Play-by-e-mail Curiosity

Merry Christmas everyone !

I have a question for those who play by e-mail: how long does it take you to finish a game ? Can you plot your moves simultaneously ? Do you usually play in one session or with breaks (days even ?) ?

The reason I am asking is that I finally finished my first CM game (Reisberg, Total Victory for me, the Allies biggrin.gif ) and it took me about four hours, which is quite long (on a working day, at least). I found it very rewarding, by the way: mortar attack on a mis-identified gun (just an empty house), a commando raid wink.gif on a 88, 3D stealth moves using 'trench cam' and so on ! Very interesting, indeed !

Nevertheless, I seldom have time to play that long in one continous session, so I wondered how this works with play by e-mail !

Regards,

Thomm

Thomm,

Generally email play is done at the rate of one turn per day.

A ten turn game should take roughly ten days at that rate.. Basically if you wake and there is a turn waiting you will plot it and send it to your opponent who plots his moves in the evenenig and sends the results back to you.

Of course, you can choose to meet them on ICQ and swap files there but I think simply emailing one turn per day is what you're after.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I've done a turn a day games as well as all night marathons. I prefer marathon gaming myself and generally, once started, will play 3 to 4 hour blocks.

My PBEM rate has varied from 1 turn every couple days to 4 turns a night (that was against Goanna in AU; his afternoon coincides with my pre-beddybye time, so we would talk on AIM and exchange turns. UNfortunately, some problem startred murgling the files I was sending him and he couldn't any movies, so we had to quit after only those 4 turns.)

DjB

And is it also common practice to play more than one e-mail games simultaneously ? I can imagine that this would be quite time efficient because one could compensate the time lags of different opponents.

By the way, wouldn't multi-player games become quite easy to program if you use a chain e-mail that originates from player A, who sends it to player B, then is forwarded to player C and so on until it comes back to A for evaluation and the loop starts again ? Would be fascinating I think !

Regards,

Thomm