Saving Private Ryan and CM

First of all it was great to see that BTS listens to the fans of CM. I have been monitoring your board for months now waiting for the demo. Simply stated it rocks the house big time, to the point I am not even going bother-buying CC4.

However, what I find lacking in the game is the sounds of battle. Yesterday I watched Saving Private Ryan while playing CM. I turned off the CM sounds and turned up the volume for SPR. It was hands sweating great. I hope the sounds of battle are improved on this already great game. Thanks.

SniperScope

Hmmm. I find the sounds to be one of the best things about CM. I don't know what kind of speakers you have hooked up, but it really rocks if you have a subwoofer. Also try using headphones. They made the effort to make sounds directional, and it's easier to discern direction with headphones.

Sound has been improved since the beta demo although I must say that the beta demo has the majority of sounds which are in CM.

What exactly was your issue? Were they too loud or quiet or something? personally during a big firefight I find the cacophony pretty amazing.

Make sure you have 3dimensionality enabled on youre sounds.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Sniper,

Make sure that you have downloaded the latest drivers for your soundcard. Even then, I understand that there are some sound issues. For instance, I have a Turtle Beach Montego II, and even with the latest drivers I get very little sound (basicall just engine noise and fire). So your problem may be similar. From what see others saying, the sound is outstanding frown.gif

Rob

Sniper,

Make sure that you have downloaded the latest drivers for your soundcard. Even then, I understand that there are some sound issues. For instance, I have a Turtle Beach Montego II, and even with the latest drivers I get very little sound (basicall just engine noise and fire). So your problem may be similar. From what see others saying, the sound is outstanding frown.gif

Rob

Rob, I have the same sound card!!Turtle Beach Montego II. Maybe this the cause? I will re-check for new drivers. The sound I am getting is very basic, "move out, aguh! some cannon fire if you are close to the tank etc etc. I just want to be clear on this issue. What I am talking about is sound heard across the battlefield at the same time. For example, in CC3 the sounds of battle can be heard across the field of battle Thanks for all who posted.

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Sniperscope,

Well, *now* your post makes sense to us smile.gif Yeah, sounds like your sound card is messing up your ride in a major way! Even with my old, slower system I got more sounds than what you described. So something, the driver most likely, is basically deciding on its own what you should and should not hear. That is never a good thing wink.gif

Steve

Sound cards, got to love them..

I update my Monster MX330 with Aureal's reference drivers and poof half the sound out of CM went away... I was browsing thru the boards and found someone found a solution... I disabled the hardware acceleration function of my "multi-media" component of my sound... Poof all the sound was back... (but, alas it screwed up my Panzer Elite sounds)... It took me a while to realize where my sound hardware acceleration was located... Under my computer in the control panel you should find a multi-media icon... It was in here under an advance button was a slider adjusting the sound acceleration... I imagine this might be the problem with your Montego's.... I don't remember what chipset they use, but give it ago...

Guest Charles

Sniper--

I also have an Aureal soundcard (Vortex Storm). Instead of disabling sound acceleration, go to where your Directx files are and click on DDiag. You should see a tab for sound. Click it, and you will see where you can turn down acceleration without turning it off completely. This worked for me.

BTW, I have DirectX 7.0

Hope this helps.

------------------

Not THE Charles from BTS

Eureka! Ron's suggestion worked. I don't know WHY it worked, but now I can hear !! smile.gif

1. Go to the control panel

2. Open Multimedia

3. Go to the "Audio" tab

4. In the section entitled "Playback" click on the "Advanced Properties" button

5. Click on the "Performance" tab

6. Set the "Hardware Acceleration" slide to any setting other than full acceleration. I don't notice any difference between the various settings, so I leave it on the next highest setting.

7. Sit back and delight as you hear screaming, MG's, canon, grenades and a heavenly choir of angels (ok, maybe the last part is just me smile.gif

RobVarak,

AHA! Glad it worked for you.. I always felt the sounds in CM were really immersive and always have been surprised when people complain about them.. Of course since I'm totally atechnical wink.gif I forget it could be due to soundcard problems.

Glad to hear it cleared up for you though. Check out the HMG 42 wink.gif... All German commanders will love its sound (denotes shredded Allied infantry squads hehe wink.gif )

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest GriffinCheng

Moreover, sound are locational. If you move your view close to fire fight or gun impact location, you would find this game pretty "noisy". Also, the ground shakes when the shell pounds the ground!

I just find the sounds a bit tinny on my Studio Speaker (they are very accurate) - sort of like through a telephone effect. The SOund is SPR sound much better wink.gif In terms of beefiness and realism, that oooee kill sound sounds naff frown.gif

------------------

CCJ

aka BLITZ_Force

My Homepage - Just updated, check out my MP3

and Combat Mission photos

www.geocities.com/coolcolj/