days to upgrade it as I made a LARGE number of changes to the scripts. Not sure if it fixes whatever bug we hit, but I'll check.

BTW, it looks to have been the LENGTH of the text in that thread, not the number of responses. When the error happened the page was 100k! I was going to close it anyways simply because it was taking too long to load.

Steve

Dear Big Time Software Team !

Thanks for the nice discussion on LOS we had, I hope you did not get too bored answering me !

Congratulations on your algorithm ! Now I think I understand the principles and innovations of your engine and you made me really curious of how it works in reality ! I already started to subconsciously measure LOS lengths when strolling through the streets and the woods; time to take it more easy, it seems wink.gif.

I wish you would have time to compile our discussion in a simple sketch showing the terrain mesh along with some tiles, subtiles and a exemplary LOS, because it is the knowledge of those beautiful technology details that makes ME buy games - and maybe others, too ...

Thomm the Convert (looking for his Diners')

P.S.: How fine do you subdivide the 60 second moves, i. e. what is the smallest time increment during the move evaluation ? One second ?

Guest Big Time Software

We subdivide each 'time slice' down to 0.025 of a second. This makes for very smooth and realistic action. A speeding bullet travels only about 20 meters in such a small amount of time! smile.gif

Charles